2 pb2000 or 1 fv15hp or 1 vtf 15h mk2 or 1 Monolith 15

A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
About to pull the trigger on one of these. The only subs I can afford a pair of are the pb2000. However I am interested in some of the mamoth 15" subs that I mentioned. Monolith 15 is on sale for $1150. I just cant make up my mind. I am in a medium sized room and am only concerned about a single main listening position.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Get a deep sea sub.....but to be had I bought both an sb3000 from SVS and a defiance x12 from paradigm. I am happy with both for different reasons.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
About to pull the trigger on one of these. The only subs I can afford a pair of are the pb2000. However I am interested in some of the mamoth 15" subs that I mentioned. Monolith 15 is on sale for $1150. I just cant make up my mind. I am in a medium sized room and am only concerned about a single main listening position.
Well. I am a fan of the fv15hp, and the mono is very compelling. My gut says that a pair of pb2k will be better overall but I’d have to look at the output numbers. I believe if you really only care about one seat, get the baddest mamajama you can. Put it where it performs the best and turn it up. However, there’s a LOT of evidence to support dual subs even for a single listing position. I usually advise getting the biggest you can afford now, and immediately start saving for a second one.
What are the actual measurements of the space? That will be helpful.
I might try and find some pb2k measurements later to add here.

A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
I actually just returned a pair of pb2000. Tried them for 45 days and was pretty happy with movies but felt like I could do better for music. Only reason I am considering buying another pair is because of the BF sale. I originally paid $1400 for two from the outlet and now can get 2 brand new for $1200.
Having said that, I do realize that I am unlikely to see an improvement in musicality moving to a single, larger sub. I have also considered getting 4x rsl speed woofers (because it seems like an interesting thing to try out).
My space is strange at the moment. About 18 ft across and 24 feet long and the back opens up to another room. Not ideal but I am moving in a few months so this space is temporary.
Subs will be run at 80hz with Polk LSi 9s and a Denon 5308 receiver powering them

A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
Rythmik is the most expensive option but still within my budget. Are they that good? Also, should I consider the less powerful version or is it worth it to get the hp?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Rythmik is the most expensive option but still within my budget. Are they that good? Also, should I consider the less powerful version or is it worth it to get the hp?
Imo. Yes. The HP.

This chart isn’t quite fair because the SVS listed is the pb12nsd. It’s not as good as the pb2000 but they’re closer than the SVS ultra. Even adding 6db to the NSD’s numbers which is what you might expect by adding another, so two NSD’s. The fv15hp has higher numbers everywhere. Much more so as you get to mid bass range. So you’d have more output plus nice tight bass. I think you’d like it. This is where I pulled the image from.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would go for the dual PB-2000s if you have freedom of placement that can take advantage of the room smoothing abilities of a multi-sub setup. It will give you a better response and thus a higher quality sound. You will still have lots of output. A single 15" will give you more output but a rougher frequency response.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Subwoofer musicality can be determined from the quantity of social media hype that a subwoofer receives.
More for the OP since that's why he returned them originally....

A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
You know what bud. The fact that you are literally on here 24/7 and comment on just about every single thread that anyone ever posts about anything has clearly turned you into a bit of a troll. I have seen countless threads of honest, well meaning people where you and certain others who also seem to live on this forum have absolutely nothing of substance to add aside from rude innuendos and snobby quips. You can refrain from ever contributing to anything I post from now on as you are extremely obnoxious. Seriously, get a new hobby.

A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
More for the OP since that's why he returned them originally....
I suppose the more accurate way of expressing what I wrote would be to say that the pb2000's sounded very nice for watching movies, but that I was unmoved by them when it came to listening to most music.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis