2 HSU over 1 Rythmik

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I would first check to see if the switch is in the correct position (which I am sure you already have - just being careful!):
1585234238149.png

If it is, I would then disconnect your speaker wires (I think that is what you are using - if not, the interconnects) and see if it does not go into standby. If they do stay on while everything is disconnected, yeah, shoot an email off to Dr. Hsu.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Red light is on. It's slightly warm. This is on Standby mode. Both of them are exactly the same. Maybe I should send HSU a message if this isn't normal.
I wouldn't worry about it.

You know, reading some of your replies it almost seems like you're looking for some kind of fault so you can justify getting rid of the HSU's and buy Rythmik...

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I wouldn't worry about it.

You know, reading some of your replies it almost seems like you're looking for some kind of fault so you can justify getting rid of the HSU's and buy Rythmik...
Nope!!!!!..... It's a pain moving these up and down stairs and packing them. Not gonna happen unless they require some sort of repairs. I am not going back to a single sub. Have already noticed a big difference using duals.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nope!!!!!..... It's a pain moving these up and down stairs and packing them. Not gonna happen unless they require some sort of repairs. I am not going back to a single sub. Have already noticed a big difference using duals.
Well that's good to hear then! I'm glad you're noticing some positives as well. I was beginning to think you were well on your way to talking yourself out of the HSU's!

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Well that's good to hear then! I'm glad you're noticing some positives as well. I was beginning to think you were well on your way to talking yourself out of the HSU's!
I don't think there is any better deal out there for dual subs. These have a massive amount of power. Still dialing them in. LAST NIGHT I ran them in EQ2 with Q set to 0.7. Seemed pretty dam good to me this way.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think there is any better deal out there for dual subs. These have a massive amount of power. Still dialing them in. LAST NIGHT I ran them in EQ2 with Q set to 0.7. Seemed pretty dam good to me this way.
That's where I have mine set too! I like the little bump in headroom.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
HSU replied. No need to worry. They said.......
That is perfectly normal. All circuits are active even in standby or off mode.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I hope I find a job someday I’m going to save for a Black Friday special on one of these top brands . But I cannot get any more subs til I move out . Haha
Svs , hsu , monolith , various diy brands .
Why is rhythmic so overpriced is it that good for music ?
Why do pro audio subs exist if there just a woofer?
There not a sub sonic woofer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
That's where I have mine set too! I like the little bump in headroom.
Two subs feels like more then +3 festivals the difference between sealed important is +3 dB on most subs.
Do they have conventions or something to compare these brands how could you know that you have the right brand that you like and there’s like 20 other friends competing and you haven’t heard any other subs?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Two subs feels like more then +3 festivals the difference between sealed important is +3 dB on most subs.
Do they have conventions or something to compare these brands how could you know that you have the right brand that you like and there’s like 20 other friends competing and you haven’t heard any other subs?

The good news is that subwoofers, when operating in linear range, sound alike. It doesn't matter whether its a $200 BIC or a $20,000 Wilson Audio sub. The way with which its interacting with the air is the same. Most manufacturers will disagree with me, as it goes against their sales pitch, but subs are relatively simple acoustic devices as compared to full or wide-range loudspeakers. Brands don't matter, only linear and non-linear distortion matters. This is the next big audio myth that needs to die, and so many people, even those who pride themselves on being 'objective' in audio, still cling on to it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The good news is that subwoofers, when operating in linear range, sound alike. It doesn't matter whether its a $200 BIC or a $20,000 Wilson Audio sub. The way with which its interacting with the air is the same. Most manufacturers will disagree with me, as it goes against their sales pitch, but subs are relatively simple acoustic devices as compared to full or wide-range loudspeakers. Brands don't matter, only linear and non-linear distortion matters. This is the next big audio myth that needs to die, and so many people, even those who pride themselves on being 'objective' in audio, still cling on to it.
Not sure if you’re messing with NOOB or not. I can tell you that the 8” Yamaha sub that my daughter uses doesn’t sound anything like my SVS do. And the 505 I have mixed with them is also “different”. That’s why I only run it between 30hz and about 60hz. All the other subs in my house and boat have different characteristics too.
Maybe I’m just clingy?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Not sure if you’re messing with NOOB or not. I can tell you that the 8” Yamaha sub that my daughter uses doesn’t sound anything like my SVS do. And the 505 I have mixed with them is also “different”. That’s why I only run it between 30hz and about 60hz. All the other subs in my house and boat have different characteristics too.
Maybe I’m just clingy?
The question is are they running in linear operation? They might not be capable of linear performance at any drive level. Also, room acoustics affect performance so much that subs are very difficult to compare in-room, even if you run an A/B comparison. The sound of budget subs will vary a lot more than higher-end subs, because the trade-offs made in performance are a lot more likely to be audible than when you have the sufficient design and manufacturing budget to address these facets of performance.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The question is are they running in linear operation? They might not be capable of linear performance at any drive level. Also, room acoustics affect performance so much that subs are very difficult to compare in-room, even if you run an A/B comparison. The sound of budget subs will vary a lot more than higher-end subs, because the trade-offs made in performance are a lot more likely to be audible than when you have the sufficient design and manufacturing budget to address these facets of performance.
Fair points. By “running linear” I mean within the limits of each subwoofer. I agree with the trade offs point, as many cheaper subs will have a bump in the FR to sound more powerful or whatever, but they can still be running without distortion. Now you could say that the native FR of a sub isn’t linear so that could qualify as distortion. But they’ll still have different characteristics imo.
The same way JTR subs have a thickness or richness that’s just a little different. Definitely different than a BIC PL200.
The reason I mentioned anything was when you said a pl200 would sound like a Wilson(or insert whichever you like) I was like whaa? He be messin wit da noooob. No?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Fair points. By “running linear” I mean within the limits of each subwoofer. I agree with the trade offs point, as many cheaper subs will have a bump in the FR to sound more powerful or whatever, but they can still be running without distortion. Now you could say that the native FR of a sub isn’t linear so that could qualify as distortion. But they’ll still have different characteristics imo.
The same way JTR subs have a thickness or richness that’s just a little different. Definitely different than a BIC PL200.
The reason I mentioned anything was when you said a pl200 would sound like a Wilson(or insert whichever you like) I was like whaa? He be messin wit da noooob. No?
I think the issue is comparing them as if they are speakers operating above schroeder to an extent. If you were to be able to isolate them I think much of the differences could disappear other than the deficiencies of a given sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think the issue is comparing them as if they are speakers operating above schroeder to an extent. If you were to be able to isolate them I think much of the differences could disappear other than the deficiencies of a given sub.
Also fair points. I just thought shady was painting with a broad brush. Then again he quoted noob so I get it now. Lol. Sorry James...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also fair points. I just thought shady was painting with a broad brush. Then again he quoted noob so I get it now. Lol. Sorry James...
Just mirrors the information I've gleaned from reading up on subs over the years, as well as somewhat personal experience in using various subs in various setups/rooms...plus our general way of perception of frequencies that low....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis