4:3 pc monitor obsolete or good deals??

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I see some of these that are high definition led at goodwill . They said next Monday should be $1 ea are these good for retro gaming on pc ? And or just pc use in general ?
How could you beat a dollar ??
Or are they just junk I should had got some pics , make brands dell , acer etc .

Look like 15-18” screen dvi input for hdtv
Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you should bring them all home then have your mom help you carry them upstairs and hook everything up for a tv shootout.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I think you should bring them all home then have your mom help you carry them upstairs and hook everything up for a tv shootout.
Judging by
eBay prices I should buy them all and try and sell them lol
They might not even be 4:3 haha ... whatever the first older pc hdtv screens were . Maybe I should just use tv screens for pc monitor when I get a better laptop

Maybe there just more junk to pass on a good pc monitor today is better then the old ones anyway .
If I could find something that could just teleport these screens to my room ... magically
Tesla spoken to them

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Odds are none are as good as the Samsung sync master ? Or should I just fill my whole car up with old monitors ... hope they go back into style someday .??

Tesla spoken to them

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You need to define retro gaming, how far back?

Real retro gaming would use CRT, which you already complain about. Do you really retro game? What system and emulators are you using?

These can be good monitors, depending on your application.

In your case.........

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You need to define retro gaming, how far back?

Real retro gaming would use CRT, which you already complain about. Do you really retro game? What system and emulators are you using?

These can be good monitors, depending on your application.

In your case.........
Like retro ps1-ps2 time frame late 90:s? Early 2000
Whats an emulator ?
Some old games are stretched with bars on a wide screen monitor.
ahh I need a pc that can play old games like c & c generals etc .. old Starcraft I do have ps1 games but specifically these are for pc games .

Tesla spoken to them

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Like retro ps1-ps2 time frame late 90:s? Early 2000
Whats an emulator ?
Some old games are stretched with bars on a wide screen monitor.
ahh I need a pc that can play old games like c & c generals etc .. old Starcraft I do have ps1 games but specifically these are for pc games .

Tesla spoken to them
Likely work great for PS1 and PS2.

You gotta understand, that generation of gaming is "barely" retro. Real retro gaming comes from the likes of Atari 2600, Commodore 64, NES, Sega, SNES, etc.

For the purist, original equipment is the only way to play retro games, which is awesome! But, emulation allows for tens of thousands of games across various platforms.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Likely work great for PS1 and PS2.

You gotta understand, that generation of gaming is "barely" retro. Real retro gaming comes from the likes of Atari 2600, Commodore 64, NES, Sega, SNES, etc.

For the purist, original equipment is the only way to play retro games, which is awesome! But, emulation allows for tens of thousands of games across various platforms.

No actual game is required for a emulator that’s amazing ?
I guess my version of retro gaming is just modern pre high definition games lmao

Tesla spoken to them

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Should had wrote down model numbers or took pictures I think they were like 1280 x 1024 or something maybe not 4:3 but they were not widescreen at a dollar ea should get all of them . They were mint

Tesla spoken to them

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is very little use of those older monitors that can't be accomplished with current monitors. The big headaches may be any source that requires copyright protection and if that'll work. As well, older game systems used composite video input, not VGA or DVI.

Really, you can get there using MAME and a current monitor after you figure everything out. Don't ask me, because I have NOT figured everything out with MAME. There are a ton of tutorials online if you decide to get into retro gaming. MAME does seem like the proper way to do so.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
MAME is great! But, that is only for arcade games (MAME = Multiple Arcade Machine Emulation).

For other consoles, you need other emulators.

The RPi is an excellent emulation machine! The catch is that it can only run games up to ~mid-1990s for the arcade and up to about SNES. It starts to struggle on PS1 and N64 generation and anything newer.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
There is very little use of those older monitors that can't be accomplished with current monitors. The big headaches may be any source that requires copyright protection and if that'll work. As well, older game systems used composite video input, not VGA or DVI.

Really, you can get there using MAME and a current monitor after you figure everything out. Don't ask me, because I have NOT figured everything out with MAME. There are a ton of tutorials online if you decide to get into retro gaming. MAME does seem like the proper way to do so.
So if it’s not widescreen it’s useless ??

Then I guess the best answer is to pass on them .
Tesla spoken to them

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Protron LCD TV
This is a weird thing so heavy !! Wtf
A junk tv like that’s probably better then a 1280 x 1024 pc screen haha
Why would anyone sell this or buy it ?
Heavier then plasma !!

Tesla spoken to them

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Even at $1 it is a good plan to pass on them. You have better things to do with your money.

The Protron likely has a pretty poor overall image quality, but it does have a DVI input...

It says it supports up to 1080i resolution, which is typical for something of that era. You don't get audio onboard with it if you use DVI so the lack of a HDMI connection really blows. It's also unclear if the DVI connection supports copyright protection (HDCP) which is super important. Really, not a bad display if you keep in mind that this should just show an 'acceptable' HD image, nothing spectacular in the least. I have several 1365x768 resolution HDTVs which I've used with my kids and such over the years. I barely know what to do with them now that I've switched things up to a larger TV for them.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Even at $1 it is a good plan to pass on them. You have better things to do with your money.

The Protron likely has a pretty poor overall image quality, but it does have a DVI input...

It says it supports up to 1080i resolution, which is typical for something of that era. You don't get audio onboard with it if you use DVI so the lack of a HDMI connection really blows. It's also unclear if the DVI connection supports copyright protection (HDCP) which is super important. Really, not a bad display if you keep in mind that this should just show an 'acceptable' HD image, nothing spectacular in the least. I have several 1365x768 resolution HDTVs which I've used with my kids and such over the years. I barely know what to do with them now that I've switched things up to a larger TV for them.
How can a input type be copyrighted? I’m not sure if I understand?
So the old monitors are essentially useless junk so end up at goodwill ? I might still keep an eye out for another Samsung sync master or a widescreen newer monitor . Only found one good tv in goodwill ever .

Tesla spoken to them

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It’s possible some are 1080 in just taking a guess they are 2002-2009 models of of monitors some could be modern.
I wish I had took some pictures of model numbers too look up at home but new pc monitor are cheap even up to 30” size they were 15-18”.

Tesla spoken to them

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So the old monitors are essentially useless junk so end up at goodwill ? I might still keep an eye out for another Samsung sync master or a widescreen newer monitor . Only found one good tv in goodwill ever .

Tesla spoken to them
Not necessarily junk, but not really good for anything you want either.

If you had some project lined up like building retro arcade gaming cabinet, those would likely be a steal!

But, you don't have that project lined up, so don't bother.

Example (I have a much better looking system now, this was my very first attempt at this, I just don't have pics of my new system to post).

The pics are post #14 and #15

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You really need to learn how to Google terms you don't understand.

I did not say the input was copyrighted. I said the input SUPPORTS copyright protection (HDCP).

Digital video carried on DVI and HDMI connections can be encrypted with copyright protection. The data itself. And while all modern TVs support HDCP, in one form or another, older TVs and monitors didn't always support HDCP copyright protection on their digital inputs. Especially with computer monitors and early digital televisions.

Newer 4K TVs support copyright projection HDCP 2.2.

TRY THIS LINK IT WILL HELP YOU OUT IMMENSELY:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
MAME is great! But, that is only for arcade games (MAME = Multiple Arcade Machine Emulation).

For other consoles, you need other emulators.

The RPi is an excellent emulation machine! The catch is that it can only run games up to ~mid-1990s for the arcade and up to about SNES. It starts to struggle on PS1 and N64 generation and anything newer.
I have pretty much everything but PS2 and up on my shield TV. Even game cube games run well.

I use my PC for PS2 and Wii (haven't played with Wii U yet, but it's supposedly very good on the PC).

Old consoles are great, and I have quite a few, but I don't want to kill them when the experience is 99% as good emulated on my shield TV.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You really need to learn how to Google terms you don't understand.

I did not say the input was copyrighted. I said the input SUPPORTS copyright protection (HDCP).

Digital video carried on DVI and HDMI connections can be encrypted with copyright protection. The data itself. And while all modern TVs support HDCP, in one form or another, older TVs and monitors didn't always support HDCP copyright protection on their digital inputs. Especially with computer monitors and early digital televisions.

Newer 4K TVs support copyright projection HDCP 2.2.

TRY THIS LINK IT WILL HELP YOU OUT IMMENSELY:
People at work get PISSED when I send them those links. Worth it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis