2 speakers per l/r Chanel?

D

ddjr

Audioholic
My old NAD amp has 2 channels on the back for speaker hookup (left and right). The posts have banana clip holes and also screw down knobs, giving me the option to have 2 left speakers and 2 right. Is there any benefit to this? I'm using kestrel hotrods as my mains, and micca mb42x as the secondaries. I know it is using the same signal, am I halving the signal to the speakers? If so, is that a bad thing, as in, messing up the staging? It is easy enough to unhook the miccas, so no biggie to me. Thing is, my hearing isn't what it used to be and I'm concerned I'm not hearing high frequencies as well as I used to. This was an attempt to add more highs to the sound.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My old NAD amp has 2 channels on the back for speaker hookup (left and right). The posts have banana clip holes and also screw down knobs, giving me the option to have 2 left speakers and 2 right. Is there any benefit to this? I'm using kestrel hotrods as my mains, and micca mb42x as the secondaries. I know it is using the same signal, am I halving the signal to the speakers? If so, is that a bad thing, as in, messing up the staging? It is easy enough to unhook the miccas, so no biggie to me. Thing is, my hearing isn't what it used to be and I'm concerned I'm not hearing high frequencies as well as I used to. This was an attempt to add more highs to the sound.
You can do that if you want to destroy the amplifier. If you want to use two pairs of speakers, buy a speaker selector that maintains the correct impedance, but realize that it wastes power.

Those connections are called 'five way binding posts' because wire can be connected in five ways- banana plugs, bare wire inserted through the hole in the post, bare wire wrapped around the post, clamping a spade lug with the knob or a pin on the end, which is passed through the hole in the post, not to allow using any of these in combination with another. You would be better off using equalization.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Yikes! Ok, I'll unhook the smaller speakers. I didn't really hear a difference anyway. Thanks for the info

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yikes! Ok, I'll unhook the smaller speakers. I didn't really hear a difference anyway. Thanks for the info
If you want better highs start checking out different speakers. Adding more usually only smears the sound and pushes your amp harder than it likes.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I'm interested in mirage speakers. Thank you for the tip!

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
Mirage made great speakers but are no longer in business so if you do buy mirage make sure they are in good shape.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got a budget in mind? Any interest in new or modern speakers? Craigslist has turned up some great deals for speakers in my area. Patience and homework is the key there, but I've picked up 4 or 5 pairs of nice speakers for pennies on the dollar.

Yeah, I have issues... lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I seem to have the same issues
Admitting that to yourself and coming here is a good first step. If you can't stop yourself we can at least guide you into meaningful upgrades! :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Mesa, close to Phoenix. Every time I do a speaker search I get over 2,000 hits! A lot of those are unrelated tho, but when I refine the search there's still always over a thousand ads. That's where the time and patience comes in... I have a 25 page Craigslist find page here somewhere... here.

I've learned to really do the homework before even making an offer. It's so tempting to jump all over the first perceived great deal, but sometimes they're just not that great. The guys here give awesome advice. I'm so glad I started that thread because I learned A LOT about all the different speakers I've found.

It's fun, but I'm backing up on speakers and my wife might kill me if I buy any more. I got away with ordering a pair of Sierra Ribbon towers a couple weeks ago (the direct result of a Craigslist find, will be here Tuesday!:D) but I think that's the last straw before the last straw if ya know what I'm sayin'. I've been intentionally avoiding Craigslist since, lol.

*Edit: In the second image of the KEFs you can see one of the Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers I also found on Craigslist in the background. That slot is for the RAAL ribbon tweeter. They're amazing speakers and what made me want the towers!

Last edited:
D

ddjr

Audioholic
Wow, I read through the whole thing, eager to see everything you came up with! Definitely following that thread

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis