2010 Audioholics $1k Floorstanding Loudspeaker Faceoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Again the grille cloth I used in our faceoff was very lossy b/c it wasn't taut enough. Its fine to use for grille cloth when wrapped on a frame. The way we used it resulted in a -2dB loss of high frequencies which was clearly audible and affected the blind results.

I just spent the last 3 days at Axiom undergoing their blind tests which they did a fabulous job setting up. The grille cloth they use is much less lossy even when not taut. I will be using this in my next round. I also love how they provide the user the ability to switch between speakers and adjust listening level to their preference which affects all speakers under test proportionally so the levels are always matched. This is a huge advantage and I will be incorporating this type of testing scheme next time around.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Again the grille cloth I used in our faceoff was very lossy b/c it wasn't taut enough. Its fine to use for grille cloth when wrapped on a frame. The way we used it resulted in a -2dB loss of high frequencies which was clearly audible and affected the blind results.
I don't see that as a huge difference. Maybe in the focused state you guys were in you noticed, but watching a movie or listening to music for the purpose of the source material would probably make the difference negligible.

This is by far the best test I've seen from AH and I'm very impressed with the effort put in.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
"Overall the Klipsch scored the highest overall rating by a small margin..."

Funny how it seems like quite a few people here dislike Klipsch in general?:D

I always thought the Klipsch big towers sounded pretty decent.:D

Oh, and don't tell me DefTech refused to let Audioholics review their speakers? Those bastards! :D
Klipsch makes excellent speakers. They are certainly the best speakers I've heard in most Best Buy's I've gone into. Since their stuff is used in the theaters I'd bet many folks would love the home theater experience they bring.

I think bashing a good brand is dangerous because it will lead folks to buying worse brands. I'd rather be listening to my friends Klipsch setup than a Bose one.

J

just listening

Audioholic

I just spent the last 3 days at Axiom undergoing their blind tests which they did a fabulous job setting up. The grille cloth they use is much less lossy even when not taut. I will be using this in my next round. I also love how they provide the user the ability to switch between speakers and adjust listening level to their preference which affects all speakers under test proportionally so the levels are always matched. This is a huge advantage and I will be incorporating this type of testing scheme next time around.
Gene:
Is this experience you've had at Axiom one you will be able to discuss in full, or are you bound by non-disclosure agreements?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

Sorry, I was previously confused when you said "lossy" because all I could think of was MP3s when I read the word. Because I was confused, I ignored the word and thought nothing of it. I could imagine your slight frustration with me and others going on about how little difference it must make because it was just cloth.;) Thanks for explaining it in greater detail, I understand much better now.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
Hi Gene,

How did they reposition each speaker set and what were the listener(s) seating arrangement? They mention the listening room on their site, but (sorry if I missed it) no mention of whether it is treated, size, etc. (they did mention the NRC listening room approximates the size and furnishings of a typical living room).
I also think it's an excellent idea for the listener to be able to vary the levels - very cool.

cheers,

AJ

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
If no Polk Audio in this review, then the review is WORTHLESS.. Put that in your pipe and smoke it..:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
Do you have an issues with the Chinese people.. seems you have some problems my friend..

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have an issues with the Chinese people.. seems you have some problems my friend..
No, I have problems with two things. Trolls is one, the other is the lack of middle class manufacturing in this country. I have no problem with China doing well, but it does so very much at the expense of my livelihood.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, where is Polk in this review?
This is actually a good question. Polk Audio is one of the most accessible speaker brands in the B & M setting along with Klipsch (disregarding Bose here). This was one of the criteria for this faceoff IIRC. As for Polk Audio not being in the blind listening tests, unless AH is the buying the product, the manufacturer has to be willing to send the product to them. Axiom Audio is definitely the most accessable internet brand for the consumer due to the fact they ship worldwide and its great they were apart of this.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
If no Polk Audio in this review, then the review is WORTHLESS.. Put that in your pipe and smoke it..:mad:
You know that you can write your own reviews around here? ;)
Try making a review of these Polk's to the same standard as what Clint does before shooting at him :p
I'm too lazy to make these reviews, don't know about you :p

Sometimes manufacturers or distributors refuse to ship products for reviews, because they are afraid about what may be said about their speakers in a fair review........

The reviews here at AH are the best there is, anywhere, period :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Brand beliefs are good. That's how speaker companies stay in business. Gene is the only one that can probably answer why one speaker company was chosen over another that was selected.
I believe that each person has there likes and dislike of the sound from a speaker. How do you think BOSE is even in business. We all have our brand snobbery. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I purposely limited the shootout to 4 brands to make it manageable. We don't really have a solid contact at Polk. Definitive Technology's marketing director made it clear he would never send us product for review, especially for a faceoff such as this.

Next time we will include all different brands and will try to get in Polk. We did have Polk included in our 2007 Bookshelf faceoff.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
If all goes well, I will be able to do some blind listening at Axiom this September. I'm really looking forward to the experience.

J

jgeorg5

Audioholic Intern
Definitive Technology's marketing director made it clear he would never send us product for review, especially for a faceoff such as this.
Gene,

Besides saying that he would never send you product for a faceoff like this, did he give you any reason why?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I purposely limited the shootout to 4 brands to make it manageable. We don't really have a solid contact at Polk. Definitive Technology's marketing director made it clear he would never send us product for review, especially for a faceoff such as this.
I can't speak for Definitive but this speaks volumes about the expectations that manufactures of all types have for enthusiast publications and their fear of honest reporting.

Back when I got into the information technology business it amused me to no end that the winner of the every shootout just happened (pure coincidence I'm sure ;)) to always be the largest advertiser in its product category i.e. computer, printer, modem etc. Back in the 90s a friend had a product reviewed by a major car enthusiast magazine only to have them cancel the the publication of the review because (their admission) it was head and shoulders better than a competing product from their number one advertiser. I've also had conversations with writers for gun magazines tell me that you have to look for code words and read between the lines. They can't say a test pistol was so inaccurate that they were lucky to keep 5rds in a pie plate at 10 feet - so they say something like "it proved to be combat accurate in testing".

Audioholics' Pro Reviews are some of the very-very few that I place a great deal of faith in and I'm sure such honesty scares the crap out of spoiled marketing managers. The $2K speaker shootout followed by the review was 50% of my decision to order Salk speakers - the other 50% came from the respect I have for other members' advice and feedback.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis