$2500 to $3000 for PJ and mounted screen

P

PopDisplay

Junior Audioholic
Looking for equipment opinions for my dedicated HT
I have a $2500 to $3000 budget for the PJ and 60" x 107" mounted screen.

18' x 27' HT has 4 windows with good light control

Also, does anybody have any experience/opinion on Control 4 remote control systems?

TIA,

Dave

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Do you plan to watch mostly at night?

Do you already have the sound system?

P

PopDisplay

Junior Audioholic
Do you plan to watch mostly at night?

Do you already have the sound system?

Yes, our use of the room will be 80% at night.

I have a rocket system on order; not due to ship for another month. If I can't find somebody to audition the system before the ship date, I will buy a different system.

Dave

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Are there any reviews on the Epson 6500UB?
I doubt it. You can pre-order it but it hasn't been shipped from Epson to dealers AFAIK. It is going to be a great PJ though.

Usually I don't see reviews pop up until about the same week as the PJ is shipped to dealers, if not a while after.

I also have to second the recommendation for a Panasonic PT-AE3000U and a Carada screen that fits your room, as I have had great experience with these.

S

Sherardp

Audioholic
Go for the JVC HD1 or HD100 for PJ, for screen I 2nd the suggestion of the Carada. Precision model will do you fine, however if the budget allows spring for the Criterion model with the wider bezel. Carada offers a high quality product with 1st class customer service, so you'll definitely be pleased.

I recommend the JVC for its inky black and excellent contrast. With the Carada BW material you'll get the blacks the JVC provides and allot of pop in your picture. I speak from personal experience with the JVC HD1 and Carada 126" screen in my theater, my room is 14x22.

Panny 3000U is a very good projector, however it seems Panny has allot of QC issues with dust blobs and stuck pixels. I would take the new Sony HW10 over the Panny if the JVC is out of your budget. Take a look at the Sony and Happy Shopping, you're in for a treat with the larger screen.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Go for the JVC HD1 or HD100 for PJ, for screen I 2nd the suggestion of the Carada. Precision model will do you fine, however if the budget allows spring for the Criterion model with the wider bezel. Carada offers a high quality product with 1st class customer service, so you'll definitely be pleased.

I recommend the JVC for its inky black and excellent contrast. With the Carada BW material you'll get the blacks the JVC provides and allot of pop in your picture. I speak from personal experience with the JVC HD1 and Carada 126" screen in my theater, my room is 14x22.

Panny 3000U is a very good projector, however it seems Panny has allot of QC issues with dust blobs and stuck pixels. I would take the new Sony HW10 over the Panny if the JVC is out of your budget. Take a look at the Sony and Happy Shopping, you're in for a treat with the larger screen.
I can't concur with the JVC or Sony PJ recommendations, not due to PQ, but simply because none of these, at least to my knowledge, would fit into the OP's requested budget of $2500 to $3000 (except maybe used, but then you get into dark territory there too with warranties, use history, care, etc.), let alone with the addition of a screen :confused:! We are here to help and should keep the OP's budget a top priority when making these recommendations, because it is not unreasonable to get a very nice system within this range.

Including a Carada screen, these ones would come close to the upper end of the budget, or go over a bit:
Epson Home Cinema 6100: $1999
Panasonic PT-AE3000U: $2499
Epson Home Cinema 6500UB: $2799 (pushing the limits of the budget after adding a screen)

These are good-to-amazing projectors, but add a screen and they don't even come close to $3000:
Sony VPL-HW10: at least $3200
JVC DLA-HD1: at least $3,700
JVC DLA-HD100: at least $6,000

I heard a bit about the dust blobs with Panasonic, but haven't experienced it, nor have the majority of owners, but if this makes you nervous, go with an Epson. However, I actually returned a Sony VPL-VW40 which is essentially the predecessor of the Sony VPL-HW10, and I can't really recommend it at all, not because of PQ, but because Sony has a weak feature set compared to all other competitors in the 1080p projector market. See my thread on the VW40 (my first here actually :)) and note that the lens adjustment features have not changed for the HW10:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48487&highlight=sony+vpl-vw40

My thought is if one had the budget for an LCoS PJ, get a JVC, otherwise get an Epson or Panasonic LCD. A shootout of the JVC DLA-RS2 and the Epson 1080UB actually showed that (in the opinion of the reviewer), the JVC wasn't worth the extra money. I can't cite this for certain, but I think it was projectorreview.com...

Last edited:
S

Sherardp

Audioholic
^ I dont believe the reviewer from projectorreview.com would say that about the JVC, afterall he owns the RS1 in his own setup. Perhaps along the lines, if the budget allows go for the JVC.

With the that said look into the Epson 1080 UB. I like the Panasonic PJs also, just wouldnt own one until they can get their act right. I mean Im sure they are very happy owners out there, but too much has been said about these dust blobs, convergence issues, to make anyone nervous. Reports of the 3000U OTB with blobs......QC issues is what they need to correct.

And the new HW10 is a new beast and will blow the VW40/60 away with ease.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
JVC RS1 (used) - $2400
That would be a nice price. Seems that the new bulbs are going for about $250 online these days as well.

I can't concur with the JVC or Sony PJ recommendations, not due to PQ, but simply because none of these, at least to my knowledge, would fit into the OP's requested budget of $2500 to $3000 (except maybe used, but then you get into dark territory there too with warranties, use history, care, etc.)
Well, I landed my RS-1 for 3k, with full warranty intact. I then added a 6 yr extended warranty + 2 free bulbs for $260 additional. Granted, I landed a killer price, but its been possible. Yeah, they sold these out in one single day at this price nearly a year ago.

My thought is if one had the budget for an LCoS PJ, get a JVC, otherwise get an Epson or Panasonic LCD. A shootout of the JVC DLA-RS2 and the Epson 1080UB actually showed that (in the opinion of the reviewer), the JVC wasn't worth the extra money. I can't cite this for certain, but I think it was projectorreview.com...
Many people say the same thing about Panasonic plasmas vs Pioneer plasmas. I would think that in fact the performance difference would be even greater between these techs than the difference between Pana/Pio plasmas, though I'm talking outta my butt. While it might not be worth the extra money to some folks, I don't think you can possibly categorize these two models together. Some people would have issue putting my RS1u in the same category, let alone the RS1x, RS2, RS10 ...... but RS20?

^ I dont believe the reviewer from projectorreview.com would say that about the JVC, afterall he owns the RS1 in his own setup. Perhaps along the lines, if the budget allows go for the JVC.
Without looking, I assume we must be talking about Mr. Feierman.

QC issues is what they need to correct.
As a big of Pana product in general, I would agree. I think the zoom function is very cool for those who will employ it. Otherwise, if one can land LCoS for just a tad more, I would also agree. If only for the higher fill ratio.

EDIT: of course, I've already told Pop a while ago elsewhere that I would love to see him step up to LCoS. Meh. Maybe this will be the last time I put my vote in for the OP. He's already heard my vote.

P

PopDisplay

Junior Audioholic
If I were to budget $3000 for the projector, is there any contest between the Pan AE3000 and the JVC RS1? Or, for that matter, is there anything better than the RS1 at that price point?

S

Sherardp

Audioholic
If I were to budget $3000 for the projector, is there any contest between the Pan AE3000 and the JVC RS1? Or, for that matter, is there anything better than the RS1 at that price point?
The RS1 will have better contrast and ANSI. For the price of the RS1, I dont think you can get any better. Unless you want to step up to the RS10 but you'll have to add more coin. But for 3k I'd go for the HD1/RS1.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Perhaps what Sherardp said.

There is only one concern of mine with the Panny... and that's some early QC reports... maybe its all taken care of now...

Also, I think the Panny wins IF you are going to use its zoom function for CIH. That feature is too cool. If you do CIH with zoom method, make sure your wall is as flat black as it can be.

I don't have a 2.40, but a 16:9 screen, and I can totally see myself using a smaller than full screen for certain discs. (something with poorer PQ, or too much motion for any particular 16:9, with my present immersion that I setup with 2.40:1 in mind).

S

Sherardp

Audioholic
Perhaps what Sherardp said.

There is only one concern of mine with the Panny... and that's some early QC reports... maybe its all taken care of now...
I dont think it has been fixed, I've been reading many reports of OOTB units with dust blobs and stuck pixels within 30-60 hrs. Of course every machine has its problems, but I havent had any with my HD1 thus far.

P

PopDisplay

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for your help.

I ordered today a new Panny AE3000 PJ from Projector People for $2300, delivered. Includes a 1 year warranty extension.

Dave

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Congratulations on what seems to be a fine product, for a fine price!

P

PopDisplay

Junior Audioholic
now on to screen, mount, and subwoofer selection.

also need to decide on the remote system. looking at control4.

dave

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
For screen I suggest you look at a fixed frame if you can. But I suggest buying the screen once you get the PJ exactly where you want it. So you can get the right size one.

Usually they can be put together pretty cheaply. I do suggest painting the wall before you hang a screen up. White on white is hideous.

P

PopDisplay

Junior Audioholic
Need suggestions on the screen. The Carada Criterion looks good. Is the extra cost for the "whiter" screen worth paying?

All opinions and ideas welcome.

TIA,

Dave

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis