2.1 “computer” speakers Suggestions

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
Hey all,

Simple request, looking for a 2.1 system for my computer To use for reference / video editing...and more importantly, music.

I have been away from audio for quite some time now due to a change in career and life.
Do you have any suggestions? I would love to see something sub $500. Thanks in advance

Hagos

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I’m a huge fan of anything from Audioengine. Might have to squeeze to get in the sub $500 realm if you’re set on a sub, but maybe start with a 2 ch system and add a sub later

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Audioengine is solid, but not their sub. I’ve first hand experience with the A2+, and do not recommend that, rather the A5+.
Avoid Edifier. People seem to like them, but their specs are dodgy at best.
Beyond that, I would look more seriously at getting Powered Monitors like the JBL 305P Mk2 or Rokit 5 G4, and pair a sub with them. For a decent inexpensive sub, look at the Dayton Audio Sub 1200.
These latter options will get you much closer to a higher quality sound.

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
I’m a huge fan of anything from Audioengine. Might have to squeeze to get in the sub $500 realm if you’re set on a sub, but maybe start with a 2 ch system and add a sub later
I can get behind this. Thank you. I will snag the tops for now and wait on the sub.

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
Audioengine is solid, but not their sub. I’ve first hand experience with the A2+, and do not recommend that, rather the A5+.
Avoid Edifier. People seem to like them, but their specs are dodgy at best.
Beyond that, I would look more seriously at getting Powered Monitors like the JBL 305P Mk2 or Rokit 5 G4, and pair a sub with them. For a decent inexpensive sub, look at the Dayton Audio Sub 1200.
These latter options will get you much closer to a higher quality sound.
The powered monitors would work best for my desk as I don't have much more room on my desk haha. Will look into the JBL's and Rokits. Thanks

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
Thoughts on the A2 vs A5?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The A2+ has no low end whatsoever. It sounds ok up high, but Percussion and Bass are muddy and nonexistent.

Here's the thread where I pondered the same question:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is a very pertinent quote (post 12 from that thread) that should be emphasized. Wayne is a very solid and respected contributor and this was spot on:
I’d pass on the A2. I helped my nephew set up a pair of those with a sub a few years ago, and the measurements I took showed that the lows roll out really high, something like 200 Hz, if not higher (don’t recall the exact figure). The sub we had wouldn’t even go up that high for a proper blend. IMO the A5 is what you want.
This ended up matching my experience exactly. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think this system is a really good deal. Good speakers and the sub should augment the bass very well. It doesn't eat of a lot of desktop space. The only caveat is that it won't get really loud, but if you aren't going to be head-banging, they will get loud enough for a desktop system for sure.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think this system is a really good deal. Good speakers and the sub should augment the bass very well. It doesn't eat of a lot of desktop space. The only caveat is that it won't get really loud, but if you aren't going to be head-banging, they will get loud enough for a desktop system for sure.
Groovy find! :)

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
That excellent. I don't have much space and the A5's will be perfect for that. I will get the sub at a later time to offset the wife noticing another box coming to the house

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That excellent. I don't have much space and the A5's will be perfect for that. I will get the sub at a later time to offset the wife noticing another box coming to the house
That system wouldn't work with A5s. The A5s are powered speakers, that is a passive speaker system powered by an outboard amp.

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
That system wouldn't work with A5s. The A5s are powered speakers, that is a passive speaker system powered by an outboard amp.
Oh sorry, I totally confused the one you sent with the A5's. These appear to have 4 inch woofers compare to the 5 of the A5. I will compare the two systems.

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
This is a very pertinent quote (post 12 from that thread) that should be emphasized. Wayne is a very solid and respected contributor and this was spot on:

This ended up matching my experience exactly. :)
I checked that thread and clearly missed a massive sale on those JBL's at $89 per?? They are 20 -30 past that now. I am continuing to read down that thread as there is a ton of good info.

Thanks!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just looked at a zzounds ad for 305 gen 2 for $109 each. The 310S is $299 there. I did get my gen 1 305s for $90 each, didn't need the sub.

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
Okay, so found some great info in that other thread.

JBL 305 MKII x2 - $109 (great price and reviews are positive)
RSL Speedwoofer 10S - 40-200 crossover OR Klipsch R-120SW OR AE S8 250

I have the Klipsch synergy sub-12 as part of my living room and am in Looooove with those especially since I got them for $300 from a BestBuy sale maybe 10 years ago? Still going strong now. I am leaning Klipsch.

Thoughts on this mix of speakers?

Last edited:
H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
I just looked at a zzounds ad for 305 gen 2 for $109 each. The 310S is $299 there. I did get my gen 1 305s for $90 each, didn't need the sub.
Thats awesome. I agree that while I don't need a sub I certainly do want one which is why I am totally fine with getting the 2 speakers up front and the woofer at a later date.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Dayton bundle looks pretty cool, but appears to be out of stock atm.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis