2 10" subs v 1 12" sub

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Surface Area of circle = 3.14 x radius x radius
12" Driver = 3.14 x 6" x 6" = 113 sq. in.
10" Driver = 3.14 x 5 x 5 = 78.5 x 2 subs = 157 sq. in.

So in terms of Surface Areas, dual 10" has more SA than a single 12".

But it also depends on total VOLUME of the woofer cabinets, Driver Material, and Amp Power.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Surface Area of circle = 3.14 x radius x radius
12" Driver = 3.14 x 6" x 6" = 113 sq. in.
10" Driver = 3.14 x 5 x 5 = 78.5 x 2 subs = 157 sq. in.

So in terms of Surface Areas, dual 10" has more SA than a single 12".

But it also depends on total VOLUME of the woofer cabinets, Driver Material, and Amp Power.
Except drivers are cones, not circles.....so a little more math needed for surface area (or Sd in T/S parameters) plus the surround needs to be accounted for. Not all cones are equal based on diameter either. But, still, 2 x 10" is pushing more air. :)

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
So are you now going to run MCACC? How about maxing out the low pass filter setting on your sub?
I called Pioneer and they said the MCACC is for people who can't figure out how to manually setup there speakers. We are content with our current speaker setup. What would maxing the low pass filter do? Make the sub louder?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I called Pioneer and they said the MCACC is for people who can't figure out how to manually setup there speakers. We are content with our current speaker setup. What would maxing the low pass filter do? Make the sub louder?
LOL what a ridiculous response from Pioneer....but then the people many audio companies put on phone customer service are fairly useless. It seems you do not know how to setup your system so MCACC would be an easy way to do it. What MCACC can help you do is set levels and delays....how are you doing that for yourself now without MCACC? I did forget you don't have the mic, tho.....

The low pass is being handled by the crossover in the avr, no need to add that on the sub....

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
LOL what a ridiculous response from Pioneer....but then the people many audio companies put on phone customer service are fairly useless. It seems you do not know how to setup your system so MCACC would be an easy way to do it. What MCACC can help you do is set levels and delays....how are you doing that for yourself now without MCACC? I did forget you don't have the mic, tho.....

The low pass is being handled by the crossover in the avr, no need to add that on the sub....

I would assume the delays and levels are all set to zero with the MCACC. Like I said previous, I did a factory reset on the reciever and did what I could with speaker distance. You are correct, I don't know what I'm doing but I'm trying to learn.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Start fresh and get your levels, phase etc. set. Make sure to set all speakers to small after the initial running of MCACC.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You said you reset the avr, so that would be what sets delays and levels to zero. Distance is delay (and for subs can be different than actual distance). Levels are to adjust for the distance between you and speaker to an extent as well as speaker sensitivity, so 0 is unlikely the best setting.

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
You said you reset the avr, so that would be what sets delays and levels to zero. Distance is delay (and for subs can be different than actual distance). Levels are to adjust for the distance between you and speaker to an extent as well as speaker sensitivity, so 0 is unlikely the best setting.

I see. After I did a factory reset on the reciever I measured the distance from my seating area to each speaker and entered that into the reciever.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see. After I did a factory reset on the reciever I measured the distance from my seating area to each speaker and entered that into the reciever.
Okay, now use an spl meter (even an app for your phone if you don't have one) and set the levels using the receiver's test tones....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You might find adding a foot or 2 to your sub distance can improve things. Audyssey always adds a foot or 2 to my subs. I've played around with my distances and it does seem sound about best there.

That's in my room and all rooms are different, but it's not unusual for req software to add some distance. Just giving you some food for thought if you think you're missing snything.

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
You might find adding a foot or 2 to your sub distance can improve things. Audyssey always adds a foot or 2 to my subs. I've played around with my distances and it does seem sound about best there.

That's in my room and all rooms are different, but it's not unusual for req software to add some distance. Just giving you some food for thought if you think you're missing snything.
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to try that out.

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
Okay, now use an spl meter (even an app for your phone if you don't have one) and set the levels using the receiver's test tones....
My father in law has a Sony Mic for auto calibrations. Could I use that on my Pioneer reciever?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it due the sensitivity that each mic has? Or, because each mic is calibrated for a specific unit model?
I don't have those answers but maybe you can answer a question I have.

When you plug a Sony mic into a Panasonic rec'r, does anything stop working forever?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My father in law has a Sony Mic for auto calibrations. Could I use that on my Pioneer reciever?
Yeah, not likely a suitable match, I'd prefer a phone app. Curious, what happened to the Pioneer mic the unit came with?

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, not likely a suitable match, I'd prefer a phone app. Curious, what happened to the Pioneer mic the unit came with?
I bought the reciever used for cheap. The guy I bought it from had lost it at some point.

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
I ended up going with the Klipsch 12". It's plenty for what we need. I've been doing some db testing and while watching movies we get around 100. During heavy bass scenes it gets around 105-110. The sub is rated for 116 max SPL. My reciever sub trim is set to 0 and the gain is set to 1/4 on the plate amp. Can I turn it up more to get more output or would that be to much.

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
I ended up going with the Klipsch 12". It's plenty for what we need. I've been doing some db testing and while watching movies we get around 100. During heavy bass scenes it gets around 105-110. The sub is rated for 116 max SPL. My reciever sub trim is set to 0 and the gain is set to 1/4 on the plate amp. Can I turn it up more to get more output or would that be to much.
Also, the cone and plate amp don't get warm at all at it's current setting.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis