$2000/pr Floorstanders

R

rongoe

Audiophyte
Return shipping is only free if paying full price. Discount purchases pay return freight.

I’m still curious to hear from owners of RBH and/or Aperion towers. Thanks.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
You might check out the Dynaudio Excite X34 as well
I used to believe completely in speaker break in but as I've gone farther into this hobby I love so much I'm realizing for myself that I believe the break in period is simply my ears adjusting to the new way the new speakers present sound to me. I actually had a similar situation when I turned Audyssey off for awhile there were changes in the sound and it did take days of getting used to it and playing a lot of stuff before I could decide which type of listening mode I preferred
The way I break my speakers in is hook them up and run them a max., if they don’t blow they’re a keeper, at least for a while till the high wares off, then I’ll upgrade and it all starts over again..

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I think that statement is more interesting than the discussion at large.

Can we agree that there are "better" and "worse" speakers in a general sense? If not: go buy the cheapest things you can find.

Assuming we can: are you asserting that all pricing is determined identically? That is to say, all $100 speakers are equally good and all $10,000 speakers are equally good (it's just a matter of trade-offs)? In that case: we must conclude (per point #1 above) you can tell how good a speaker is purely by price.

Do competent engineers design $500 power cables?

You aren't exactly wrong; but I'm not convinced that you are right either. I've seen too much time/effort/money put into trade-offs that don't yield subjectively better results; I've seen too much mark-up built around brand name or creating exclusivity; and I've seen too many times where the trade-offs only pay dividends in very specific (and generally unrealistic) conditions.
Excellent point. I was testing out my 15k towers with my 3k towers (that’s retail of course) My self and a friend of mine both agreed that we preferred the sound of the 3k towers.

Attachments

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Excellent point. I was testing out my 15k towers with my 3k towers (that’s retail of course) My self and a friend of mine both agreed that the 3k towers sounded better.
I might have screwed up on posting the pictures??

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Different sounding but awesome. What a presence for 7” drivers, they got a hell of a punch too and can take 500 watts with sou flintching
I'm reading Speaker Design books right now... super cool to learn about other companies doing boutique type work. For my main rig, I went all-in with Dennis. Once the Phil 3s come in, my main speakers will be those and BMRs as center and L/R surround... right now the BMRs are my front 3. Stunning, and I can barely wait for the 3's!
Hell, If I can build a speaker half as good as his gear, I'll call that a win! Figure I'll start with subs to replace the "Fisher-Price toy" in our greatroom, then some 2-way atmos and surrounds. If I'm geting it... I'll do a center and some mains. :)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I'm reading Speaker Design books right now... super cool to learn about other companies doing boutique type work. For my main rig, I went all-in with Dennis. Once the Phil 3s come in, my main speakers will be those and BMRs as center and L/R surround... right now the BMRs are my front 3. Stunning, and I can barely wait for the 3's!
Hell, If I can build a speaker half as good as his gear, I'll call that a win! Figure I'll start with subs to replace the "Fisher-Price toy" in our greatroom, then some 2-way atmos and surrounds. If I'm geting it... I'll do a center and some mains. :)
My friend Alex (fuzz) he’s been on this forum for years and he has the Phil3’s since when they first came out. Have been to his house many times and they are very impressive. I enjoy them. There are very few speakers that move me but the 3’s are sure one of them. I might have a picture of one of his earlier setups. Might stop at his house next week on my way to Albany. Alex has more than one system. You do need a good power amp to make them shine. AVR’s do not apply, by using just an AVR you’re wasting your money. With the right power they have so much to give. Fantastic sounding at that price point. He also had the Salk center for a while.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
i don’t know if you can tell but next to the Source (yeah he has a few sets of them too) are the Phils

Attachments

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Cinepro EVO2 7.system. They’re 15” passive Isobaric subs
Man your whole set up just gives me goosebumps very well done. Outstanding! I bet those subs just crush it! And I love your choices on both sets of tower speakers

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Golden Ear speakers are killer. I much prefer them over the overpriced Paradigm series of all years shapes and sizes. I use to work for a Paradigm dealer and as beautiful as they are, they always lost in our vs shootouts with similar priced speakers. Not on looks as Paradigm makes some of the worlds best looking speakers. Built quality is fantastic but they always seem to be missing something in the mid range and high end compared to all others. They always came in last place.
Where I worked we carried so many brands of speakers it was a pure joy to work there.
www.audiolab.com

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Golden Ear speakers are killer. I much prefer them over the overpriced Paradigm series of all years shapes and sizes. I use to work for a Paradigm dealer and as beautiful as they are, they always lost in our vs shootouts with similar priced speakers. Not on looks as Paradigm makes some of the worlds best looking speakers. Built quality is fantastic but they always seem to be missing something in the mid range and high end compared to all others. They always came in last place.
Where I worked we carried so many brands of speakers it was a pure joy to work there.
www.audiolab.com
You used to worked at Audiolab?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My friend Alex (fuzz) he’s been on this forum for years and he has the Phil3’s since when they first came out. Have been to his house many times and they are very impressive. I enjoy them. There are very few speakers that move me but the 3’s are sure one of them. I might have a picture of one of his earlier setups. Might stop at his house next week on my way to Albany. Alex has more than one system. You do need a good power amp to make them shine. AVR’s do not apply, by using just an AVR you’re wasting your money. With the right power they have so much to give. Fantastic sounding at that price point. He also had the Salk center for a while.
The gentleman that allowed me into his home on Dennis' behalf to audition the Phil-3's was using a First Watt F7. This was my first real world lesson about amplification. They sounded amazing on that, and I probably never pushed them to even use that full First Watt of power during the hour or so we listened in his living room. ;)
I'm using Outlaw 2200s for my mains, center and l/r surrounds, which when the 3s arrive will be comprised of those plus 3 BMRs.
I haven't realized my goal of doing 5.1 audio yet, but that is a big part of my plan, and I'm excited for when those big boxes show up!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis