2010: The Year AACS and HDMI Kill Off Component Video

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Digital HD (high definition), like that enabled through HDMI and Blu-ray, is awesome. It offers amazing picture and audio quality. It allows you to conveniently connect one single cable to provide both picture and sound. It is royally going to screw up a lot of homes next year. Wait, what was that last part? After December 31, 2010, manufacturers will not be "allowed" introduce new hardware with component video outputs supplying more than an SD resolution (480i or 576i). Should this go through as planned, it's going to disable or throw a wrench in a lot of existing custom installations as soon as the end of this year.

Discuss "2010: The Year AACS and HDMI Kill Off Component Video" here. Read the article.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Digital HD (high definition), like that enabled through HDMI and Blu-ray, is awesome. It offers amazing picture and audio quality. It allows you to conveniently connect one single cable to provide both picture and sound. It is royally going to screw up a lot of homes next year. Wait, what was that last part? After December 31, 2010, manufacturers will not be "allowed" introduce new hardware with component video outputs supplying more than an SD resolution (480i or 576i). Should this go through as planned, it's going to disable or throw a wrench in a lot of existing custom installations as soon as the end of this year.

Discuss "2010: The Year AACS and HDMI Kill Off Component Video" here. Read the article.
This is what happens when Hollyweird has too many friends in Washington.

garmon

Audiophyte
Why?

Ripping the video directly from the the disc is trivial. Much simpler than setting up an analog capture solution. The only people this would affect are those that think they need to play by the arbitrary rules setup to deny them their fair use rights.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
And, analog goes bye bye completely in 2013 according to the stuff I've seen.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

We have known this was coming for years. All cables should have been, and always should be run in large diameter conduit, so that it is easy to pull cables.

I still think the Hollywood crowd are a bunch of parasites we could do without though.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
That's why I ran 2 1/2" smurf pipe to future proof as technology changes. Those who did not, will be left with big bills for custom installers.

A

autoboy

Audioholic
My Fugitsu Plasma TV doesn't have HDMI. I have component, VGA, and a DVI port that is not HDCP compliant. I may have to go with something like the HD Fury. Thanks Hollywood for making my super expensive TV that looks great obsolete, or focing me into an unsupported solution just to watch my content that I legally purchased.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic

next they're going to disable my optical/digital coax... yeah you don't have an expensive enough receiver, you get to use these super sweet L/R audio connections. Hope you didn't like your surround sound.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I've hated HDMI cables almost since day one. They're a complete pain in the ***. Good luck trying to make a change to your system or move a component around in your rack without having the damn cable come unconnected. Why couldn't they have at least come up with some kind of lock?!?!? :mad:

Now I've got tons of issues with my UMC-1 that I'm sure most of which are not Emotiva's fault. They had to design the unit to comply with HDCP and it's causing all sorts of headaches. Does someone want to try to explain why my amp wouldn't trigger on when I had my TV hooked up with both HDMI and Component video cables from my cable box, but triggered just fine when I only had HDMI connected?!?!?

HDMI and HDCP are utter bullshit.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Clarification please

Dumb question:

Do these rules apply only to blu-ray players? Or does it include display devices?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Dumb question:

Do these rules apply only to blu-ray players? Or does it include display devices?
It applies to any device that has an analog output, so the answer to your question is to TVs no, unless the TV has an analog video output.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
My Pioneer Elite 58" RPTV that I bought nine years ago has less than 2,000 hours on it (yes that's correct less than 2,000 hours) it is still in mint condition and once calibrated and with decreased overscan via the service menu, my picture rivals my plasma (with HDMI mind you) and my Pioneer only has Component to run HD. I run all my lossless audio to my Onkyo 805 via HDMI but the picture is output via component, from my Bluray, HD-DVD and Directv HD, I get the best of both worlds. My Pioneer RPTV has none of that pixcellation issue as my plasma sometimes does., I get fantastic blacks and I think the component actually has just as good resolution as HDMI without the cable falling out or no picture or sound as it drops with HDMI from time to time.

Thanks Government for making my TV that I was sure would last another decade or longer obsolete.

Friggin Arsehole bastages!!!!! :mad:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My Pioneer Elite 58" RPTV that I bought nine years ago has less than 2,000 hours on it (yes that's correct less than 2,000 hours) it is still in mint condition and once calibrated and with decreased overscan via the service menu, my picture rivals my plasma (with HDMI mind you) and my Pioneer only has Component to run HD. I run all my lossless audio to my Onkyo 805 via HDMI but the picture is output via component, from my Bluray, HD-DVD and Directv HD, I get the best of both worlds. My Pioneer RPTV has none of that pixcellation issue as my plasma sometimes does., I get fantastic blacks and I think the component actually has just as good resolution as HDMI without the cable falling out or no picture or sound as it drops with HDMI from time to time.

Thanks Government for making my TV that I was sure would last another decade or longer obsolete.

Friggin Arsehole bastages!!!!! :mad:
Call it part of Oblabla's economic stimulus package! Trouble is it will be like the wind farm stimulus package in Texas, that is creating 2000 jobs in China, and 300 relatively low paying jobs in the US.

I get madder by the day.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Haha Johnny Dangerously :)
Those were Fargin' Ice-holes; and Marony got deported to Sweden (claims he's not from there).

As to the Obama-bashing: Any support that he's invoved or even aware of this?

highfigh

highfigh

Call it part of Oblabla's economic stimulus package! Trouble is it will be like the wind farm stimulus package in Texas, that is creating 2000 jobs in China, and 300 relatively low paying jobs in the US.

I get madder by the day.
You may be happy to learn that a Spanish corporation will be building a plant here in Milwaukee, for making wind generators. The state obviously kicked in some nice incentives but we also have several large motor manufacturers in the area, including Baldor. It's not all going out of this country but it's not for lack of trying.

highfigh

highfigh

Those were Fargin' Ice-holes; and Marony got deported to Sweden (claims he's not from there).

As to the Obama-bashing: Any support that he's invoved or even aware of this?
Dos' corksoaking sominambatches! Dis' is fargin' WAR!

highfigh

highfigh

(Johnny D)- Hey, doll- what's your name?
(doll)- Lil, Lil Sheridan. What's yours?
(JD)- Johnny Dangerously.
(Lil)- You know your last name is an adverb?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You may be happy to learn that a Spanish corporation will be building a plant here in Milwaukee, for making wind generators. The state obviously kicked in some nice incentives but we also have several large motor manufacturers in the area, including Baldor. It's not all going out of this country but it's not for lack of trying.
Don't get me started on those stupid windmills.

Our electric utility company, Beltrami rural electric post each day how much electricity we are getting from wind. They got forced into the two big wind farms in ND at Langdon and Lake Ashitabula.

Now when it is cold in this part of the world most often we have no or little wind. On most of our cold mornings, wind generation is one fat zero. So the electric heat is rippled out and I have to stoke the fireplace and go to propane backup.

Now it gets worse. The utility has to buy the power those silly windmills produce whether we can use it or not. Usually the wind blows when our needs are low, like summer, so our utility is forced to sell it on the market at a loss.

Beltrami electric are now showing this as a line item on our bills. So we can see each month the cost of our subsidy of these dumb structures. We have a wind farm here in Minnesota that will not run in the cold and can only be used half the year.

We are short of power here. The three coal power plants in ND are getting old and break down too often. We need more coal generators and soon. We are ready to hang some environmentalists here.

Any how over time those dumb ugly windmills only produce about 15% of their rated power, which is pretty much useless.

If ever there was a program that needed halting it is wind farms. A total failure and waste of money.

E

edmcanuck

Audioholic
What's ridiculous is that if you are one of the many people with TV's that have DVI with no HDCP, your blu-ray collection will only be playable at 480i which is worse than what your DVD collection can be played at! Yay progress!?

And why? NOBODY rips a Blu-Ray using component cables!! If you want to rip Blu, it's only one AnyDVD away. They'll never catch up to the hacking/ripping technology, they need to learn to deal with it.

I suspect that Monoprice will sell a good number of HDFuryII's when the time comes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis