2 10" subs v 1 12" sub

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Talking about Pioneer(mine VSX 822) manual mcacc why can I manually set the speaker volume? I don't see an option on mine. My Onkyo I had and Integra let's me do it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I ended up going with the Klipsch 12". It's plenty for what we need. I've been doing some db testing and while watching movies we get around 100. During heavy bass scenes it gets around 105-110. The sub is rated for 116 max SPL. My reciever sub trim is set to 0 and the gain is set to 1/4 on the plate amp. Can I turn it up more to get more output or would that be to much.
Also, the cone and plate amp don't get warm at all at it's current setting.
I'd use the avr to raise the sub trim level (easier to put back if you don't like the boost), may not be much left in the tank the higher you crank the master volume, tho.

Don't know why the cone particularly would get warm, but the plate amp staying cool sounds good.

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
I'd use the avr to raise the sub trim level (easier to put back if you don't like the boost), may not be much left in the tank the higher you crank the master volume, tho.

Don't know why the cone particularly would get warm, but the plate amp staying cool sounds good.
I've had subwoofers in my car as a teenager and the cone would get warm with extended use. Didn't know if that would apply to home theater subwoofers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've had subwoofers in my car as a teenager and the cone would get warm with extended use. Didn't know if that would apply to home theater subwoofers.
Cars may have sun to help? Sure there's some heat generated in a box and by the motor, but doubt it's so much as to warm the cone normally. Probably if the amp is in the same box that might help, tho, if run with significant content at high spl for a long time....never really thought of a warm cone before you mentioned it, certainly never felt any of my subs doing such.

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern

How is SPL determined? Is the max SPL rating the most the subwoofer can output or is it the maximum sound before damage occurs to the driver?

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
Talking about Pioneer(mine VSX 822) manual mcacc why can I manually set the speaker volume? I don't see an option on mine. My Onkyo I had and Integra let's me do it.
For my avr, I push the home button on my remote. Then go to SP SETUP, then CH LEVEL. Hope that helps.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
I have 1 polk audio psw10 and am looking at getting a second one. Either that or replace the subwoofer with a Klipsch 12" 400 Watts Wireless Subwoofer. Would the 2 10s sound better then the 1 12? I know the 2 10s would not be able to hit as low as the 1 12.
I have been working this very issue out for a few months. I’ve two RBH 10” passive subs vs a RBH 12” passive in my bedroom 5.1. It’s also my main 2 channel listening.
My 12” is corner placed due to size. (I’ve kicked the sob barefoot in the dark). Really powerful and deep. I get far better sound, more balanced using my two 10” subs 10’ apart. I’ve found the same quality when I went twin subs in my main theater. I do have to tweak one of the subs phasing just a bit (Thanks to John at RBH) for the best pairing.
Best of luck. If it all worked perfectly we’d have no fun at all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How is SPL determined? Is the max SPL rating the most the subwoofer can output or is it the maximum sound before damage occurs to the driver?
Klipsch defines the spec how? Hard to know....but suspect its some of both. Look for a third party test would be one way to dig into actual performance.

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
I have been working this very issue out for a few months. I’ve two RBH 10” passive subs vs a RBH 12” passive in my bedroom 5.1. It’s also my main 2 channel listening.
My 12” is corner placed due to size. (I’ve kicked the sob barefoot in the dark). Really powerful and deep. I get far better sound, more balanced using my two 10” subs 10’ apart. I’ve found the same quality when I went twin subs in my main theater. I do have to tweak one of the subs phasing just a bit (Thanks to John at RBH) for the best pairing.
Best of luck. If it all worked perfectly we’d have no fun at all.
I couldn't agree more. It's the trail and error that makes it fun. I ended up getting the Klipsch 12-RSWI. It is in the rear corner and my 10" Polk is in the front corner opposite corner. The Klipsch sounds great and hits so hard the cups in the kitchen upstairs vibrate.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
I couldn't agree more. It's the trail and error that makes it fun. I ended up getting the Klipsch 12-RSWI. It is in the rear corner and my 10" Polk is in the front corner opposite corner. The Klipsch sounds great and hits so hard the cups in the kitchen upstairs vibrate.
That made me cry. Possible Damage to your home.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
These last couple of messages remind me of when I built my sub. I was in an E&M class that semester and there was a group project that the teacher mentioned the first day of class and then never mentioned again until 2 weeks before class was done. One of my friends and I just made a presentation on the sub, along with a video running some frequency sweeps with a bucket of water on the sub to see the different patterns from different frequencies. We both giggled when we found the resonant frequency of the windows in the house.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not a structural engineer by any means. At what point would damage occur to the structure of a house?
You're good unless it's the first house the wolf came to.

There are a few subs out there that literally can do damage, those hit insane spl and very low.

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
You're good unless it's the first house the wolf came to.

There are a few subs out there that literally can do damage, those hit insane spl and very low.
LOL! Sounds good. This is my first house and first time with a nice sound system. I know very little about either at this point in life.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't worry about structural damage from the Klipsch, that comment about structural damage is more hyperbole than anything. Cory likes "colorful" language to describe audio/gear.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
That made me cry. Possible Damage to your home.
As to damage, I upgraded my twin subs to all reference drivers, that easily reach 18hz with incredible authority. I’ve got four picture frames gone, multiple cute things decorating a kitchen shelf, a ceiling section came down in my hallway, but to be fair , there had been water damage, two cats that now make high speed passes through the audio room, not sure trauma counts, bathroom cabinet that dumped several valuable items into the toilet, and a roofing crew that were so freaked out the foreman came down to see what the hell was going on. He claimed the entire roof was shaking violently (courtesy of U571). To be fair, the roof is about the right distance for the 18 hz wave to be fully developed..I’ve been in my garage watching little dust waterfalls start everywhere with every big peak. Also 60 or so feet from epicenter. All of my damage took place upstairs in my rambler. My subs are in the basement. I cross my heart and hope to die.

t

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis