2009 $750 Receiver Comparison Guide

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
The one thing I noticed is the insane amount of HDMI ports that are being offered by some of these models. Its analogous to cup holders in a minivan. :D
Truthfully, anyone here need 5 HDMI inputs? Blu Ray Player, WII, and an Xbox or Playstation? and either a cable or sateliite feed? I rather one or two less HDMI and a good strong P/S and amp section for that price. Kudo's to Denon for adding in a phono stage, something Yamaha as dropped from their entry line receivers but have managed to keep in their mid price range receivers.
I currently use 4 HDMI inputs. If I had purchased an HD-DVD player when they were in the running, I would be needing 5 inputs. 5 is absolutely not an "insane" number of HDMI inputs on a receiver. I wish mine had that many, so I could add another device without any trouble, if I ever need or want to. HDMI is the input of the future (insofar as any current input is an input of the future), so you should expect more and more need for them. It is the only way to digitally get several audio formats into a receiver. Also, having a couple of HDMI inputs more is not going to significantly affect the cost of manufacture. So you are not going to get much in return for a company leaving them off.

C

cynan

Enthusiast
I currently use 4 HDMI inputs. If I had purchased an HD-DVD player when they were in the running, I would be needing 5 inputs. 5 is absolutely not an "insane" number of HDMI inputs on a receiver. I wish mine had that many, so I could add another device without any trouble, if I ever need or want to. HDMI is the input of the future (insofar as any current input is an input of the future), so you should expect more and more need for them. It is the only way to digitally get several audio formats into a receiver. Also, having a couple of HDMI inputs more is not going to significantly affect the cost of manufacture. So you are not going to get much in return for a company leaving them off.
I think it would be more useful to add a second HDMI output over a 5th or 6th input. This would allow you to run a TV and a projector or computer monitor in the same room.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I think it would be more useful to add a second HDMI output over a 5th or 6th input. This would allow you to run a TV and a projector or computer monitor in the same room.
Most people are not going to do that, so for most people, it would be unnecessary. However, I have nothing against having an additional HDMI output. Generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with having an input or output extra that one does not need.

J

JFM

Audiophyte
Pioneer vsx-21txh

I'm confused by the lack of 7.1 inputs. So if I use HDMI this is a non issue?

What situations alluded to in the comparison article would it be an issue, only if HDMI could not be used?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

What situations alluded to in the comparison article would it be an issue, only if HDMI could not be used?
The lack of "7.1" inputs on that Pioneer means that it lacks 7.1 analog inputs. You can still input 7.1 channels digitally via HDMI. It would be an issue if you had a 7.1 source that had only analog outputs.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned

Hi JFM, and Welcome to Audioholics. :)

The 7.1-multichannel analog input, main use is for connecting a Universal DVD player for multichannel SACD and DVD Audio.

Also, for using external multichannel processors, like from a Blu-ray player, etc.

But, having all the decoders already in your A/V receiver with HDMI version 1.3, does in fact render the situation quite moot, as you can even use the HDMI single cable connection for even multichannel SACD and DVD Audio.

* Only when you have an older Universal DVD player of quite good quality and with good Dacs, the 7.1-mutichannel analog input becomes a very valuable feature. In my personal case, it is a must. I cannot live without this feature. But a lot of people now, can.

It is a personal feature that can still benefit a lot of people, including myself.

~~~ Just as an additional information; the newer Onkyo TX-SR707 has seven (7) HDMI inputs :eek: (version 1.3 of course).

Cheers,
Bob

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Hi JFM, and Welcome to Audioholics. :)

The 7.1-multichannel analog input, main use is for connecting a Universal DVD player for multichannel SACD and DVD Audio.

Also, for using external multichannel processors, like from a Blu-ray player, etc.

But, having all the decoders already in your A/V receiver with HDMI version 1.3, does in fact render the situation quite moot, as you can even use the HDMI single cable connection for even multichannel SACD and DVD Audio.

* Only when you have an older Universal DVD player of quite good quality and with good Dacs, the 7.1-mutichannel analog input becomes a very valuable feature. In my personal case, it is a must. I cannot live without this feature. But a lot of people now, can.

It is a personal feature that can still benefit a lot of people, including myself.

~~~ Just as an additional information; the newer Onkyo TX-SR707 has seven (7) HDMI inputs :eek: (version 1.3 of course).

Cheers,
Bob
The thing is, the Pioneer does have 5.1 analog inputs, so that is probably good enough for SACD and DVD-Audio. And since it decodes the new formats, I am not sure what one would need that it can't do, as far as this input goes. But, of course, if a new audio format is developed, it will either need to be capable of being converted to multichannel PCM (to be input via HDMI), or it will be limited to 5.1 channels if it must be connected via analog.

J

JFM

Audiophyte
Pioneer 21txh

thanks I ended up ordering the 21 as found it at an excellent price.

Now looking at a TV. I just bgt a Pio 500M for the basement now my main TV's (10 yr old Proscan) picture is cutting in and out (not going black but wavy lines). Does it with no rhyme or reason. I was thinking of going with the new Panasonic 54v10 this time.

Is there any big advantage with staying with a Pioneer set to match the Pioneer reciever???

Thanks again

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
thanks I ended up ordering the 21 as found it at an excellent price.

Now looking at a TV. I just bgt a Pio 500M for the basement now my main TV's (10 yr old Proscan) picture is cutting in and out (not going black but wavy lines). Does it with no rhyme or reason. I was thinking of going with the new Panasonic 54v10 this time.

Is there any big advantage with staying with a Pioneer set to match the Pioneer reciever???

Thanks again
Try the TV display section. :)

G

gqmagic

Junior Audioholic
t

No advantage, If you get a nice Kuro your advantage then is the best plasma available at this point in time..

I've got a 151 Kuro and a Pioneer 51fd bluray, but I prefer Marantz receivers.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
The lack of "7.1" inputs on that Pioneer means that it lacks 7.1 analog inputs. You can still input 7.1 channels digitally via HDMI. It would be an issue if you had a 7.1 source that had only analog outputs.
Oh I know, it's not a big deal at all. It only put out of contention all the people that like to do the decoding from their Blu-ray players, with the 7.1 recordings. I know, you gonna say, that is now obsolete, and I would answer, you're pretty much right sir. :)

I'm just not a big fan of ICE. I love HEAT. Saves me money in my heating bills during winter, that's all. :)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
No advantage, If you get a nice Kuro your advantage then is the best plasma available at this point in time..

I've got a 151 Kuro and a Pioneer 51fd bluray, but I prefer Marantz receivers.
+1 Agree with that, on both counts. :)

T

termin8ted314

Audioholic
Anyone know the difference between the Denon AVR-890 and the 2310ci? All i can seem to find is the extra remote and +12v Trigger Output - Assignable.

I was looking at the 2310 before i read this article and compared them.

C

cynan

Enthusiast
Anyone know the difference between the Denon AVR-890 and the 2310ci? All i can seem to find is the extra remote and +12v Trigger Output - Assignable.

I was looking at the 2310 before i read this article and compared them.
That is likely the only difference. As far as I know, that was the only difference between last year's 889 and 2309ci.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The 2310 also has an RS-232 port, just in case that matters.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Denon AVR-890 vs. AVR-2310ci

That's right Adam. Ci stands for Custom Integrated, which adds RS232C serial command control port, that can support an AMX, Creston integrated control system
Also, it adds Remote in/out IR command control.
And Discrete Power on/off command.

And rather than that, it is exactly the same A/V receiver.

H

hyroglifx

Enthusiast
My first choice is the Marantz SR6003 but it only has hdmi three inputs, This kills me. i have never owned Marantz but the only other avr i am looking at is the Onkyo sr-607. Does Marantz have a AVR is the same price range as the SR-607? i have owned an Onkyo SR-601 for the last five years and have been very happy with the performance. Right now the best bang for the buck has been the SR-607. I know there is price difference in the two but which would you get or is there one in the same range? 90%movies/sports and 10% music. I am looking into getting the CMB-170 Ascends once i get the receiver. thanks again.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
^ The Marantz SR6003 is probably one of the very best in it's price range.
But the Onkyo TX-SR607 is excellent for less money, with 6 HDMI inputs and Dolby Digital Pro Logic IIz, if this rocks your boat. If you were happy with your previous Onkyo receiver, and your budget is more towards the 607, you'll be certainly very satisfy with the Onkyo TX-SR607.

Cheers,
Bob

H

hyroglifx

Enthusiast
They are not in the same price but i am not sure if i will ever need pro logic IIz. I am looking for the quality of the sound. I have a 6.1 right now. will i be missing out on blu ray movies? have any movies shipped with this feature? THX

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
They are not in the same price but i am not sure if i will ever need pro logic IIz. I am looking for the quality of the sound. I have a 6.1 right now. will i be missing out on blu ray movies? have any movies shipped with this feature? THX
What speakers are you using?

You won't miss a thing with either one of these two, for Blu-ray movies.

What do you mean by "any movies shipped with this feature"? :confused:
Ahhh, got you, I finally woke up! :) You mean with Pro Logic IIz.
Nope, and I don't think that it will ever take off seriously either.
Perhaps for the gamers, yes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis