2010 Audioholics $1k Floorstanding Loudspeaker Faceoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
My question for Gene involves speaker position: You mentioned using the A/B position setup. Being that speakers have specific position sweet spots (distance from walls, etc.) was any thought given to conducting the tests from each speakers optimal position placement in the room? That way allowing the speakers to be judged when they are at their optimal performance level.
That would indeed yield a more optimum picture of that loudspeakers performance to the listener, but it would also create a greater time gap between listening to each pair, which is problematic, as our acoustic memory fades rapidly. Remember, there are comparisons being made. It's precisely why Harman uses a mechanical "shuffler" to (re)position the DUT in seconds, optimally positioned from the listener.
Gene is careful to point out the limitations of the testing and that listeners should still use their own judgment when making final decisions on what is best for their needs. Hopefully folks reading are clear on that (myself included;)).

cheers,

AJ

J

James9934

Audiophyte
I was told their next shipment of product will include the driver upgrade. I should be getting review samples with the upgrades next month.
I just received the E55's from the Audioholic Super Store! yesterday, and today I read that they are doing a driver upgrade. So that kinda ticks me off. There is no mention of this on the EMP website, of course. Hopefully some more info comes to light once I get a response back from Customer Service.

J

just listening

Audioholic
That would indeed yield a more optimum picture of that loudspeakers performance to the listener, but it would also create a greater time gap between listening to each pair, which is problematic, as our acoustic memory fades rapidly. Remember, there are comparisons being made. It's precisely why Harman uses a mechanical "shuffler" to (re)position the DUT in seconds, optimally positioned from the listener.
Gene is careful to point out the limitations of the testing and that listeners should still use their own judgment when making final decisions on what is best for their needs. Hopefully folks reading are clear on that (myself included;)).

cheers,

AJ
AJ, that is why I recognized up front the limitation in this blind test. Gene pointed out that they took notes on each speaker as they played, which, to a point helps with memory.

Having been a part of a blind speaker test many years ago, the speakers were judged in the same manner as Gene's. However, the second test involved proper placement via four guys, one responsible for each speaker, with duct tape to label proper position. The swap took about 20-30 seconds. Not perfect, but outside of having one's own "shuffle room" like Harman Int'l, it worked.

In the end, DBT or subjective, should be taken by the reader/potential buyer as info, to assist in narrowing down the speakers they would want to audition for themselves. Hopefully, the final audition taking place in their own room/rig.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
AJ, that is why I recognized up front the limitation in this blind test. Gene pointed out that they took notes on each speaker as they played, which, to a point helps with memory.

Having been a part of a blind speaker test many years ago, the speakers were judged in the same manner as Gene's. However, the second test involved proper placement via four guys, one responsible for each speaker, with duct tape to label proper position. The swap took about 20-30 seconds. Not perfect, but outside of having one's own "shuffle room" like Harman Int'l, it worked.

In the end, DBT or subjective, should be taken by the reader/potential buyer as info, to assist in narrowing down the speakers they would want to audition for themselves. Hopefully, the final audition taking place in their own room/rig.
Cool.
Was it one listener at a time or group seating? Was the 2nd test also blind?

cheers,

AJ

T

Tirade

Audiophyte
I just received the E55's from the Audioholic Super Store! yesterday, and today I read that they are doing a driver upgrade. So that kinda ticks me off. There is no mention of this on the EMP website, of course. Hopefully some more info comes to light once I get a response back from Customer Service.
I emailed them earlier today and the response I got was that they should have the version with the new drivers available in July.

These were at the top of my list but Im not sure if Im willing to wait until July so we will see. The other issue that concerns me is the seemingly light weight (11lbs) of the matching center channel. For the dimensions of the center channel most within those specs weigh about 20-30lbs. Since Ill be using these for about 50/50 music/HT Im a little concerned about the quality of the center channel.

P

pvsat

Enthusiast
One Speaker to Rule them All

Sadly im not sure it will be possible to find that one speaker that will rule them all in this price range.

Amazing to note how the major opinion about speakers going around in popular reviews and forums tend to change peoples opinons between blind tests and sighted tests. I am glad that the Klipsch speakers actually came out on top even though by a small margin. looking at the comments it almost seems that in a normal living/listening room with some furniture and little bit of room treatment the klipsch speakers would offer phenomenal performance. Also good to note that the EMPs perform on par with the other gaints in the face off.

Great review overall. enjoyed reading it

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys;

Just so everyone knows, this faceoff was conducted in the Audioholics Showcase Theater room which is acoustically treated by Auralex. So its a large treated room and not a typical reflective family/living room environment. Its definitely a more forgiving room for bright speakers.

I am in Canada right now visiting the fine folks at Axiom Audio. I plan on touring their facility tomorrow and checking out how they run their blind tests as well. What a beautiful place this small town is. Makes you want to live here, well at least between May and September while the weather is warm :)

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
I really hope you are able to do a bookshelf speaker faceoff this year. These comparisons are extremely helpful for those of us who are considering a speaker purchase.
I was a bit disappointed that Emotiva and Aperion didn't participate, although Emotiva's towers are a bit over the price range of this particular test.
Thanks for all the hard work in arranging this faceoff!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As Canadian, it would be nice to include the Energy RC70 vs the Digm Studio 60or 100 in such listening tests now that Axiom has its chance.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
The Klipsch

And if you look a little, you can upgrade from the 62s to the Klipsch RF 82s for the same mfsrp price including shipping.....and that is a large upgrade including wood veneer finish...

J

just listening

Audioholic
I can't say that I'm surprised by the results, with the mix of educated versus casual listeners the Klipsch were going to place quite high due to their sound style. I'm sure many thought Axiom would run away, but after hearing from someone who attended the Oregon Coast GTG, the M60's were a great disappointment that day.

I would agree with Utoplanemo that it would have been nice if Aperion 5T's could have been in the mix. I'd have bet that they would have faired very well. For that matter the Paradigm Monitor 7 or 9's, Monitor Audio, etc., the list could go on endlessly.

T

Tirade

Audiophyte
And if you look a little, you can upgrade from the 62s to the Klipsch RF 82s for the same mfsrp price including shipping.....and that is a large upgrade including wood veneer finish...
Im pretty sure the RF-82 doesnt give you wood veneer. You have to upgrade to the x3 series (i.e. RF-63 or RF-83) to get the wood veneer. However you are correct though in that you can get the RF-82's for about $50 more each than the RF-62's.

The RF-82's were second on my list (below the EMP's) until I found out about the woofer replacement coming from EMP and the lightweight specs of the EMP center. I believe now the Klipsch are on the top of my list.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
No one mentioned...

The competition was based on music pieces only.....I would think the strong point on the Klipsch would be HT, possibly making it an even better value. I am weighted toward HT myself. I have a set of Paradigms sitting next to my Klipsch. I use the Paradigms on "B" speaker setting for stereo only....Lately I have frankly gone back to the Klipsch for music...but mine are bookshelf and no connection with facts here..... In the end it's personal taste and I like dynamic type speakers, possible because my hearing is rolling off at age 61...Got my info on wood veneer from Vann's site and it also did not look right to me, but I have not looked at them for a while in a store and really dont know.....

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/542798261/klipsch-rf62-black-single-speaker

M

mardelgo

Junior Audioholic
It is funny how mind can trick what you hear. In Blind test klipsch was the prefer speaker, but as soon as you know:eek:....... do you remember the "Bookshelf Speaker Faceoff 2007" the same, every reviewer prefer the polk audio monitor in the blind test in the sub $250, but when you realize that a lower end retail store speaker was liked better that many internet direct "better value" speakers… boom... something must be wrong...:confused:
I hope you can include some Jamo speakers in one of this reviews, they can be found at great prices, and they sound really great to my ears.

Last edited:
engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Try pulling off the grills of your speakers and see the change in the sound. Then also try to put the grill about a foot in front of your speaker. Listen to it each time critically and you will hear the differences. That is what Gene is talking about. With the grill father away it softens a tweeters harshness.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Try pulling off the grills of your speakers and see the change in the sound. Then also try to put the grill about a foot in front of your speaker. Listen to it each time critically and you will hear the differences. That is what Gene is talking about. With the grill father away it softens a tweeters harshness.
I don't think the difference is that immediate between grill on, off, fabric. And if that's the case, then leave the grill on the Klipsch and they'll be back to sounding the best again. Sounds like a no brainer.;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"Overall the Klipsch scored the highest overall rating by a small margin..."

Funny how it seems like quite a few people here dislike Klipsch in general?:D

I always thought the Klipsch big towers sounded pretty decent.:D

Oh, and don't tell me DefTech refused to let Audioholics review their speakers? Those bastards! :D

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
I don't think the difference is that immediate between grill on, off, fabric. And if that's the case, then leave the grill on the Klipsch and they'll be back to sounding the best again. Sounds like a no brainer.;)
I tryed it myself. It does make a immediate difference. It interesting to hear the differences.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I tryed it myself. It does make a immediate difference. It interesting to hear the differences.
I guess that heavily depends on the speaker. Reflections of the grill frame play their part now doubt as well, however I've not noticed a huge difference with countless speakers I've used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis