$200 Or Less DAC/AMP Combo to drive KEF Q350 loud enough

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
What are some decent DAC/AMP combos or single unit solutions under $200 that can drive Q350 loud enough.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
There's really nothing good in that price range, especially since you want a DAC also. Only the desktop/near-field Chinese amps are in the territory and they have a lot of pitfalls, not to mention they probably don't have enough power to do the Q350 justice. Andrew Robinson has a good video on cheap Amazon/Aliexpress amps:

Used market may be the best way to go. Check eBay, forum listings, etc. You should be able to find old receivers and/or streamers in the few hundred dollar range.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
There's really nothing good in that price range, especially since you want a DAC also. Only the desktop/near-field Chinese amps are in the territory and they have a lot of pitfalls, not to mention they probably don't have enough power to do the Q350 justice. Andrew Robinson has a good video on cheap Amazon/Aliexpress amps:

Used market may be the best way to go. Check eBay, forum listings, etc. You should be able to find old receivers and/or streamers in the few hundred dollar range.
Was looking at SMSL SA300. Is it equally bad. It seems to have been around for some time. So besides the positive Amazon reviews which always seems to be positive. What is the word on them in Community.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Was looking at SMSL SA300. Is it equally bad. It seems to have been around for some time. So besides the positive Amazon reviews which always seems to be positive. What is the word on them in Community.
I had an SMSL amp roughly 10 years ago and I was always concerned it was going to burn the house down at some point (there was a significant arc every time I connected/disconnected the power supply). I eventually threw it out after being concerned about leaving it in standby when I was away from home. Up to you, but for me, never again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Loud enough means what spl at what distance? You might look thru the testing done at audiosciencereview....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In addition to the above questions, my gut reaction would be to look for 2nd hand receivers.
There is a very nice Marantz SR7001 not too far from me on CList for $200.
There's your DAC + AMP combo

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Was looking at SMSL A300 as well. That seems to have good 80W @ 8ohms rated per ch.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Used AVRs all the way. I got one gifted to me and I promptly bought another exactly the same for $75. Otherwise, trying to buy a true 100 watt or above amp was expensive. It ended up working so well that I have procrastinated upgrading going on 6 years now.

I also have a Fosi Audio BT30D Pro for fun side projects. I power some lower sensitivity bookshelf speakers with it, along with an 8" sub. It goes pretty loud and has no audible noise beside the music I put thru it.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
85 Db average or peak?
For Music 75-80db avg. For Movies would like to bump up a little to like 85db avg. But depends. Not a set range. Would depend on mood and time. But would like to have the potential to do it if possible.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Used AVRs all the way. I got one gifted to me and I promptly bought another exactly the same for $75. Otherwise, trying to buy a true 100 watt or above amp was expensive. It ended up working so well that I have procrastinated upgrading going on 6 years now.

I also have a Fosi Audio BT30D Pro for fun side projects. I power some lower sensitivity bookshelf speakers with it, along with an 8" sub. It goes pretty loud and has no audible noise beside the music I put thru it.
Yes. Actually there are even new AVRs from SONY and Yamaha at that price range. rated at 100W and 80W respectively. Yamaha has Optical input while SONY only has RCA in.

But wouldn't it be a bit big in size. For Desktop usage.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For Music 75-80db avg. For Movies would like to bump up a little to like 85db avg. But depends. Not a set range. Would depend on mood and time. But would like to have the potential to do it if possible.
Not a particularly difficult goal, except in one's imagination perhaps

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
LOL. I guess I end up purchasing the Receivers. Not used but the new ones from SONY or Yamaha.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Not a particularly difficult goal, except in one's imagination perhaps
So anything good at that price point. "New" like to purchase new. "Small" if possible but size shouldn't be holding me from getting good quality product. So if AVR is the way to go which be the best. SONY STRDH190 or Yamaha R-S202BL or Onkyo TX-8220

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So anything good at that price point. "New" like to purchase new. "Small" if possible but size shouldn't be holding me from getting good quality product. So if AVR is the way to go which be the best. SONY STRDH190 or Yamaha R-S202BL or Onkyo TX-8220
Generally can work, but what specific unit you like/have use for will vary. Figure out what you need/want now as well as a bit into the future perhaps.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
SONY seems to have lowest distortion and highest power output of the bunch.
LowEndRecievers.JPG

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Generally can work, but what specific unit you like/have use for will vary. Figure out what you need/want now as well as a bit into the future perhaps.
Yes for future usage as eventually that be handed over to friends when upgraded. Reliability is important. Hence would go with reliable AVR over cheap Chi-fi AMPs

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis