20 Albums You Should Own, But Probably Don't

20to20K

Full Audioholic
I'm with Jax...

jaxvon said:
Joe, you have good tastes! I can't believe I forgot CTA...thats's a GREAT album.
Joe,

The albums I'm familiar with on your list are some of my favs. The few that I am not familiar with I'm now going to investigate.

Thanks,

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
rjbudz said:
I guess I'm with you and shadow ferret. I got stuck in that timewarp too. I guess you don't like (c)rap music either, eh?!
Hehe, got that right.

I'll keep an eye out for the Outlaw's debut album. Always liked them, though never owned anything by them.

Hopefully this thread will continue. I now have a bunch of cds on my watch list because of it.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I'll try to keep this honest to the original post...albums that you probably don't own. I see a lot of "of course I own that" albums up here...not that there's anything wrong with that. I'll list a few that I find very impactful and sort of "statement" albums:

The Disintegration Loops I-IV - William Basinski
I can't begin to sum up this album, but this link does a good job. This guy dug up some old loops he had done back in the 80's and decided to convert them to digital. He was doing the conversion while he had friends over at his apartment, and they happened to be playing as the events of 9/11 took place. Gives all 4 of the albums a sort of eerie feeling when you know the back story:
http://www.hauntedink.com/25/basinski-disintegration.html

Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
This one should need no explanation.

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
A pinnacle achievment in the indie rock annals, only to be followed by nothing. The band all but disappeared into obscurity after the release of the momentus album.

Endtroducing - DJ Shadow
Just look up reviews on the net. Across the board, you'll see words like "monumental" "watershed" "all that was before and now after" "achievement" etc etc. It is THE album that brought DJ's to the mainstream.

Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys
New York party kids leave the confines of Brooklyn and head out to California to hook up with The Dust Brothers and record a masterpiece.

The Blue Notebooks - Max Richter
Modern day composer from Germany who takes the asthetics of classical music and brings it to the future with digital flare. Background music for sure.

Moon & Antarctica - Modest Mouse
I won't begin to try to describe this one. Just buy it if you don't have it.

OK Computer - Radiohead
Alongside The Soft Bulletin , they're the 1/2 albums of the 90's.

I Am the Fun Blame Monster - Menomena
Mix up the letters to "The First Menomena Album" and that's where they got the title for this album. An absolute out-of-nowhere album that doesn't seem to really borrow interest from anyone. At times soft, at times hard, and at times funky. Weird and interesting.

Vaudeville Villain - Viktor Vaughn
Call it "indie", call it "backpack"...call it "underground." Call it whatever you want, but if you're sick of the insanely repetitive, everyone's-doing-the-samething mentality of rap/hip-pop that you see on MTV, this is your salvation. Viktor Vaughn (aka MF Doom) along with others like El-P, Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox, Mr. Lif, etc, are here to save rap...to take it back to when it wasn't about thuggin', hundred thousand dollar (rented) cars in video shoots and all the pomp and circumstance that is mtv-style rap. These "indie" rappers focus on the beats and the rhymes and that's it. This is album is a stellar example of it.

Now, while they haven't been out long enough for me to consider them "essentials" i'd love to throw the first 2 albums from the "50 states" idea from Sufjan Stevens: "Greetings From Michigan" and "Come On Feel the Illinoise." If you like incredibly complex, insanely orchestrated folk music, be prepared to be amazed.

I've tried to stick with more "indie" stuff since the thread was about stuff you may or may not own. Hopefully someone out there will hear one of these and appreciate the knowledge.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
JoeE SP9 said:
Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus
St. Thomas is my favorite Rollins tune

Miles Davis Kind Of Blue
Best selling jazz album in history

Chicago Chicago Transit Authority
Their first and still the best

Beatles Abbey Road
She came in through the bathroom window

John Coltrane My Favorite Things
Julie Andrews wouldn't recognize the tune

Freddie Hubbard Red Clay
The title song is worth it all

Return To Forever Light As A Feather
Listen to Spain

Miles Davis *****es Brew
This is where fusion came from

Frank Sinatra Live At The Sands
Live with Count Basie

John Mayall The Turning Point
Great music with no drummer

George Benson Give Me The Night
Mega hit every song very listenable

Santana Abraxas
Black Magic Woman and Oya Como Va

Fleetwood Mack Rumours
Stevie Nicks!!!!

Donald Fagen The Nightfly
Music to relax with your lady friend

Steely Dan Gaucho
Hey Nineteen!!!

Herbie Hancock Headhunters
Herbies best fusion

Allman Brothers Live At Filmore East
Duane and Berry Oakley still alive

Weather Report I Sing The Body Electric
I sing electric music

Stevie Wonder Songs In The Key Of Life
Stevie's best

Marvin Gaye Greatest Hits
A collection of Marvin's best

These are the first twenty I thought of right off the top of my head. :cool:
Joe, these are a GREAT collection. Good taste, me boy, and any of these will delight and grace a good speaker system. There sure are some wonderful blues and jazz and fusion items out there.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Thank you all for vindicating my taste in music. I didn't mention some of my more esoteric favorites. So hear goes. Mind you some of these are in the unobtainable catagory.

Buddy Rich Class of 78
recorded direct to disk Vinyl

Dave Brubeck A Cut Above

Sessions This is a double album released by JBL to demo their speakers. It has Alex Harvey, Alex Richmond and Hoyt Axton singing. They dissect all the recordings and show how they are mixed and recorded. Very informative and very good sound. Vinyl

Kam Dhillon Dance With Me
Punjabi pop from Manchester GB. If you like to dance check it out.

Dennis Ferrer Funu
African pop. This band is tighter than a rats ***.

Swell Session A Swell Session
Brazilion pop. Infectious rhythms.

The Incredible Soul Collection Double CD from Rhino
If you like old school R&B you should own this.

Verdi LaTraviata on EMI
Beverly Sills has a voice to die for. Libiamo is!!!!!

John Abercrombie Timeless
on ECM with Jack DeJohnette and Jan Hammer

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
corysmith01 said:
I've tried to stick with more "indie" stuff since the thread was about stuff you may or may not own. Hopefully someone out there will hear one of these and appreciate the knowledge.
Your tastes and mine are similar. Many or all of the nay-nellies haven't heard new-school "underground" hip hop stuff. Yet, the castigations fly. Oh well, such is life. Trapped in the past? Not me. This is where music is still innovating, and how. It's the new jazz.

Endtroducing is absolutely amazing on a technical level, but it's pretty dark. Gotta be in the mood. Paul's Boutique is incredible too. Sometimes my favorite of theirs, though I really like Check Your Head and Ill Communication a lot too. Hello Nasty was widely overlooked but is a stunning achievement.

The Quannum label is turning out some really killer, new stuff. And, Lifesavas, Lyrics Born, Dan the Automator, and The Roots are bending minds around the world. Get back to the roots of the genre with Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Public Enemy, and Brand Nubian.

Or just tune out. I love the old stuff too, but them records get dusty.

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
JoeE SP9 said:
Thank you all for vindicating my taste in music. I didn't mention some of my more esoteric favorites. So hear goes. Mind you some of these are in the unobtainable catagory.

Buddy Rich Class of 78

Dave Brubeck A Cut Above

Sessions This is a double album released by JBL to demo their speakers. It has Alex Harvey, Alex Richmond and Hoyt Axton singing. They dissect all the recordings and show how they are mixed and recorded. Very informative and very good sound. Vinyl

Kam Dhillon Dance With Me
Punjabi pop from Manchester GB. If you like to dance check it out.

Dennis Ferrer Funu
African pop. This band is tighter than a rats ***.

Swell Session A Swell Session
Brazilion pop. Infectious rhythms.

The Incredible Soul Collection Double CD from Rhino
If you like old school R&B you should own this.

Verdi LaTraviata on EMI
Beverly Sills has a voice to die for. Libiamo is!!!!!

John Abercrombie Timeless
on ECM with Jack DeJohnette and Jan Hammer
That Buddy Rich Album is now available as a SACD but it's now called Buddy Rich With "The Best Band I Ever Had" it sounds very good.
I got my copy from Amazon, I still have my Direct to Disc copies of that one and the Dave Brubeck too, but I noticed a copy of Brubeck on EBay tonight.
If you like that Swell Session you should give a listen to Sergio Mendes Brasil 88 , like you said "infectious rhythms"

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Rob Babcock said:
Okay, anyone care to enlighten us? I've posted this elsewhere, but I'm curious to see the responses here at AH. What are your personal "Top 20 Albums That You Should Have Yet Probably Don't"? They needn't be your twenty favorites, just good stuff that's perhaps a bit off the beaten path. I'm always looking for something new and interesting, and you rarely hear anything good on the radio. :mad:
Not 20, but a few that most of you probably don't have:

Shivaree - I Oughtta Give You a Shot in the Head for Making Me Live in This Dump Almost worth owning the CD for the title alone. The song Goodnight Moon is gorgeous, as well as very interesting.

Townes Van Zandt - A Far Cry from Dead I would have preferred a bit less overdubbing, but Sanitarium Blues and Waitin' 'round to Die are well worth the price of the disc.

Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings Though not really complete (one more alternate take was unearthed after this was released), it is a powerful collection by an amazing singer, much admired by people like Eric Clapton. (The sound quality, due to its age, leaves something to be desired.)

Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Cow Fingers & Mosquito Pie You haven't lived until you've heard Screamin' Jay sing I Put a Spell on You. He did some other great albums, but it is good to start at the beginning. (I should mention that he was not "politically correct" on this disc, and probably not on any other.) This is basically Screamin' Jay Hawkins first LP AT HOME WITH SCREAMIN' JAY HAWKINS (1958) with some alternate takes, B-sides, and one previously unreleased song added.

Loudon Wainwright III - Grown Man Very funny, and very real. Grown Man will be enjoyed by your girlfriend as well. IWIWAL is not to be missed. And Human Cannonball is quite unusual--an obituary put to music--yet beautiful, which shows Wainwright in a more serious mood.

Billie Holiday - Billie's Blues An amazing record of a live performance with an appreciative audience toward the end of her life (with some studio tracks as well). She was obviously quite drunk during the concert, making for a very moving, sad performance. (I won't argue about whether this is her best or not, but it is one you probably don't have, and it is not to be missed. I thought about including Ella Fitzgerald - The Complete Ella in Berlin, but it is more likely that you have that one; you certainly should have it.)

Louis Armstrong - The Complete Town Hall Concert Although no one can outshine Louis Armstrong, Jack Teagarden properly shares the spotlight with him. His rendition of Saint James Infirmary is unsurpassed. Some of these tracks are also on "The Complete RCA Victor Recordings" which, curiously, is not complete, as it does not contain this complete concert, which is an RCA recording.

Louis Armstrong - The Hot Fives & Sevens This is quite simply some of the best music of any type ever recorded. The recording quality, though, will separate the music lovers from those who simply want impressive sound. (It was recorded in the 1920's. With my ribbon tweeters, it sounds like the gramophone player is in my living room!) This one (JSP Records) is recommended over the more expensive Columbia release in the Penguin Guide to Jazz (an old edition I consulted before buying mine a few years back), but there is a newer release by Definitive Classics, which some people seem to think might be better. If any of you have heard both, please respond.

Count Basie - The Complete Decca Recordings There is nothing like genuine Kansas City jazz. There is a newer release by Definitive Classics, which some people seem to think might be better. If any of you have heard both, please respond.

Mozart: Requiem - Schreier et al. This version has been called "a revelation". I agree.

Mieczyslaw Horszowski Plays Schumann, Chopin and Bach From the above link:

5 out of 5 stars The finest solo piano recording ever., May 4, 2000

Reviewer: A music fan
Obviously, I must clarify the title of my review; this is the finest solo piano recording ever heard by me (I have a substantial collection, however, including discs featuring such greats as Rubinstein, Horowitz, Kempff, Cliburn, Rachmaninoff, Schnabel, Cortot, Brendel, Zimerman, etc.). Like most great pianists, he improved with age. Horszowski was 98 when he recorded this disc (commonly referred to as his '100th Birthday Recording,' because it was released at about that time), bringing 95 years of experience to the performance. Playing the piano was as natural to him as breathing is to most of us, and it shows in his playing. Horszowski played with extraordinary gentleness, while possessing a remarkable technique. He was never flashy, always using his great skill to play beautifully, rather than to draw attention to his ability (He is reported to have said to one of his students who did otherwise, "Please remember, this is a sonata for piano, not pianist.").

If you purchase this disc and are not immediately drawn to it, please play it repeatedly before passing judgment on it. The subtleties of his greatness may go unnoticed on the first playing.
Enough said.

Last edited:
sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
"Vaudeville Villain - Viktor Vaughn"

MF Doom is really the best MC for my money right now. I need to pick this one up. I have Venomus Villian and its great. Along with MMMMMM Food and a few others. I also have a leak of the new DangerDoom disc which is killer.

Keeping on the lines of things others MAY NOT HAVE I would like to submit

The Flaming Lips: Clouds Taste Metallic

Great disc if you dig the Lips

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Take this list with a grain of salt. I rarely recommend albums because I don't want to be held responsible if someone doesn't like it. My tastes run from The Archies simply because it gives me happy memories of my childhood, all the way to Zappa. So my advice is sample this music if you can, then decide for yourself. Also, sticking to the topic, more or less, these are albums I doubt many have. I'm working on the assumption that most people already have things like The Beatles "Abby Road," Pink Floyd "DSOM," AC/DC "Highway to Hell" or "Back in Black," Boston, and so on. And unless otherwise specified, most of these albums are from the 70s.

1) Captain Beyond. Self-titled debut album. This is one of the few albums that I've actually listened to nearly every day of my life. Guitar-driven prog rock contains some of the best riffs in rock. Often called a supergroup because it's members came from Deep Purple (vocalist Rod Evans), Iron Butterfly (guitarist Rhino, bassist Lee Dorman), and Edgar Winter Group (drummer Bobby Caldwell, also appears on Rick Derringer's "All America Boy."). Originally released in 1972 this album sounds as fresh now as it did then. I feel so strongly about this album that the one and only "tribute" album I own is dedicated to this one.

2) Uriah Heep. "Look at Yourself." With this their third effort Heep achieved IMO that perfect balance between heavy guitar and soaring keyboards that all prog metal bands should try to aspire. Their next two albums, "Demons and Wizards" and "Magician's Birthday" also shine but are more polished and not quite as "raw" as this one. This is my second favorite album in my collection.

3) Armageddon. Self-titled only album. Keith Relf's final vocal performance before his untimely death. For 1975, this was very heavy, guitar driven, music. Maybe your local "classics" radio station has played "Silver Tightrope" from time to time. The rest of the album is nothing like that, leaning toward hard-driving metal-like guitar riffs. The band was made up of ex-Steamhammer guitarist Martin Pugh and bassist Louis Cennamo, along with
journeyman drummer Bobby Caldwell.

4) Savoy Brown Blues Band. "Looking In." This was the second or third incarnation of the English blues band led by guitarist Kim Simmons. This, IMO, has some of the tastiest guitar work ever put on vinyl. After this album the rhythm section ran off (everyone kept leaving poor Kim in a lurch) and formed Foghat with the addition of Roger Price as lead guitarist.

5) Blue Oyster Cult "Secret Treaties." BOC was often referred to as "intelligent metal" whatever that means. This album was stylistically and technically their best "raw" effort. By that I mean, it was still closer in attitude to their first two albums than to the almost poppish and highly polished "Agents of Fortune." They must have reached a level of respect at their own record label by this point in their career because the engineering
on their previous two albums was atrocious.

6) Gentle Giant. "Power and the Glory." It's actually hard to choose a definitive Gentle Giant album as they are all enjoyable. This one just happens to have my favorite song, "Proclamation," which has a definate medieval flair to it. Gentle Giant was known as a "musician's band" meaning, I guess, that musicians would appreciate the complexity of their music much more readily than, I don't know, the less intelligent critics. The band was best known for odd time signatures and original vocal harmonies. Although they are often lumped under the "prog rock" umbrella, they really are their own band and incomparable to the more mainstream prog bands like Yes and ELP, or even Pink Floyd.

7) Pink Floyd. "Piper at the Gates." As a card-carrying space cadet, I just love space rock and this Syd Barrett-led version of Floyd entered uncharted territory at warp speed without any attempt at commercial success.

8) Hawkwind. "Space Ritual." With Syd Barrett's drug-induced insanity, Pink Floyd left a gaping hole in the space rock void that was quickly filled admirably by Hawkwind. Poor engineering and production made Hawkwind's studio efforts weak and enemic sounding. It was this live set that showed the metal power of this band allowing Lemmy (of Motorhead fame) to create a sonic foundation upon which the rest of the band could soar and solo. Worth noting is their collaboration with sci-fi/fantasy writer Michael Moorcock, helping them achieve cult status among us "Elric of Melnibone" geeks.

9) Stray Dog. Self-titled debut album. I still remember when this was reviewed by the Rolling Stone. On the same page were reviews for the debut albums of Montrose and Kiss and if I recall correctly, this album received the best acolades of the three. Like those two, it is guitar-driven rock, and despite it being a power trio the music is lush, complex and expansive, with some nice bluesy guitar solos. The lead singer/guitarist/songwriter is one Snuffy Walden. He currently puts out new age jazz and television themes, most notably the "Thirty-something" theme.

10) Black Sabbath. "Sabotage." Of course I'm working on the assumption that everyone is familiar with Sabbath's previous 5 offerings. This one is usually lost in the shuffle except by the most die-hard fan, yet it is also one of their strongest in regards to songwriting, arranging and producing. The songs rock hard yet offer more complexity than anything previous. IMO it is where the band reached it's peak creatively before
everything collapsed under the weight of excessive drugs and their fallout with Ozzy.

11) Return to Forever. "Romantic Warrior." This album was the pinnacle effort by what many regard as among the best fushion jazz musicians of their day, Chick Corea, Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke, and Lenny White. My favorite song is "Sorceress" mainly because of it's strong, deep bass line which, by the way, created a buzzing noise from the Paradigm PDR-8 I was demoing at the time. That'll teach them to leave the room.

12) Journey. Self-titled debut album. This album exemplifies why, at the tender age of 17, Neal Schon was asked within a 24 hour period to join both Santana and Eric Clapton. Just some marvelous guitar work and the guitar/keyboard interplay between Schon and Greg Rolie is almost exhausting at times. Rolie handles vocals. NO PERRY! As the liner notes say, "We suggest that you play this at the highest possible volume in order to fully
appreciate the sound of Journey." Side bar, the song "Kohoutek" came out around the time all the hoopla revolved around the coming of that comet. It was supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime spectacular and it was featured in books, magazines, etc. Turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of a lifetime. Kind of like Y2K. Oh, and lest I forget, Aynsley Dunbar on drums.

13) Nazareth. "Rampant." Before songs like "Expect No Mercy" and "Hair of the Dog" Nazareth put out this all-around excellent hard rock effort with fast-tempoed songs like "Silver Dollar Forger" and "Glad When You're Gone" and the spacey remake of the Yardbirds' "Shapes of Things."

14) Spock’s Beard. “Day for Night.” 1999! Yes, something almost current. A prog rock band with 70s sensibilities. A combination of classic Yes, Pink Floyd, and Moody Blues and by that I mean they have melodies, choruses, harmonies, intelligent and thoughtful songs; a rarity in today’s every band is indistinguishable from the next.

15) ZZ Top. “Tres Hombres.” Before the beards, before the fancy cars, before the spinning guitars, before the over-engineering, sampling and drum machines, there was that little old band from Texas, and they could rock!

16) Joe Jackson. "Look Sharp." Funny, upbeat, intelligent new wave pop. No kidding! I still love the lyrics, "Pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street. From my window I'm staring while my coffee grows cold."

17) The Dictators. "Go Girl Crazy!" Rock as it was meant to be. Lots of humor, not taking itself seriously. Opens with a remake of Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" sung by two men and goes steadily downhill with tongue planted firmly in cheek from there.

18) The Bus Boys. “Minimum Wage Rock & Roll.” An African-American rock group that also didn't take itself too seriously, yet was 4 star critically acclaimed by Rolling Stone. You can't help but laugh at lyrics like, "There goes the neighborhood, white folk movin’ in, they'll bring their next of kin."

19) David Bowie. “David Live.” This set documents the glam rock phase of Bowie’s career. All his best early songs are here, “Rebel Rebel,” “Suffragette City,” “Diamond Dogs,” “Jean Genie” yet they are much improved over the studio versions.

20) Deep Purple. “Made in Japan.” Probably the best live set ever. Standards like “Highway Star,” “Strange Kind of Woman,” and “Smoke on the Water” which were plodding and murky on the studio versions have new life breathed into them with faster tempos and sweeping arpeggios by Blackmore.

Some honorable mentions: Stanley Clarke “School Days.” Al DiMeolo “Land of the Midnight Sun.” Woodstock. Elton John “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.” Cat Stevens “Teaser and the Firecat.” Supertramp “Crime of the Century.” Jerry Goodman and Jan Hammer "Like Children."

Last edited:
Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Most Excellent Post SF

I had several of your selections on vinly but not on CD. That Joe Jackson album was great and he went on to do some other less mainstream stuff. I saw him twice in concert, the second time with his more swing/big band sound and he pretty much got booed off stage at the Pasadena Civic.

I also saw the Bus Boys a couple of times in concert, once at the Mt. Baldy resort on So. Cal. It was a VERY SMALL venue and my friend and I chatted with the lead singer/band leader for most of the evening when they weren't playing. A very intelligent guy and a very nice, down to earth family man. That is also a great album and goes hand in hand with the Waitresses self titled album!

But the David Live is a real jewel and one of the better all-time live albums. I'll have to replace that one.

I think this is what Rob had in mind with his original post. :cool:

R

RMK!

Joe Jackson

Duffinator said:
I had several of your selections on vinly but not on CD. That Joe Jackson album was great and he went on to do some other less mainstream stuff. I saw him twice in concert, the second time with his more swing/big band sound and he pretty much got booed off stage at the Pasadena Civic.

I also saw the Bus Boys a couple of times in concert, once at the Mt. Baldy resort on So. Cal. It was a VERY SMALL venue and my friend and I chatted with the lead singer/band leader for most of the evening when they weren't playing. A very intelligent guy and a very nice, down to earth family man. That is also a great album and goes hand in hand with the Waitresses self titled album!

But the David Live is a real jewel and one of the better all-time live albums. I'll have to replace that one.

I think this is what Rob had in mind with his original post. :cool:

Have you heard the Heaven and Hell (Seven Deadly Sins) CD? I was channel surfing late one night in 1999 and saw a live version of this disk on PBS's West 54th or or 57th Street (can't remember which). It was an amazing show. I actually contacted the shows producer to see if I could get a copy but no luck. The CD is also very good if you can find it. Give it a listen.

H

hillbill

Audioholic
I know there are some metal-heads on here and some of you may have some of these albums but most probably don't. Anyway, here is a list of 20 HARD ROCK albums you should give a listen/buy.

Scream - Let It Scream
This is the album that led to Motley Crue hiring John Corabi to replace Vince Neil (temporarily) in 1993.

Voodooland - Give Me Air
Basically a solo album from a guy named Karl Cochran who has written and performed with Ace Frehley. A little bluesy.

Badlands - Badlands
Album from former Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Jake E. Lee. Solid bluesy rock/metal in the veign of Deep Purple. Sounds like it was recorded in the 70's (that's a compliment).

Slayer - Reign In Blood
The greatest speed metal album ever. Don't be afraid, check it out.

Y & T - Best of '81-'85
Great Cali band that got lost in the shuffle. Known for their killer live shows. These guys rock.

XYZ - XYZ
If you like great melodic hard rock similar to Dokken, give this "hair band" as spin. It was even produced by Don Dokken himself.

Armored Saint - Symbol of Salvation
The most consistent album from the Saint. Really heavy with great guitar work.

Royal Court of China - Geared & Primed
I have no idea where these guys came from or where they went for that matter. I saw them open for Cheap Trick in like '88. Great "garage rock".

Judas Priest - Painkiller
A Judas Priest speed metal album. A very overlooked gem. Halford's voice !

Union - Union
One of those solid hard rock bands that should have been huge. Featured Kiss guitarist Bruce Kulick and vocalist John Corabi.

Def Leppard - On Through The Night
We all probably have Pyromania and Hysteria, but go back and give this one a try. These guys were so hungry and determined. And man, it rocked. Features one of my favorite Lep songs, "Wasted".

Twenty 4 Seven - Destination Everywhere
A buddy of mine burned me a copy of this cd. Features a guy from Ratt(!), but it is just a great straight ahead rock album.

Motochrist - Greetings From The Bonesville Salt Flats
This one is tough to describe. Its like some kinda punk/hair band mix. But a lot of fun.

Geddy Lee - My Favorite Headache
I love Rush, and this is a must have for Rush fans. More melodic than a Rush record but still rocks.

Enuff Z Nuff - Strength
A very talented band that was essentially lost in the 80's hair metal scene. Fans of Cheap Trick should give this album a spin. CT is their idols.

Sevendust - Home
Kind of a twist on the whole Korn, System of A Down type band. Nu Metal but with a soulful singer and really heavy, slammin' songs! The drummer is awesome.

Butch Walker - Left of Self-Centered
This guy is kind of a hot commidity in the song writing/producing circles right now (the Donnas, Tommy Lee) but this is the best thing he has done. Hilarious lyrics and fun sing along choruses.

Heaven's Edge - Another 80's hair band with killer guitar playing and big sing along chouruses. Like a much heavier Bon Jovi.

Helmet - Meantime
Kind of a heavy metal grundge record that came out in the early 90s. Kind of punkish Soundgarden (?). Cool cd.

King's X - Anything They Have Recorded
If you haven't bought anything buy this band, run right out and do so (or order online). Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, Tape Head, Dogman, etc., they are all classics. A shame these guys aren't huge.

R

Regnehry

Audiophyte
Yet another list

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation Hard to believe that they have made virtually no lists, so that's why they are up first. Daydream Nation to me has the best balance of the noise, fragile melody and sheer rock that make up the 20 something Sonic Youth albums to date.

Can- Tago Mago First album by another long lasting band. A first all German band put in a workethic that monks wouldn't not endure. Playing hours on hours in their studio, they found their sound when a loose canon from Japan took charge of the vocals. Tens and maybe hundreds of hours of material were discarded to leave this double vinyl as it's residu. Without it Krautrock would be a word known to very few.

Dillinger Escape plan - Calculating Infinity This music was literally not made to be listened to. Members of the band considered it a small sideproject where they could do anything they wanted to and that would be it. Until someone suggested they'd take it out of the garage. So imagine stepping into a cave and waking up 14,749 bats (give or take one) that are trying to find their way out, but you are in the way! Not for the weakhearted.

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures Tragic story ending in suicide of singer. Sounds too familiar, doesn't it? On the brink of the eighties Joy Division made one of the most monumental wave albums ever. The band continued after Ian Curtis' suicide to form New Order, another giant but slightly smaller than it's father.

Headz A collection of the best beats and instrumental hip hop the early nineties had to offer. James Lavelle (The man from U.N.K.L.E.) put together an eclectic mix melodies and beats some coming from hip hop others taking a dub or even ambient-techno approach. It took some time to get recognised, but it has set the standard. It's sequel Headz 2 (an eight vinyl issue) tried to do it again but is completely eclipsed by the now farely rare first part.

Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets A soundtrack to the most beautifull movie about tidalwaves, earthquakes etc. ever made. This is one of their many albums and it is hard to pick the best. This one was reviewed a 9.9 somewhere because the next one might even be better. Neurosis doesn't hit you in the face. Neurosis doesn't even hit at all. It smothers you in physical and psychological pain and you will love it.

Slint - Spiderland Another gutwrenching album. A very open and clean sound, sometimes even minimalist, but you can feel a hand churning your insides. Composed beauty!

Refused - Shape of Punk to Come Maybe the most pretentious album title ever. But is it punk, or is it post-punk? Jazz played in a such a way that you can slamdance to it? A thousand ideas per song, but still it has an open sound to it. Rock and roll for the very nervous and edgy!

Well for now I'll leave it to this. Have yet to think of my favourite jazz and techno albums.

buzziefunny

Audiophyte
ok, so, some of these may not be "off the beaten path" for alot of you, but then again it may...i tried to pick albums that always get good responses when i play them, and puzzled looks as well, as people try to figure out who or even what i might be treating them to. Alot of these are just, a pick one situation from an artist who i happen to love all the works of, so if you find anything you like here, be sure to check out other works by the same artists, here goes...

1.) The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld - Incredibly difficult to choose just a single Orb album, all of them are great, this is their first, and a landmark album for all electronic music. If you dig this, check out their other stuff as well, especially UFOrb, Orbus Terrarum, Orblivion, and Cydonia

2.) Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom All I can say about this is, it's absolutely sick. A classically trained pianist and ex-punk rocker team up to make the craziest, funkiest psy-trance in the world. Impossible to truly describe, just make sure you have good bass, and warm mids, this is a sonic experience not to be missed

3.) Hallucinogen - Twisted Well, the name says it all here. Trippy, twisted, and quite musical to boot. Simon Posford is a one man show under a quite appropriate moniker. This product is not reccommended for pregnant women, children under the age of 10, epileptics, or people prone to seizures

4.) Hooverphonic - Blue Wonder Power Milk follow up album to their New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular album, deviates a bit from the straightforward trip-hop roots of the aforementioned debut, w/a new singer to boot. The first step in the band's evolution of sound, as heard by listening to all of their albums

5.) Mandalay - Empathy/Instinct Ok, so its too albums, but, these guys are really really good...downtempo, trip-hop style beats and rhythms, with a strong sweeping symphonic effect added in, and hauntingly deep vocals, beautifully sung over it all

6.) Bjork - Vespertine - the calmer, happier, more mellow side of Bjork. Not as ecclectic and diverse musically as her previous albums, but still a fine sampling of this Icelander's amazing talent

7.) Thiervery Coorporation - The Mirror Conspiracy One of the best non-mix albums from the DC Duo. Plenty of samples, beats and loops, all nicely arranged, trip-hop fassion. a good "chill" album

8.)System 7 - Power of 7 System has covered the whole range of electronic "styles" over the years, and this album gives a good sort of, evolution of the music feel to it. With lots of production help from plenty of industry greats, this album definitely merits a listen

9.) Autechre - Amber umm, yah, so, it's in the name again...Autechre,a word made up by the band members to describe their music, is an asymmetrical, ambient/techno hodge-podge of gooey goodness...a bit, odd at times, it does grow on you...one of those, gotta listen to understand type of things...this is the most, umm, normal/sane of their albums i know, if you want to get way out there check out there other stuff

10.) Hybrid - Wide Angel Though Lee Mullins has left the group, these 2 DJ's really know how to throw down some beats, and make it sound nice too. This album was recorded with the Moscow Symphony Orchestra, lots of dirty nasty beats, and good vocals. Shows that dance/techno doesn't have to be w/out structure and merit

11.) Deepsky - In Silico Incredible production on this one, sounds recorded perfectly, songs mesh up beautifully, very melodic, harmonious, blah blah blah...oh, and it's also a very "fun" album to listen to, as well

12.) Way Out West - Don't Look Now the latest offering from the overseas production/dj Duo. Nick and Jody take it to new heights on this one, straying from their solid proggressive house/trance roots into a more vocalized album with a bit of varriance to it. It still has that same euphoria common to other W.o.W productions though

13.) Dr. Octagon - Instrumentalyst Kool Keith, DJ q-bert, and Dan the Automator make some of the wackiest electro/scratch rap on the market...Kool Keith's lyrics will have you going "hell yeah" and "what in the hell?" all at once

14.) Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante umm, in a word...jigajabahoogadoogavollabolladingagoolaphoofa!! definitely not what you'd expect from the ex-lead singer of Faith No More

15.) Children of the Bong - Sirrius Sounds listening to this as I type, another fun, trippy album, full of effects and basically, just playing with sounds, in an electro format and a dub format, and a combo of the two...radical bass on this one, crank it up and dub out

16.) the Buddha Bar Series vol 1-8 there may be more than this available now, 8 was the latest one i've heard. Named after the Paris night-lounge, the Buddha Bar, several different DJ's take you through a whole gambit of after hours, chill, downtempo, lounge music with a world wide sampling of music. Good stuff.

17.) Freaky Chakra - Low Down Motivator classic bay area tribal techno/trance, an interesting montage of drums, beats, rhythm and good old electronic sounds.

18.) Mickey Hart - Planet Drum ex-Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart gathers musicians, and their instruments from all over the world for full on drum circle goodness. Totally organic, lots of deep african vibes, and an overall feel-good album

19.) the Rolling Stones - Theirr Satanic Majesty's Request the stones get out here on this one, some good old kind of folksy hippy numbers blended with some of the most spacy, experimental sounds of the days...might be drug influenced, but if not, it will sound good if you are

20.) The Smashing Pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot a collection of b-sides from the first two albums worth of singles, relased as it's own album. Show's a wide range of the Pumpkins diversity, all very nice, some of my favorite tunes from on of my all-time favorite bands

well, this is only a few that come to mind out of my rather eclectic music collection, i think music lovers of all kinds can possibly find something they like here, or maybe even something they didn't think they would like beforehand...all in all, if i spread the word about some good music, i'll be happy :cool:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Some of the lastest posts are the only ones that I agree with, and I'm talking like 2 posts ago. The one with refused. Great Band. Great List.

All the music I listen to is underground. This means its not the greatest quality sometimes. I would rather listen to good music, then good quality lame been-done mainstream crap music. Mainstream these days just SUCKS!

Poison The Well - All of them. This is one of my fav's. Best combination of hard rock with good lyrics.

Thrice - All of them. Another statement band. Although their lastest album was dumbed down compared to their older stuff, still good.

Blood Brothers - Crimes. This is my favorite album right now. I love their sound and the vocals are simply amazing IMO.

Blood Brothers - Burn Piano Island Burn. Again, another statement album. This is better music then Crimes, but I like the sound of crimes. The lyrics are better.

AlexisOnFire - All of them. This band has become quite popular, but becasue people are turning onto their sound, not from selling out.

Atreyu - All of them. This band is under everyones radar. Some don't like them, but I really dig their sound.

My Chemical Romance - Three cheers for sweet revenge. This band is awesome. I love the sound, vocally and musically. Becoming very popular for their skill. Good to see.

SheepStar (PM if you want to hear some of their stuff)

Last edited:
sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
posford rocks

I saw Hallucinogen this summer at a Camp Bisco and he stole the show hands down. I am not really into that music but Posford is the man!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Got a few others to add.

System Of A Down - Mesmerize & Hypnotize - These 2 albums define System Of A Down's sound. Another member mentioned Mesmerize, but the knew ablum, which is not out yet, is better. They are much different in sound, but it's still System. I have it because of hook-ups.

Rage Against The Machine - All of them. I'm waiting for a special collectors edition to come out for this band. They defined the sound of Punk, Rock, and alternative for years after there break up. Great Band.

If I have others, I will add them to this post.

If you want to hear any of the music I have posted, PM me, especially for Systems new ablum. :)

SheepStar

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
20. Frampton Comes Alive
19. Southern Harmonies-Black Crowes
18 Ted Nugent 1st
17 Secret Treaties-Blue Oyster Cult
16 Royal Scam-Steely Dan
15 Lez Zeppelin I
14 Bridge of Sighs-Robin trower
13 Year of The Cat-Al stewart
12 Blonde on Blonde- Bob Dylan
11 Abbey Road-beatles
10 Machine Head-Deep Purple
9 Flat as a Pancake-Head East
8 Chicago V
7 Blood on the Tracks-Bob Dylan
6 Aqualung-Jethro Tull
5 Get your wings-Aeorosmith
4 Damn the Torpedoes-Tom Petty
3 Night Moves-Seger
2 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road-Elton John
1 The River- Springsteen

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
Alot of good music to research here:Thanks
Here is a few of mine:
Shpongle- Tales of the Inexspressable , this is again Simon Posford but with a scaled down tempo from his Hallucinogen works. With his Shpongle works you can sit down and relax without twitching all over.
Younger Brother- again Simon Posford, in between his Hallucinogen and Shpongle works.you'll twitch but still be able to sit.
Enthneogenic - Dialouge of The Speakers: much like Shpongle,very trippy The sonic layering is incredable.( I believe this one set at the top of Eouropean charts for weeks)
Ray Montford- Shed your Skin. Acoustical guitar at it grandest.Very prowerful and rythmic.
Jorn Renbourn-Travelers Prayer. A renound guitarist on acoustical. This time in medivel style.
Milladoir-Auga de Maio; Music from the north west coast of spain. I guess some Scotts settled there 100's of years back because the music is a wonderful mix of Morrish- Scottish and Latin mix.Not a bunch of different instruments forced into a melody. Very natural sounding.
Dead Can Dance-Aion :Mix of Midle Eastern Latin and Eouropean Folk.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis