$2000/pr Floorstanders

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Just yesterday I went to audition the new Paradigm Premier 800f's. I have Mini Monitor v7's across the front. I have always like the sound of Paradigms. I then listened to the GoldenEar Triton 5's. I was really impressed and liked them quite a bit more for various reasons. I started reading as many reviews on them as I could find. They were cited as competition for the Martin Logan Motion 40's, Monitor Audio Silver 8's, PSB Imagine T's, and the SVS Ultras.

Hoping you folks can weigh in on the issue.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Definitely look at the RBH R-55E, Revel Concerto2 F36 in this price range as well as the JBL Studio 590s. Deftech has some bipole designs in this price range that you might enjoy. Klipsch are certain to have competent speakers in this price range too. By the way, Audioholics does have a full review of the Premier 800Fs incoming, and I think I know why you prefer the Golden Ear speakers vs the Premiers. In one respect, there is a very big difference, it is not good or bad on either speaker but will be very subject to personal preference. I don't want t o say what it is right now though so as not to spoil the review!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
This was mentioned in another thread. Based on my Canton Vento bookshelves, I would look at the tower Canton Vento 890.2 which currently after you add to cart and it applies additional 10% discount is $2,160 no tax and free shipping at Accessories for Less. They come in black gloss with black magnetic grill or white gloss with black magnetic grill. They probably will be on sale even lower on Black Friday.

Honestly your room would be appropriate though for the Vento bookshelf speakers which are way cheaper. Like the 820.2 that I have in my bedroom system. Let the subs handle below 80hz. Good luck! :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
@shadyJ The Revels look pretty darn intriguing. The return issue with the RBHs scares me, and I've just always been slightly turned off by horns ( although I've always heard raves about the 590s, and the frequent price drops they have are pretty crazy). I've always had a preference for pretty warm speakers, but I feel like my ears are "growing up" a bit, and while I've always liked Def Tecs, I'm finding my interest in movies has be liking the GE's more- they seem to strike a good middle ground.

@snakeeyes Yeah, those Cantons are super sexy! That return policy though... terrifying. There's a guy a few hours from me who seems to have a hook-up much like A4L, and his prices are pretty much the same. I could possibly take the Tritons down there (if I were to buy them) and a/b them. I'd really like to hear the tweeter on those Vento's

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
As an addition... I'd be down with ID speakers, and I'm a believer in the value proposition they present, but it would have to be a very low to zero risk situation. For instance, both Best Buy and Crutchfield sell the ML Motion 40's. I'd definitely go listen to them at BB, but would probably buy them off Crutchfield due to their superior return policy. Yeah, it's $75 and not $10, but 14 days is nowhere near enough time for me to do a proper in home comparison.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would keep the Revels on a short list -- and find a way to listen to Canton

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
You might check out the Dynaudio Excite X34 as well

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
There's a lot of good competition at this price range. But one speaker owns it, the Salk SongTower. I had a pair for over 9 years, replacing them with an upgrade from Salk a little over 2 years ago.

The Salk web page has links for many reviews, the Audioholics review is a good one to start with. I wrote my own too, see the link titled SongTower Listening Impressions.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There's a lot of good competition at this price range. But one speaker owns it, the Salk SongTower.
I have no doubt those are excellent speakers, but all speaker design is a matter of trade-offs, so to say that one speaker owns it is over-stating any of the available speakers at this price point. All of these speakers are made by very competent engineers who had to decide on where to place relative strengths and weaknesses. They may be just the right speakers for you at this price point, but I could how others might prefer the different strengths of other designs.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm not sure about US prices but maybe KEF R500 or R5 could be on price range as well? I have enjoyed mine a lot for several years now.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Owner of RBH Impression Elite R55E’s, Gloss Black, the build quality outstanding. Very nice board soundstage, these speakers can handle Reference level sound with No distortion whatsoever. Inner detail of back ground Instruments are very noticeable, nice lowend defined with Impact. Upper mid range smooth defined and clear to the point of hearing your favorite artists taking their next breath. Smooth high-end, accurate and very detailed. Absolutely worth every penny! Plus right now RBH has free return shipping if by chance your not happy. Gene has a YouTube video on the Impression series, plus Steve did a review with graphs from his testing and his take on the Impression Elite R55E’s, they tested out very well. Ask Me what I think of My Impression Elite Towers, they ain’t going No where! The recommendations posted are from very reparable manufactures and from members who Actually owns or owned some of those recommended. Happy hunting!

Mike

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
“Gene” has a YouTube video on the Impression series, plus “Steve” did a review with graphs from his testing and his take on the Impression Elite R55E’s, they tested out very well.
psst.. Steve wrote most of that review but didn't peform the testing. Also, Steve and Gene are their actual names, so you don't have to put them in quotes.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

TechHDS

Audioholic General
psst.. Steve wrote most of that review but didn't peform the testing. Also, Steve and Gene are their actual names, so you don't have to put them in quotes.
Thanks! I was up very late. Wasn’t it You? Who did the test? if so than I have you to thank, I had researched all over the web couldn’t find anything or any test results on the Elite Towers. It was those results that pushed me over from getting Martin Logan 40s. Anyways Shady J, I’m enjoying my Elite Towers, Many Thanks! for all the hard work you guys put into testing! It doesn’t go unnoticed!

Mike

Last edited:
N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Owner of RBH Impression Elite R55E’s, Gloss Black, the build quality outstanding. Very nice board soundstage, these speakers can handle Reference level sound with No distortion whatsoever. Inner detail of back ground Instruments are very noticeable, nice lowend defined with Impact. Upper mid range smooth defined and clear to the point of hearing your favorite artists taking their next breath. Smooth high-end, accurate and very detailed. Absolutely worth every penny! Plus right now RBH has free return shipping if by chance your not happy. Gene has a YouTube video on the Impression series, plus Steve did a review with graphs from his testing and his take on the Impression Elite R55E’s, they tested out very well. Ask Me what I think of My Impression Elite Towers, they ain’t going No where! The recommendations posted are from very reparable manufactures and from members who Actually owns or owned some of those recommended. Happy hunting!

Mike
Yeah, a good review indeed. Those Triton 5s review really well too. The free return shipping on the 55E's makes them VERY tempting. Plus, I'd get the phantom finish having a 1.5 y.o. ( no worries boys, she is only near my setup when I am and listens very well- she's touched my standmounts only one time), which along with the 515E would save me hundreds compared to the other brands. I think I'd have to run them near constantly for a week or so then take them down to the shop and A/B them with the Tritons ( I hear so many different opinions on break in, and if it's a real thing I know those Tritons are broken in). Those ML 40s intrigue me though. Maybe make a choice between the RBH and GE, then grab ML 40s and compare with the winner. I'm also intrigued by the Ascend Sierra Towers and Aperion Grand Verus IIIs. Jeez... Too many speakers in this category.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I hear so many different opinions on break in, and if it's a real thing…
Don't worry about speaker break in as you shop for speakers. If it's a real thing at all, it can only affect sound quality in a minor way.

Enough people have made systematic efforts to hear if speaker break in occurs, only to conclude that they couldn't hear it or measure it. All those claims about speaker break in are probably heavily exaggerated, if they are true at all.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Yeah, a good review indeed. Those Triton 5s review really well too. The free return shipping on the 55E's makes them VERY tempting. Plus, I'd get the phantom finish having a 1.5 y.o. ( no worries boys, she is only near my setup when I am and listens very well- she's touched my standmounts only one time),which along with the 515E would save me hundreds compared to the other brands. I think I'd have to run them near constantly for a week or so then take them down to the shop and A/B them with the Tritons ( I hear so many different opinions on break in, and if it's a real thing I know those Tritons are broken in). Those ML 40s intrigue me though. Maybe make a choice between the RBH and GE, then grab ML 40s and compare with the winner. I'm also intrigued by the Ascend Sierra Towers and Aperion Grand Verus IIIs. Jeez... Too many speakers in this category.
I feel ya man! I researched for months, even went down to a BestBuy store 25 miles away to do a look see and test run on B&W’s, MartinLogan 40s and 60s, and a few others in their Magnolia department. All of those would have ran me 500 to 1.5K more and that’s without getting a matching center speakers. I agree with Shady J on the breakin thing. I have found that Speakers are good for some, may not be for all. Your right your picking from some very fine speakers on this thread that everyone has posted up as recommendations.
The guys on here have way more experience and knowledge than I do with speaker design. Especially Shady J, and some of the others. Best of luck!

Mike

Last edited:
N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I feel ya man! I researched for months, even went down to a BestBuy store 25 miles away to do a look see and test run on B&W’s, MartinLogan 40s and 60s, and a few others in their Magnolia department. All of those would have ran me 500 to 1.5K more and that’s without getting a matching center speakers. I agree with Shady J on the breakin thing. I have found that Speakers are good for some, may not be for all. Your right your picking from some very fine speakers on this thread that everyone has posted up as recommendations.
The guys on here have way more experience and knowledge than I do with speaking design. Especially Shady J, and some of the others. Best of luck!

Mike
Thanks dude!

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I wish I could hear the Ascends without having to purchase them. Not into that return policy. I'd love to hear the Aperions as well, with that beautiful finish!

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I wish I could hear the Ascends without having to purchase them. Not into that return policy. I'd love to hear the Aperions as well, with that beautiful finish!
Aperion has a 60-day in-home trial period, with free shipping both ways, so it's easy to give them a try. Never heard the towers but I've loved my Verus Grand bookshelves.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis