2018 is the wettest year on record

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Its raining heavily this weekend – again! The area where I live, Washington, DC plus the Maryland & Virginia suburbs has had drenching rain frequently this year. So much that this year’s rainfall tally shoves aside the previous top mark from 1889, nearly 130 years ago.

Washington joins Baltimore, which broke its annual rainfall record in November, in notching its wettest year. Dozens of other locations in the Mid-Atlantic, including Wilmington, N.C., Charleston, W. Va, and State College, Pa., have also set yearly rainfall records with two weeks still remaining for 2018.

1544896558366.png

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Yep. Wet here too. Never dried out enough to get the dirt dug to put a concrete slab in. I really don't want to get the skidsteer stuck in the mud.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yep. Wet here too.
We're supposed to get another 1.2" of rain this Thursday & Friday.

I think the entire eastern half of the country has had way too much rain this year. No wonder California has such a bad drought, we got all their rain.

If this wet weather pattern keeps up, and if it gets cold enough, we might have plenty of snow this winter.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

I think the entire eastern half of the country has had way too much rain this year. No wonder California has such a bad drought, we got all their rain.

If this wet weather pattern keeps up, and if it gets cold enough, we might have plenty of snow this winter.
And I have a feeling, at least here in NJ that all the wet weather we get will bring in warm air with it. I'm thinking there is not gonna be a lot of snow this year but of course I could be way off.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General

If it gets cold enough. I'm ok with the 40's right now. Makes it a lot more pleasant in the morning and I don't have to get to the shop at 5:30 am to clear the snow before my employees show up.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I never hear about animals complaining about rainy days.
We should be fortunate that this planet has weather conditions otherwise you, wouldn't have started the thread. You wouldn't even exist.

Sure flash-floods are bad when they happen and storm drains that not been cleaned out of all the leafs and other dirt built up over the year get flooded within few minutes and flood the roads and homes.

Well I say least for your state, there won't be any shortage of freshwater or you can get your own harvester and harvest the Free water that has been happening for billions of years.

Over in UK its been more less sunny and raining with some gale-winds just like the years past and I don't think much about it expect that its incredible.

I have seen a flash-flood few years ago in my road due storm drains stuffed up with leafs. Storm drains only 15 feet down and was overwhelmed within few minutes of the bucket size load coming down, per second, per second so thick that it blurred visibility down to 40 feet? I couldn't see down the road clearly due to cloudy gates being open! Oh and that wind where did that come from!? Yeah I was outside trying to get a picture of the lighting storm that soon turned into flash-flood and that wind! Felt like some mini-tornado as it nearly pushed me over!

At present temperatures are moderate 10 to 5c that is normal. Some days that arctic wind is being pushed over and the wind is bitter cold, like last week. Today its 10c/7c and its mid December so hope no snow with freezing temperatures happens but if it does it won't last as long as that unbearable heatwave this year where I and many others had weeks of sleepless rest at night as well as my two cats as well.

Oh and that hurricane in Florida this year I think some parts of that when it moved away ended up over here but not as severe there was a few losses :( due to some venturing outside into it.

I almost ended up wearing a large 14 by 8 foot metal gate back around the stormy 1990 when walking past a house I turned left-side and looked at it rattling violently! Just 4 houses along while walking past I then heard an almighty Clang! Crash! Turned around and it been ripped off the hinges! Sod that!

What I hate is snow that turns to slush your feet get all wet and freezing cold.

Not seen real snow in decades that is close to 4 feet in depth! Not since 1980 and then again only 2 feet deep 1986. When the newspaper wrote snow chaos at just 1" few so years ago I laughed so hard. Obviously the kiddie, that wrote that hasn't seen real snow in his short lifetime. 1" and it melted within the day. 1980, 4 feet depth of snow blocked roads, motorways off from outside for weeks until someone figured out how to get all that snow cleared.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Its raining heavily this weekend – again! The area where I live, Washington, DC plus the Maryland & Virginia suburbs has had drenching rain frequently this year. So much that this year’s rainfall tally shoves aside the previous top mark from 1889, nearly 130 years ago.

Washington joins Baltimore, which broke its annual rainfall record in November, in notching its wettest year. Dozens of other locations in the Mid-Atlantic, including Wilmington, N.C., Charleston, W. Va, and State College, Pa., have also set yearly rainfall records with two weeks still remaining for 2018.

View attachment 27340
Wish you could send some to the Southwest!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Still more rain last night & today. This afternoon it thundered & rained more, the temperature reached 67°, and there was a rainbow. All this on Dec. 21st, the first day of winter!

I supposed it could be worse if all that rain was snow. What is the snow:rain ratio, 10:1?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Still more rain last night & today. This afternoon it thundered & rained more, the temperature reached 67°, and there was a rainbow. All this on Dec. 21st, the first day of winter!

I supposed it could be worse if all that rain was snow. What is the snow:rain ratio, 10:1?
Christmas day it was 55 degrees and sunny. Today we got snow!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Christmas day it was 55 degrees and sunny. Today we got snow!
Gonna be 60 here in NJ Friday and Saturday! I love it! May not be a good thing for the world but good for me because I hate cold weather.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Certainly the case, but one shouldn't interpret "[some weather event] highest / lowest on record" to mean since forever. Most places don't have any weather records dating back more than about 100 years ago, and it will be a long time before records created during the 1930's (severe decade-long draught) and to a certain extent the 1940's (record-breaking cold winters in Europe during WWII in not only Russia but the EU and England, etc).

Also, it's a mistake to confuse local weather events as evidence of Global Warming or Cooling; it's called "Global" for a reason. It may, or may not, be a significant local weather event.

J

James_Ngo

Audioholic Intern

You must of did a rain dance or somthing. SoCal been raining for the past month or so. Never seem so much rain in my life. Workimg outside in the rain sucks. So whatever you did, take it back… hahah

Rain is good, but it drains to ocean. Snow is better for reservoir.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
You must of did a rain dance or somthing. SoCal been raining for the past month or so. Never seem so much rain in my life. Workimg outside in the rain sucks. So whatever you did, take it back… hahah

Rain is good, but it drains to ocean. Snow is better for reservoir.
SoCal needs rain for the reservoirs. Just not a deluge like they have been getting!

We've had 16-20 inches of snow in 1.5 weeks followed by -24 F temperatures with wind chills at -60F in Wisconsin. Then it warmed up and rained which created minor flooding, then it got cold again and rained/iced so we had sheets of ice for roads. My parking lot slopes down towards drainage, but that drainage is a solid sheet of ice along with the bottom 1/4 of my parking lot. Last night we got 7 inches of snow at the shop and it's still snowing. So at about 8 inches right now and could get another inch before it ends. So it's wet here too!!

I did manage to get the skid steer stuck on a chunk of ice and oculdn't push my way out with the bucket because of the sheet of ice underneath the skid steer. Had to pull the skid steer out. Oh well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis