20 Albums You Should Own, But Probably Don't

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Not in any order

These are not in an order because I would get in a fight with myself if I tried to say one is better then others. Also I am going to try to limit it to one album per artist just for fun.

WLICO Yankee Hotel Foxtrot if you have never heard Wilco then you are missing out on some great music also check out Summerteeth and anything Tweedy has done(Friday Boston baby!!)

Mike Gordon Inside In His first solo album which is a sonic ride I highly recommend this album.

Leo Kottke&Mike Gordon Clone Q:How can you go wrong with acustic bass and 12 string?? A:you can't (new album 66steps comes out Aug 23rd)

The Disco Biscuits TranceFusion Brodcast Radio 1 I don't know how to describe them just get it.

the Flaming Lips Soft Bullitin Read above

Bob Marley Talkin Blues This is my personal favorite release by Bob

The Harder They Come Soundtrack This is quite possibly the best Reggae album ever.

Jerry Garcia Band Run For the Roses Its Jerry nuff said.

Jerry Garcia & John Kahn Bootleg 05-05-82 Live from Oregon ST Prison
You can't but this but download it here its AMAZING Jerry with an acustic. If you like say James Taylor you will love this.
If you know the album then you know my handle here, Johnny Too Bad.

Albums everyone needs, my list is short enough, I've got a decent number of those already recommended, but these are top shelf:

Joan Armatrading ... "Show Some Emotion"
(this is quite a bit different from the version on the album, but the arrangement is the same: from the album: "Show Some Emotion")

Count Basie and Big Joe Turner ("The Bosses")
(I don't know why this YouTube transcript sound so bad, but it's a taste, anyway, from the album: "Honeydripper")

J. Geils Band "Full House"
Just because it's so rediculously good, a live album, and this band was all about the live show. The studio albums are a huge contrast to what they were really all about. Sonics ... middling, but you foot will tap, that is if you can keep your ass in the chair. Yes, you should to turn it up.

The Carpenters ... any
Yeah, I know. Not my cup of tea either, but the Carpenters had some of the best production values ever put on vinyl. This is one of those records that will tell you how good your system really is. No YouTube examples, because they all suck compared to the CD or LP.

Gerry Rafferty "City to City"
Not so well known in America, this album and the single was #1 in the UK, Canada, Australia ... the list goes on. Very well produced album with good sonics. A 70's audio sound room / show demo favourite.

Rory Block "High Heeled Blues"
Famous in music circles, not so much in popular ones, Rory Block grew up amongst all the blues greats who would have their hair cut in her father's barber shop. Like Joan Armatrading, a self-taught guitarist who has created her own way of playing that a classically trained musician would have trouble with. She's also respected guitar teacher today. "Uncloudy Day" from the album.

If you want to go there, this is a great track to compare vinyl and CD examples of the song. You can hear the room noise being modulated in the digital version.

Rolling Stones "Exile On Main Street"
Here because if you only own one 'Stones album, the list is pretty short, and this is my choice. You could also try Sticky Fingers, but I prefer this one, better recording, and very well rounded. No YouTube clip, if you can't find some of this band's music, you're hopeless (but you probably already know that ;-)

Rage Against The Machine "Renegades"
Okay, you probably have heard of, or have, this album. But it's a must have, so included here just incase you don't.

Holst: The Planets
Okay, everyone who wants to dip a toe into Classical probably starts with a composition like The Planets. But I only recommend two versions, both quite unique, you can happily own both.

Gustav Holst (Composer), André Previn (Conductor), Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (Orchestra)
Note: NOT the Previn / London Symphony version.

Charles Dutiot and the Montreal Symphony Orchestra (Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal)

If you want to fall head first into some truly excellent Classical (both sound quality and performance) splurge for:

The Montreal Years
35 CD, Box Set
Charles Dutoit (Artist, Conductor), Joseph-Maurice Ravel (Composer), Camille Saint-Saëns (Composer), Manuel de Falla (Composer), Ottorino Respighi (Composer), Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov (Composer), Jacques Offenbach (Composer), Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal (Orchestra)

A bargain at $110.00 for the set.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Albums everyone needs, my list is short enough, I've got a decent number of those already recommended, but these are top shelf:

(this is quite a bit different from the version on the album, but the arrangement is the same: from the album: "Show Some Emotion")

(I don't know why this YouTube transcript sound so bad, but it's a taste, anyway, from the album: "Honeydripper")

Just because it's so rediculously good, a live album, and this band was all about the live show. The studio albums are a huge contrast to what they were really all about. Sonics ... middling, but you foot will tap, that is if you can keep your ass in the chair. Yes, you should to turn it up.

The Carpenters ... any
Yeah, I know. Not my cup of tea either, but the Carpenters had some of the best production values ever put on vinyl. This is one of those records that will tell you how good your system really is. No YouTube examples, because they all suck compared to the CD or LP.

Not so well known in America, this album and the single was #1 in the UK, Canada, Australia ... the list goes on. Very well produced album with good sonics. A 70's audio sound room / show demo favourite.

Famous in music circles, not so much in popular ones, Rory Block grew up amongst all the blues greats who would have their hair cut in her father's barber shop. Like Joan Armatrading, a self-taught guitarist who has created her own way of playing that a classically trained musician would have trouble with. She's also respected guitar teacher today. "Uncloudy Day" from the album.

If you want to go there, this is a great track to compare vinyl and CD examples of the song. You can hear the room noise being modulated in the digital version.

Here because if you only own one 'Stones album, the list is pretty short, and this is my choice. You could also try Sticky Fingers, but I prefer this one, better recording, and very well rounded. No YouTube clip, if you can't find some of this band's music, you're hopeless (but you probably already know that ;-)

Okay, you probably have heard of, or have, this album. But it's a must have, so included here just incase you don't.

Okay, everyone who wants to dip a toe into Classical probably starts with a composition like The Planets. But I only recommend two versions, both quite unique, you can happily own both.

Gustav Holst (Composer), André Previn (Conductor), Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (Orchestra)

Charles Dutiot and the Montreal Symphony Orchestra (Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal)

If you want to fall head first into some truly excellent Classical (both sound quality and performance) splurge for:

The Montreal Years
35 CD, Box Set
Charles Dutoit (Artist, Conductor), Joseph-Maurice Ravel (Composer), Camille Saint-Saëns (Composer), Manuel de Falla (Composer), Ottorino Respighi (Composer), Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov (Composer), Jacques Offenbach (Composer), Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal (Orchestra)

My favorite Holst - The Planets are: LP - Steinberg - Boston Symphony Orchestra on Deutsche Grammophon, and CD - Karajan and Berliner Philharmonika on Deutsche Grammophon....also LP - Tomita's version on RCA is pretty good.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
My favorite Holst - The Planets are: LP - Steinberg - Boston Symphony Orchestra on Deutsche Grammophon, and CD - Karajan and Berliner Philharmonika on Deutsche Grammophon....also LP - Tomita's version on RCA is pretty good.
I've got a number of versions, including Karjan /Berliner, which was my first Holst LP

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Out of the original list, I own these with Liz Phair and Porcupine Tree being my two favourites out of that list. There are some other albums I would add but I will do that later.

Built to Spill - Ancient Melodies of the Future:
Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Jesus & Mary Chain - 21Singles
Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
The Raveonettes - Whip It On
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Van Morrison Moondance. Greatest Song Ever.
Tupelo Honey and Wild Nights were pretty good too,
Dave

GaryReg

GaryReg

Audiophyte
Okay, anyone care to enlighten us? I've posted this elsewhere, but I'm curious to see the responses here at AH. What are your personal "Top 20 Albums That You Should Have Yet Probably Don't"? They needn't be your twenty favorites, just good stuff that's perhaps a bit off the beaten path. I'm always looking for something new and interesting, and you rarely hear anything good on the radio. :mad:

Many of the bands on this list are things I discoved thru the recommendations of fellow forum brothers in arms. :) Here's mine, in no particular order:

1. Iron and Wine- Our Endless Numbered Days: This is sorta folksy, mellow stuff, pretty low fi but interesting. I&W is just Sam Beam and his trusty 4-track, but very compelling. Listening to it daily will make you a better person.

2. Built to Spill - Ancient Melodies of the Future: Good hard alt rock with smarts and killer guitar riffs. Very catchy stuff with great songwriting and lots of hooks, Ancient Melodies of the Future might just convince you that Doug Marsch is a friggin' genius.

3. Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin: This one is honestly the Dark Side of the Moon for the modern day. The followup album, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, is killer too, but The Soft Bulletin is a great intro to the band.

4. Jesus & Mary Chain - 21Singles: I normally wouldn't recommend a greatest hits as an intro to a band, but I can't otherwise decide where to begin. These guys were very influencial yet criminally underrated in the US.

5. Alison Krauss - New Favorite: If you don't listen to newgrass you may have never heard Krauss. She's a fiddle phenom, but even if she didn't play a note, her angelic voice would still justify her recording contract. This is a real treat if you have any affinity for folk, country or bluegrass at all and can appreciate a great voice.

6. Joe Satriani - Engines of Creation: This one's a fist in the gut from the first note. The Satch is a modern day guitar legend, and this one is pure glorious noise. Do yourself a favor and crank Attack on something that can play some bass. Engines is easily his best post-Surfing With The Alien work.

7. Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: Despite the fact that the years had taken their toll on his voice, Cash was never more powerful than on this one. In a long career filled with great music, this was among his finest work. Chocked full of some of his best songs, including the apocalyptic title track, this one shouldn't be missed, even if you don't listen to country.

8. Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville: I love all her stuff (well, not the new S/T one- I'm pretending that one doesn't exist! ), but Exile, her debut, is arguably her finest. She basically started the whole Lillith Fair/Grrrl power movement, but if you don't hold that against her too much this one's an instant classic from my favorite Potty Mouthed Girl.

9. The Clancy Brothers With Tommy Makem - Ain't It Grand Boys: The Clancy's were almost singlehandedly responsible for the folk explosion of the 50's and were very influencial. In fact, Bob Dylan cited them as a primary influence and even recorded some of their songs. While all the material here is available elsewhere, the Clancy's were always at their most compelling while playing live, so Ain't It Grand Boys, a double live set, is the perfect place to start.

10. Cantus - Let Your Voice Be Heard. Cantus is a mostly-classical vocal group from Minnesota. Let Your Voice Be Heard is a collection of secular and religious songs from around the world, magnificently performed and immaculately recorded in the Great Hall of the Washington Pavillion in Sioux Falls, SD by John Atkinson, the editor in chief of Stereophile magazine. It's hard to see how this CD could be improved. This album will blow your mind and show you the power of the human voice.

11. Roger Waters - Amused To Death: The latest project from former Floyd frontman and songwriter Roger Waters, Amused To Death will show you who the real heart of Pink Floyd really was. Nothing in Floyds catalog of post-81 fluff can match this one.

12. Sonny Rollins - Way Out West: Most would say if you only buy one real jazz records to make it Miles Davis' Kind of Blue- and it's hard to argue with that choice. But for my money, I'll take tenor-sax-god Sonny Rollins Way Out West. This one's simply more compelling to me than anything by Davis. Go for the XRCD version if you can; it's spendy, but the sound is fantastic.

13. Dave Brubeck - Time Out: Okay, I'm not 'Mr Jazz' by any means, but to me Time Out is the greatest album in jazz history. Filled with catchy tunes and wild experiments in rhythm, this one at once accessible and eccentric. Listen to it once before you decide you don't like jazz.

14. Sigur Ros - () : This is a strange one- the album has no name, and there aren't even names for the songs nor any credits. The whole album is an odd electronic experiment in glacially unfolding sounds and strange wordless chants (in a nonsense language the band calls "Hopelandic"). It's not an easy listen at first, but patience really pays off. This isn't one you'll blast this on your car stereo- it's more like an excercise in sonic meditation.

15. The Raveonettes - Whip It On: This disc really sounds like a collision between the Beach Boys and Jesus & Mary Chain's tour busses. :p Glorious 3 minute slices of feedback and fuzzed out noise that's basically a homage to the music of the 50's mixed with Jesus and Mary Chain. In fact, imagine J&MC recorded by Phil Spector and you'll be close. Not everyone digs this, but it's certainly something different.

16. Kaki King - Legs to Make Us Longer : While she's far from a household name, Kaki King makes some wonderful guitar noises. She hammers on it, whacks it as a percussion instument and picks it nearly to peices, but she actually has learned to do it within the context of real songs. She'll probably never sell a lot of records, but she's damned fun to listen to.

17. Beck - Sea Change: Beck is probably mostly thought of as a sardonic jokester (much like me :p ), but this rare album of totally sincere and un-ironic music is quite a departure for Bech, but very powerful. Especially good on DVD-A.

18. Steely Dan - Two Against Nature: This recommendation is conditional- you should only buy this on DVD-A. The music is fine, if a bit less ambitious than their older stuff. No, you should buy this one to hear what can be done with modern recording technolody. If you have surround sound and a decent rig, you'll be treated to one of the best sounding discs ever recorded.

19. XTC - Skylarking: This one's a tough call- I could as easily recommend Apple Venus Vol I or Nonesuch, but Skylarking has stood the test of time. Combining the bouyant harmonies of the Beatles with a heavy dose of sardonic wit and irreverance, XTC has created a string of classic records. This one's a great intro to their charms.

20. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia: This disc combines poetic lyrics and angst with a hard rock uppercut to the jaw. Nominally a prog band, PT collaborated with the Swedish metal band Opeth to create a very dark masterpeice in In Absentia. Go for this one on DVD-A and you won't be disappointed.

While I'm a big fan of classical music, for this list I'm sticking to rock and pop. There's a lot of great stuff out there, and of course this isn't meant to be comprehensive.

Please list the most overlooked classics you think should be in my collection. The idea is to expand each others' musical horizons by adding everyone's hidden gems. :)
**Try "The Greatest Invention". The Harley Card Quintet knocks it out of the park, with compositions and performances. This is another great recording to admire your systems performance. Some of the best sounding guitar, both electric and acoustic, saxophone, piano, bass and drums, recorded masterfully at Inception Studios, it features some of the new Jazz virtuosos coming out of Toronto Canada!

Paudio

Paudio

Junior Audioholic

The Carpenters ... any

The Montreal Years
35 CD, Box Set

Fine list.
Brings back a lot of memories.
My favorite Joan Armatrading album is ''to the limit'' made just before she got really famous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umUeI8kFMG4

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Fine list.
Brings back a lot of memories.
My favorite Joan Armatrading album is ''to the limit'' made just before she got really famous.
She's famous?

Anyway I saw her live twice, both in concert hall venues, once in the late 70's and again around '83. I think she toured Canada and not the US in those days, but I'm not positive. We had good acts in my town even though it's off the regular air and rail routes, and in those days only about 150,000 people. The Who played here in 1964. Elton John loves the city for some reason as well (he once did a tour of North America, us and one other city. He's coming back next fall for his "Farewell Yellow Brick Road" tour).

When I was barely in High School saw a band I had never heard of, called "KISS", they didn't have an album out yet. In concert, opening for Savoy Brown and Manfred Mann's Earth Band. I remember tickets were $4.50 ($C and $US were about equal then).

Last edited:
Ace_Valiant

Ace_Valiant

Audiophyte
Hi, everyone and thank you for adding me.

This will be my first post, so I hope this will sound interesting....

Not in particulary order :

Nostalgia 77 - A journey too far
Menahan Street Band - Make the road by walking
Menahan street band - The crossing
Fredrick Gary Comeau - Hungry Ghost
Morning Star - My place in the dust
Lhasa - The living road
Matthew Halsall - Fletcher Moss Park
Matthew Halsall - When the worl was one
Mammals Hand - Animalia
Grizzly Bear - Shields
Bon Iver - For Emma, forever ago
Archive - You all look the same to me
Gotan Project - La Revancha Del Tango
Chilly Gonzales - Chambers
Susheela Raman - Salt Rain
Wax Tailor - Dusty rainbow from the dark
Other Lives - Tamer Animals
Shadowfax - Folksongs for a nuclear village
Zero 7 - When it falls
Portishead - Dummy

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai

Lhasa - The living road
Mammals Hand - Animalia
Grizzly Bear - Shields
Zero 7 - When it falls
Portishead - Dummy
+1 for Shadowfax! I have not listened to that one in over 20 years (a friend of mine "acquired" it way back when and I never got it back). Trivia time! Without using the Googles (I am relying on the honor system here) where does the name "Shadowfax" come from?

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
Brad - Shame - Wonderfully mellow and funky album. Has guitar work from Pearl Jam's Stone Gossard and fantastic vocals from ex-Satchel frontman Shaun Smith.
I know this is an old post, but damn, I never thought I’d see Brad or Satchel mentioned anywhere. Ever haha. John Hoag is my uncle and Cory Kane my cousin.

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
+1 for Shadowfax! I have not listened to that one in over 20 years (a friend of mine "acquired" it way back when and I never got it back). Trivia time! Without using the Googles (I am relying on the honor system here) where does the name "Shadowfax" come from?
The only Shadowfax that comes to mind is from LoTR, but I’m a bit of a nerd so I’m not sure that’s the right one lol.

Paudio

Paudio

Junior Audioholic

Lhasa - The living road
Mammals Hand - Animalia
Grizzly Bear - Shields
Zero 7 - When it falls
Portishead - Dummy
I dont know any of the artist on the list so I have a lot of googlin' to do:) thanks for posting.

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
I can't stop listening to this group. Gotta hear this on a good system and vinyl is how to take this medicine and at large volumes Get all 3 albums not a bad song on any of them and he also has a X-Mass record too

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
The one that trully enchanted me, it's a new thing and it might get lost easily in today's output so don't let it.
1558598558664.png

After a few times, I love every song. It's like the best of and not a regular album. This one stands out:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The one that trully enchanted me, it's a new thing and it might get lost easily in today's output so don't let it.
View attachment 29576

After a few times, I love every song. It's like the best of and not a regular album. This one stands out:
I tried both In Chains and the album....uh, no thanks guess we're just gonna have to call this a difference in taste. :) But suggestions always welcome so I can try 'em...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis