$2500 to $3000 for PJ and mounted screen

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
Well I'm late to the party. I would have suggested an InFocus X10 projector, but that's just me. I had a good experience with my InFocus IN72, and would have bought the X10 but I ended up buying a 67" DLP-LED TV for the same price. 'Course the built in ATSC HD tuner and lack of need for a screen makes the TV cheaper overall. And the LED light source is leaps and bounds better than the 3000 hour projector bulbs.... wonder why they haven't gone to LED sources in projectors yet?!?!?!

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Need suggestions on the screen. The Carada Criterion looks good. Is the extra cost for the "whiter" screen worth paying?

All opinions and ideas welcome.

TIA,

Dave
Congrats on the projector purchase! I don't think you will be disappointed, my dad absolutely loves his and has had zero problems after about 150 hours of use, and he got one of the first to ship from projectorpeople.

I don't think you need the gain of the brilliant white unless you have lots of ambient light. I got advice directly from David at Carada when I got my 92" 1.78:1 Criterion screen and he recommended that I go with the classic cinema white because I had full control over the lighting in my dedicated HT (no windows). That was "back in the day ;)" when I was using a Sharp DT-200 DLP PJ that was certainly not very bright. You should decide based on how much ambient light you will have/want to have, as the Panny is a little above average brightness for its price range/competition.

Needless to say, I have been very happy with my screen selection, and I think if I still have the screen when I upgrade projectors, I won't have any need for a screen upgrade (unless I want one that is much bigger :D). It sounds like you have already got this decided, but if there is any doubt, I would also recommend the Criterion over the Precision series even if you had to go a little smaller for budget reasons because the beveled frame of the Criterion prevents any shadows - it is worth it.

As for the sub - I have been researching for a while myself (for the somewhat near future). I am thinking of going DIY and building my own (with advice from some of the much more practiced sub builders here :)). If I don't build my own, I have decided the SVS PB12-Plus is the way to go for me. It seems amazing for the price.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
I don't think you need the gain of the brilliant white unless you have lots of ambient light. I got advice directly from David at Carada when I got my 92" 1.78:1 Criterion screen and he recommended that I go with the classic cinema white
If you (the OP) have full control over light in a room, it may be worth looking into a high contrast screen. I bought a DaLite high contrast and it worked excellent even with some ambient light. High contrast is actually a grey screen, but it's designed to alow much better black levels than a white screen.

Something to look into anyway...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis