120 hertz too good?

S

Scarriere

Junior Audioholic
I quit going to Blu Ray.com because of the rudeness and elitest attitude there. My 52LX177 has seperate settings for each input so 120hz is turned on for HD hockey (which is great) and it is turned off and the 24p is turned on for Blu Ray (which is also great). I am very happy with this. Audioholics(?) like jostenmeat and his like couldn't ever change my opinion on how good I have it.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, that jostenmeat ... I'll tell ya. What did he do to you? :rolleyes: ;) :D

S

Scarriere

Junior Audioholic
Nothing directly to me. Doesn't like my shopping choice I guess. #30 post I didn't like and I can't stand elitistism. I work hard for my cash and there's limits on what I'll spend. Must be nice to have the $$ and space for a projector, but not everyone is loaded. I'm not well-to-do but that doesn't mean I'm gonna watch vhs on a 13".

annunaki

annunaki

I just adjusted a 50" base model Panny plasma this weekend. Wow did that turn out nice! Cinema mode calibrated really well. Hard to believe it was only $900.00!

HD looked gorgeous on it.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nothing directly to me. Doesn't like my shopping choice I guess. #30 post I didn't like and I can't stand elitistism. I work hard for my cash and there's limits on what I'll spend. Must be nice to have the $$ and space for a projector, but not everyone is loaded. I'm not well-to-do but that doesn't mean I'm gonna watch vhs on a 13".
The nerve of some people!
So what if I don't know my @$$ from my elbow!
That doesn't mean LCD doesn't suck like a prom date!

Oh, the basteria. :eek::D

S

Scarriere

Junior Audioholic
That's funny.
Put-downs w/humour I can take!
Kinda wish I finished high school now just for the Prom.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I thougt my 69 Z28 was fast till i took a spin in a Porsche 959 :eek: glad your happy with your display, but it doesnt mean there isnt better (even in the lcd category)

S

Scarriere

Junior Audioholic
I thougt my 69 Z28 was fast till i took a spin in a Porsche 959 :eek: glad your happy with your display, but it doesnt mean there isnt better (even in the lcd category)
Dude, I didn't say I had the best, I said I was happy with what I'm watching. I know that there is better. I knew that when I was shopping around. I got what I considered to be the best bang for my buck at the time.

I'd take a '60s Camero over any Porche. Especially a '69 ZL-1 427.
Yes, including the porche that may make me scream in fear like the 959.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Dude, I didn't say I had the best, I said I was happy with what I'm watching. I know that there is better. I knew that when I was shopping around. I got what I considered to be the best bang for my buck at the time.

DZ 1 302 baby thats what i had:D 302 speced 350bhp on the dyno-430bhp

S

Scarriere

Junior Audioholic
DZ 1 302 baby thats what i had:D 302 speced 350bhp on the dyno-430bhp
Yikes!
Musta sucked having to get all the finger-imprints off of the passenger-side dashboard.
Nice ride Bro'.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Jostenmeat is a good guy. He's pretty smart and is extremely helpful when called upon.
Just keep an eye on him for a little bit and I'm sure that you'll agree.
Singling him out on your 12th post is probably a little much. ;) :)

EDIT: BTW, it's me who doesn't know my @$$ from my elbow.
I make mistakes regular like.

S

Scarriere

Junior Audioholic
Okay.
I like my TV and totally over-reacted. I will avoid that.
Thanks for setting me straight.
This site is full of helpful people and is great!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I quit going to Blu Ray.com because of the rudeness and elitest attitude there. My 52LX177 has seperate settings for each input so 120hz is turned on for HD hockey (which is great) and it is turned off and the 24p is turned on for Blu Ray (which is also great). I am very happy with this. Audioholics(?) like jostenmeat and his like couldn't ever change my opinion on how good I have it.
Okay.
I like my TV and totally over-reacted. I will avoid that.
Thanks for setting me straight.
This site is full of helpful people and is great!
My words were harsh, but honest, and elitist or not, always with the intention of helping others out. I fully realize, even when posting #30, that MANY respected members here use an LCD. I also realize that LCDs have their time and place, but best PQ for the money it ain't. My words are not really directed to those who bought an LCD already, but to those shopping for their first flat panel. Why was it that my wording was so.... direct? It's because of my recent experiences, albeit limited, in my newfound hobby of AV:

I know a LOT of people with LCDs. Their reasoning, 100% of the time, yes, 100% of the time, is due to, in order, 1) fear of burn in 2) energy consumption. The first is extremely overhyped, and the second is simply false as far as I know. Maybe I overreacted as well. It didn't help that a particular poster here had been annoying me somewhat in a different thread of a different subforum.

I'm mulling over the people I know with a plasma. I do not think that it is coincidence that perhaps all of them are professionals in the industry, save my brother, with whom I made sure he made the right choice.

I know 5 CI guys personally, all of which are sole owners or partners, representing three companies. Three of them use a plasma (2 Panas, 1 Kuro), and two partners live together with a FP. (Ok, one has a crt hooked up to a vcr just for the tuner in the BR). I know another who has worked for a long time for Pana, and well, duh. Even if they make all kinds of displays. Oh yeah, another was a long time manager of a movie theater. Yep, Pana plasma. Last I think of, off the time of my head, is my brother.

I don't really think it's a coincidence. Find out which posters here at AH are the CI guys. I can think of several. They ALL use plasma, AFAIK. I may be wrong, but I think of BMXTRIX, bandphan, highfigh, HiHo, Phil Taylor (I may have got some names wrong, and maybe one of them DOES own an LCD).

All in all, my overreaction, if any, stems from the blatant misinformation that is so widespread. THIS is my main beef.

There are many people who paid more for their LCD than my PJ. The PQ is worlds apart. As for being loaded, I just spend my money on this hobby. I don't golf, don't go boating, don't have a vacation home or timeshare, don't travel much anymore, etc. There are people here who have a single car that is worth more than my HT, stereo, pickup truck, musical instruments, combined. Though, with the current state of things, I am tempted to buy a new car . . . who knows . . . truck has been strong for over a decade now.

Aren't those US street illegal? Sorry, I don't know anything about cars.

I just adjusted a 50" base model Panny plasma this weekend. Wow did that turn out nice! Cinema mode calibrated really well. Hard to believe it was only $900.00!

HD looked gorgeous on it.
Is the base = 80u? If so, that's a killer price, man. My brother just got the same size, and he paid a few hundred more. Best black levels I've seen anywhere close to that price. It's pretty evident even with the lights on. I admit, the VP or something wasn't as good, side by side, with the 800, but it's the best value IMO for that size of HDTV.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The 959 is not, unless your ex gives you a present to the Porsche driving school :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The 959 is not, unless your ex gives you a present to the Porsche driving school :D
It was a veeeeeerrrryyy long time ago I read an article, but IIRC, does that thing do 0-60 in . . . 3.2 seconds or something? It goes to 80 mph just in 1st gear? There are like a few different trim models or something?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Is the base = 80u? If so, that's a killer price, man. My brother just got the same size, and he paid a few hundred more. Best black levels I've seen anywhere close to that price. It's pretty evident even with the lights on. I admit, the VP or something wasn't as good, side by side, with the 800, but it's the best value IMO for that size of HDTV.
BTW, when skimming thru the manual for the plasma, there wasn't anything at all about plamsa break-in. At all. Brother has yet to see a single moment of IR. I guess they must've come a long way, even for the base model.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
BTW, when skimming thru the manual for the plasma, there wasn't anything at all about plamsa break-in. At all. Brother has yet to see a single moment of IR. I guess they must've come a long way, even for the base model.
its pretty damm hard to get ir let alone burnin with panny or pioneer, i still run the 100hour break in, as a performance enhancement.

annunaki

annunaki

It was the Base model at BB for their black friday deal. It is a weird model #. 50PE8U??? It is the same as the PX80U sans an extra HDMI and SD card slot that I could tell.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis