2.1 “computer” speakers Suggestions

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, so found some great info in that other thread.

JBL 305 MKII x2 - $109 (great price and reviews are positive)
RSL Speedwoofer 10S - 40-200 crossover OR Klipsch R-120SW

I have the Klipsch synergy sub-12 as part of my living room and am in Looooove with those especially since I got them for $300 from a BestBuy sale maybe 10 years ago? Still going strong now.

Thoughts on this mix of speakers?
That should be a damned fine pc setup. That's a capable sub (*edit- the RSL Speedwoofer) and I think those speakers have decent enough bass they'll hold you over til you get the sub. I always hear good things about JBL's powered monitors too.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I run the 305's and the 310S on my rig. Sounds awesome!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
I run the 305's and the 310S on my rig. Sounds awesome!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

That should be a damned fine pc setup. That's a capable sub (*edit- the RSL Speedwoofer) and I think those speakers have decent enough bass they'll hold you over til you get the sub. I always hear good things about JBL's powered monitors too.
You and others are loving this RSL. Definitely going with that one.
Also, JBL's here I come :)

Thanks guys!

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys,

I realized something here that I did not ask. With the combination of the JBL / RSL 10S woofer...I don't have enough outputs on my Audio device.

Here is how I currently will have the JBL's set up:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Line output (x2)
My Motherboard has a sub output - I have 1/8 to RCA (waiting for subwoofer to arrive next week)

From some research I have done it is possible to send outputs to both pieces of hardware. Is this how I should set this up or is there another way that I should consider?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey guys,

I realized something here that I did not ask. With the combination of the JBL / RSL 10S woofer...I don't have enough outputs on my Audio device.

Here is how I currently will have the JBL's set up:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Line output (x2)
My Motherboard has a sub output - I have 1/8 to RCA (waiting for subwoofer to arrive next week)

From some research I have done it is possible to send outputs to both pieces of hardware. Is this how I should set this up or is there another way that I should consider?
There is no way for you to use both the motherboard output and Focusrite outputs at the same time that I know of, at least with conventional operating systems. What you will have to do is use Y-splitters on both left and right outputs on the Focusright, and send the split signal to the left and right inputs on the Speedwoofer.

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
There is no way for you to use both the motherboard output and Focusrite outputs at the same time that I know of, at least with conventional operating systems. What you will have to do is use Y-splitters on both left and right outputs on the Focusright, and send the split signal to the left and right inputs on the Speedwoofer.
Ah okay. So I will look for:
1 > 2 TRS 1/4 splitter (2)
Dual 1/4 TRS to 1/8th (3.5mm) (1)
I already have an audio quest 3.5mm > RCA

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ah okay. So I will look for:
1 > 2 TRS 1/4 splitter (2)
Dual 1/4 TRS to 1/8th (3.5mm) (1)
I already have an audio quest 3.5mm > RCA
You have the splitters right, but after that what you need is dual TRS to RCA, not TRS to 3.5mm.

And don't buy Audioquest cables unless you just like to burn money.

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
You have the splitters right, but after that what you need is dual TRS to RCA, not TRS to 3.5mm.

And don't buy Audioquest cables unless you just like to burn money.
I already owned the cable but will 100% keep that in mind. Hosa it is :)
Thanks for your help

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
Alright: reporting back.

Had the JBL 305 and the RSL 10S delivered yesterday.

First impressions are that the JBL's are very good quality for the price. The 10s....that's a s**t ton of bass for my workstation. I really enjoy the pairing of these. Once I flipped the HPFbass roll off JBL Boundary HF Trim on the JBL's and matched the sub (just a bit higher) they blend very well together.

EDIT: I removed the trim and will use their full range for now. I misunderstood the HF Trim.

I will continue to live with these and share my thoughts later when I have all of the cables delivered (running the sub output from headphone jack currently).

I also notice that the JBL's get loud without much effort. They get loud without distorting or changing the sound.

Anyhow, a HUGE thank you to all of you that shared your thoughts and recommendations. I am very pleased with these speakers so far.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

First impressions are that the JBL's are very good quality for the price. The 10s....that's a s**t ton of bass for my workstation. I really enjoy the pairing of these. Once I flipped the HPF on the JBL's and matched the sub (just a bit higher) they blend very well together. I will continue to live with these and share my thoughts later when I have all of the cables delivered (running the sub output from headphone jack currently).

I also notice that the JBL's get loud without much effort. They get loud without distorting or changing the sound.

Anyhow, a HUGE thank you to all of you that shared your thoughts and recommendations. I am very pleased with these speakers so far.
HPF on the JBLs?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

First impressions are that the JBL's are very good quality for the price. The 10s....that's a s**t ton of bass for my workstation. I really enjoy the pairing of these. Once I flipped the HPF on the JBL's and matched the sub (just a bit higher) they blend very well together. I will continue to live with these and share my thoughts later when I have all of the cables delivered (running the sub output from headphone jack currently).

Aw, shucks. Just doin' what we do! We love it when folks report back to let us know, so thanks for the update. Super happy you're enjoying them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the Klipsch synergy sub-12 as part of my living room and am in Looooove with those especially since I got them for $300 from a BestBuy sale maybe 10 years ago? Still going strong now. I am leaning Klipsch.
The 10s....that's a s**t ton of bass for my workstation.
I wouldn't be surprised if the RSL is the better of those 2 subs. Just for shits n giggles I'd swap them and see how it performs in your main system compared to the Klipsch.

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
I wouldn't be surprised if the RSL is the better of those 2 subs. Just for shits n giggles I'd swap them and see how it performs in your main system compared to the Klipsch.
Oooh good idea. I will give that a shot.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's official name is "Boundary EQ HF Trim" but functions the same as an HPF
I have first gen 305s and it doesn't have that feature....but I wouldn't call that an HPF particularly....

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
I have first gen 305s and it doesn't have that feature....but I wouldn't call that an HPF particularly....
Thats fair. The roll off some of the lower frequency down to a certain point. So maybe more of a roll off than HPF.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Thats fair. The roll off some of the lower frequency down to a certain point. So maybe more of a roll off than HPF.
It's my understanding that it is a feature that lets you trim the bass to negate the effects of boundary gain, and not an actual high pass filter.

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
It's my understanding that it is a feature that lets you trim the bass to negate the effects of boundary gain, and not an actual high pass filter.
I read this (had to look up what the boundary gain was). So it's not that it is dipping the frequencies all together (like an HPF would) but dipping frequencies at certain times? I noticed that the bass was lessened when this was engaged (along with looking at the EQ on the back) which is why I referred to it as an HPF.

But it seems that I am indeed confused.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, just tames down the bass response to compensate for any boundary gain, if it's even an issue to begin with.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis