2 issues I need some advice on, thanks.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
I've read thru the previous 11 posts.

Extravagant is a nice way of saying it...overkill might be a good adjective to describe it. My advice...ditch one of the AVRs, there's nothing to gain having one for movies and another for 2 channel.

I assume the movie connection is multi-ch so you could connect all 4 towers and both subs and have a serious multi-channel music set up.
Maybe your right. The more I examine this situation, the more I start to lean towards selling the Yamaha A-S801.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So one LFE cable from the Onkyo to one RCA input of the splitter box, ( does it matter if the RCA input is is L or R?) One LFE cable from the Yamaha to the RCA input of the splitter box (does it matter if the RCA input is L or R?) Then, from the 2 RCA outputs marked L and R, one LFE out to one sub, and another LFE out to another sub. Correct? I hope I understood correctly.
I'd use a pair of cables from each the avr and the integrated amp so you can feed dual subs easily enough, since I doubt the switching box will sum them for you if you use only one input. I wouldn't call it an LFE cable....sub cable maybe, rca cable too.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
I'd use a pair of cables from each the avr and the integrated amp so you can feed dual subs easily enough, since I doubt the switching box will sum them for you if you use only one input. I wouldn't call it an LFE cable....sub cable maybe, rca cable too.
What cable do you suggest I use form the Yamaha to the switcher box? the Yamaha only has one sub out. Should I use a 1 male RCA to 2 male RCA? The switcher box only has 2 RCA outputs, so I if I am correct, 1 RCA to one sub, and 1 RCA to another sub?

J

JCanada

Audioholic
You could use 3 of these plus 4 subwoofer cables
One for your Yamaha because it needs 2 sub outs. Then 1 for each sub because you need 2 lfe inputs for 2 different sources. I wouldn’t play both receivers at the same time and there may be some difficulty calibrating the signal split Yamaha unless they are close together or you use a mini DSP. As unorthodox as it may be this will work.
Where do I connect the mini DSP?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What cable do you suggest I use form the Yamaha to the switcher box? the Yamaha only has one sub out. Should I use a 1 male RCA to 2 male RCA? The switcher box only has 2 RCA outputs, so I if I am correct, 1 RCA to one sub, and 1 RCA to another sub?
To me it would somewhat depend on the length involved. I have lots of short splitters and longer rca cables hanging around so I'd probably just use a splitter hanging off the back of the Yamaha and use rca cables I have to connect. You could also just use a longer cable with the splitter built in. Lots of choices. Yes, for the output just one rca to each sub.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have two double systems, one double stereo in one room, and 7.1.4+ stereo in the HT room so I know the fun you are having.

For the HT system, I have 5 subs in use but just 1 in the stereo only room so it is not as complicated as yours if you really want to use the subs for both systems. I think you are looking for trouble though, using those switch boxes, splitters etc will spoil all the fun..

Why not simply get another sub for the A-S801? Or if you don't have the space for the 3rd sub, then keep 1 of the 2 existing subs for the RZ820 and the other reassigned to the A-801.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Where do I connect the mini DSP?
From the Onkyo sub out to the ddrc-24 input 1 Then from the Yamaha sub out to the ddrc-24 input 2. Then output 1 to one sub then output 2 to the other sub. The ddrc-24 with umik you will then be able to dial them in with Dirac. The ddrc-24 is an upgrade over the mini dsp 2x4hd

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From the Onkyo sub out to the ddrc-24 input 1 Then from the Yamaha sub out to the ddrc-24 input 2. Then output 1 to one sub then output 2 to the other sub. The ddrc-24 with umik you will then be able to dial them in with Dirac. The ddrc-24 is an upgrade over the mini dsp 2x4hd
While I like the gear generally, how does it help in switching between two different systems particularly?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Move one system to another room or something. This is overly complex with no gains or advantages whatsoever.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
While I like the gear generally, how does it help in switching between two different systems particularly?
When the Yamaha is turned on won’t it send the lfe channel to input 1 of the ddrc and split it between the 4 outputs. Couldn’t you theoretically connect 4 subwoofers if you wanted. Then with the Yamaha off and the Onkyo on and the lfe Connected to input 2 couldn’t you have the 2 subs possibly 4 to the outputs of the ddrc play the signal from input 2 and all at the same time individually calibrate each subwoofer with Dirac.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Thank you. I’ve been wanting to say that for about 28 posts.
That is the rational answer. But it can work. If he wants to do that as peculiar as it may be we should answer the op’s question but also give him the orthodox way of doing it absolutely. Is there advantages, no but it’s not harmful either. As convoluted as it may be I enjoy the problem solving.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That is the rational answer. But it can work. If he wants to do that as peculiar as it may be we should answer the op’s question but also give him the orthodox way of doing it absolutely. Is there advantages, no but it’s not harmful either. As convoluted as it may be I enjoy the problem solving.
Agreed from an academic point. I’ve enjoyed watching the problem solving too, and I know this can work.
But on the other hand it feels wrong to me to encourage him. Like building a hurricane proof sandcastle. Lol

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just gotta say that If I moved into a studio apartment, I could totally see doing something like this (using gear I already have):
Bedroom - Canton Vento bookshelf speakers with dual Velodyne VMS-8 subwoofers (2.2 system).
Main room HT - JBL Studio 5 580 R&L, 520 C, and Canton 969 in-wall rear/surrounds with dual Outlaw X-13 subs (5.2)
Main room music - Philharmonic BMR with dual Rythmik E15HP

And then, I'd still have to find a friend interested in swapping out my Martin Logan Vistas and BMR's with me on a quarterly basis because I would not be willing to totally give up the e'stats! There are too many wonderful speakers which, while having a different sound signature, sound "equally" great.

It is interesting that this is more or less the conclusion that ADTG came to (about great speakers sounding equally great) when he had so many speakers and he decided to make his (2, 3, or 4?) systems all RBH, while I prefer the variety! Different strokes... :)

I should say that I would be happy with any of these if I was limited to only one system, but it is not my preference to be limited like that!

Edit - Some may be surprised that my Focal Twin6 Be or Solo6 Be are not mentioned here. Simply put, to my ear, they and the BMR sound too close to the same, so there is (to me) little benefit in keeping the Focals if I had to parse things down!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When the Yamaha is turned on won’t it send the lfe channel to input 1 of the ddrc and split it between the 4 outputs. Couldn’t you theoretically connect 4 subwoofers if you wanted. Then with the Yamaha off and the Onkyo on and the lfe Connected to input 2 couldn’t you have the 2 subs possibly 4 to the outputs of the ddrc play the signal from input 2 and all at the same time individually calibrate each subwoofer with Dirac.
First, I don't like the idea of two units hooked up to another relying on being turned on or off as needed, Murphy's law says that won't last long :). The minidsp is programmable to use just one input and 4 outputs if you want, or combinations of the two inputs and four outputs but there's no physical switching mechanism to use one input or the other; that's done in the programming of the unit and then normally you disconnect your computer from the minidsp after setup....maybe if you saved different configurations, kept the computer plugged in and made the change each time....not very practical.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
First, I don't like the idea of two units hooked up to another relying on being turned on or off as needed, Murphy's law says that won't last long :).
This occurred to me too. All the switching back and forth, powering stuff on and turning it off all the time gives you plenty more ways to "oops forgot" something and lose a piece (or 2) of equipment.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
First, I don't like the idea of two units hooked up to another relying on being turned on or off as needed, Murphy's law says that won't last long :). The minidsp is programmable to use just one input and 4 outputs if you want, or combinations of the two inputs and four outputs but there's no physical switching mechanism to use one input or the other; that's done in the programming of the unit and then normally you disconnect your computer from the minidsp after setup....maybe if you saved different configurations, kept the computer plugged in and made the change each time....not very practical.
As long as the subs are not moved it won’t matter which source amplifier he uses they are configured for location. Even if he wanted a different crossover point for each set of towers that could be done with in the amplifier itself. The mechanical switch is the power button on the Desired Avr. I hate when Murphy shows up but he does from time to time. If he had turned both units on and by chance played 2 different sources it wouldn’t break anything. When I want to watch a movie turn the Onkyo on. When I want to jam out turn the Yamaha on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As long as the subs are not moved it won’t matter which source amplifier he uses they are configured for location. Even if he wanted a different crossover point for each set of towers that could be done with in the amplifier itself. The mechanical switch is the power button on the Desired Avr. I hate when Murphy shows up but he does from time to time. If he had turned both units on and by chance played 2 different sources it wouldn’t break anything. When I want to watch a movie turn the Onkyo on. When I want to jam out turn the Yamaha on.
I don't know if anything would be damaged by having multiple units connected to the minidsp, nor would I care to try and find out, just not a good way to go IMO (but then neither is having two systems like this). Just seems a waste of a $400 unit not being used but as a switch that you can buy for $20. Not sure you can even program the mindsp to function properly with each input separately....would have to dive into settings. Are you using one of these ddrc units?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis