2.1 “computer” speakers Suggestions

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's my understanding that it is a feature that lets you trim the bass to negate the effects of boundary gain, and not an actual high pass filter.
This!
The Rokit g4s do something similar but with a programmed DSP, IIRC.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This makes more sense.

Awesome. Thanks again.
You guys seriously rock.
Very glad to hear that these are working out for you! I was leaning more heavily toward the Rokits and their front ported design.
Also great to know that the Speedwoofer is working well in the setup. I wasn't sure when I was shopping, and that was one of the reasons I chose to stick with a lowly THX 2.1. (Especially since it's only for You Tube and such.Any music goes through my main rig!)

:D

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
Very glad to hear that these are working out for you! I was leaning more heavily toward the Rokits and their front ported design.
Also great to know that the Speedwoofer is working well in the setup. I wasn't sure when I was shopping, and that was one of the reasons I chose to stick with a lowly THX 2.1. (Especially since it's only for You Tube and such.Any music goes through my main rig!)

:D
Man, that speedwoofer is just gross. I have been playing more and more music through it over the past week and it's quite musical. Playing all the notes and playing notes audibly below 50. The kids have basically taken ownership of the living room where my main setup stands so I am stuck in my office where i must make do haha.

Can you share a bit of why you prefer front vs rear ported?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Can you share a bit of why you prefer front vs rear ported?
It’s not an overall preference. But for the speakers at my computer, they are in a very sub-optimal position. The front ported option would just eliminate some of the pains of setup in that case.
In general, a fairly minor detail.
There were other things I liked about the G4 Rokits: the DSP options, the looks... regardless, the cost of that pursuit for such negligible needs far outweighed the need itself.
Since you read my thread, I basically went with the Klipsch version of the Logitech I used before. The “THX” systems, for non-critical listening, are frankly very satisfying for their cost. The Klipsch does have a little more directionality to it than the Logitech, and if I step back about 3’, they sound nice. The Logitech was much more forgiving.
Do I notice any other SQ characteristics? Not really. But again, that wasn’t my goal.
:)

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
Hey all,

So I have some follow up questions after finally getting all of the cables in house.
How I have everything setup:
PC > Scarlett Solo interface (USB)
Scarlett > 1/4 TRS Y Cable (L+R)
TRS1 1/4 (L+R) to JBL 305's
TRS2 1/4 (L+R) to sub input (RCA L+R)

The output to the subwoofer is nonexistent when using 1/4 TRS to RCA. I have the sub at maximum volume and it is barely noticeable.

To test I also used:
1. TR (L+R) to RCA - signal significantly improved
This gave much better signal but introduces digital noise. I assume because balanced to unbalanced

2. TRS 1/4 to RCA from headphone jack which doubles as a direct monitor out - signal significantly improved as well and is clean

Option #2 is not a bad one would just like to see if I am doing anything wrong as if I am wearing my headphones I can unplug if necessary.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
To test I also used:
1. TR (L+R) to RCA - signal significantly improved
This gave much better signal but introduces digital noise. I assume because balanced to unbalanced
Do you hear this noise? Or are you just concerned that theoretically there may be more noise?
What do you mean by digital noise?
Balanced connections were developed primarily for pro-audio where you are running cords 50'-100' across stages and never know what sources of interference/noise may be present at different venues. Obviously any band going on tour would quickly get tired of having to chase down noise issues!
If I had audible interference at my desktop, I would want to at least make the effort to find/remove the source of the noise before deciding to work around it. If these cables are picking it up, it is probably a good bet thatit is effecting something else as well!
Are you running these cords adjacent to speaker or power cables (like zip-tied together)? That could also do it.
Inside of PC is notorious for noise, but the computer case should contain it.
Also, just to cover all bets, this isn't 60Hz hum is it?

But congrats on a nice system! I'm not sure you can specify it as a desktop system! It does a great job in that capacity, but I talked a friend into getting a system almost identical to your (different subwoofer) instead of a sound bar in her living room! She loves it! Just a FYI, she especially loved it when I explained to her that it is almost impossible to blow up these speakers! Her boyfriend and her like to throw parties where much beer is drunk and the volume knob often gets abused. One advantage of a mass produced monitor like this is the amp is designed/selected for the exact driver it will power which allows use of a limiter at the point where the speaker might be blown or where the load from the speaker would put the amp into clipping. It might not completely eliminate concern over damage from a "determined" idiot, but it is reasonably idiot-proof assuming "casual" idiots!

A wholly decent system by any measure; but for the price, this is makes for a killer system!

Last edited:
H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
So it isn't a ground hum. Its definitely interference that I am hearing. when I say digital noise its something that is that sounds like beeps and boops / electronic in its nature in the 2k range of frequencies. To clarify the only time I hear this noise is when I plug in a TR cable to the TRS splitter. If I plug in TRS > TRS I have no noise issues.

I run audio / power cables separately.

Thanks and yeah, I agree it's not technically a "desktop" system by definition haha. I sit 3-4 feet from these speakers and my ears will bleed if I turn it past 12 on the focusrite. This sub...is ridiculous. I am immensely impressed with it and as you mentioned for the cost of all three speakers (especially the JBL's) I would call this a bargain build.

Happiness has increased +10 for me when sitting at my desk!
Hagos

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You really do have an awesome "budget" system. I put budget in quotes because that only reflects the price. I'd say you have a nicer audiophile setup than a lot of folks have for their main systems!

H

hagosrush

Audioholic Intern
You really do have an awesome "budget" system. I put budget in quotes because that only reflects the price. I'd say you have a nicer audiophile setup than a lot of folks have for their main systems!
This forum was essential in making that happen. I know I already said thanks but I am really really happy with this system. I am continually lurking in the more "advanced" forums so that I can learn from you guys.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis