12" Infinity Kappa VQ Build Plans

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
After spending countless hours working on my speaker builds design I finally have something to show for it (kind of). Here are some images of the CAD file I have worked up. I will start the build on December 29th or so and am planning on taking many pictures so expect some updates.

These are plans for the VQ to be used in Mid-Q mode. The cab is going to be about 3.95 cubic feet with a slotted port with dimensions equivalent to 12.5" x 3" x 55.5" resulting in an F3 of about 19.5Hz.

Exterior dimensions are 24" deep x 22" wide x 28.5" tall. This is planned to be the bottom portion of a full-range floor standing speaker. Due to this the width and depth were decided by the upper portion with the goal of keeping size continuity. Height was chosen to reach desired frequency response.

I will be building a pair of these that will be powered by an EP2500 and response will be controlled via a DCX2496.

*It should be noted in the images displayed there is no rounding shown rounding within the port this is simply due to me being lazy all corners in the port will have approximately 3/4" radii*

Modeled frequency response in WinISD Pro:

Front:

Top:

Top right:

Back:

Edit: I am an *** I forgot to thank Chris (WmAx) for his tremendous amount of help not only with my subs but with the upper portion and a vast majority of what I have learned about speakers and their design.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Good stuff!

I am about to get designing my box too.

Looking forward to seeing this built.

SheepStar

treejohnny

treejohnny

Junior Audioholic
Awesome ! I am gonna be tagging along to see how you do the slot port. I am very serious about making the same type of sub real soon.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
It should be noted, that these will be lighter than they appear. Construction will use hardwood cabinet grade ply for the exterior shell, and solid oak for all internal bracing. This will (1) provide a superior/stiffer construction with higher frequency resonant panel modes as compared to MDF (2) lower overall weight as compared to the same construction plan utilizing MDF.

-Chris

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Too many pieces, wasted material. Keep it simple.
Great explanation:rolleyes:. The bracing of this unit is extremely well thought out and designed to be not only efficient, but highly ridged to remove any possible resonance not only in the frequencies being played, but those that are reached due to crossover usage. Also, this form of bracing allows for higher than typical crossover settings with these subs for alternative usage.

Complexity is not always bad if it has its purposes its not my fault if you got confused ;).

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Apparently Refuge prefers short and simple design builds, much like his postings. Out of the vast number he's made (all of three), none have been longer than one sentence... -TD

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I just dont think you are that serious with your build. If you were you would not stay out until 4am, the morning of the build, drinking scotch and listening to my crappy Paradigms!

Blahahahahha

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I just dont think you are that serious with your build. If you were you would not stay out until 4am, the morning of the build, drinking scotch and listening to my crappy Paradigms!

Blahahahahha
Hahaha - I was up at 10 working on the build the next morning so I would say I am at least semi-serious ;). What can I say, I am a sucker for a good martini and good music!

Matt34

Matt34

Blahahahahha
That's a long drive from Iowa for a glass of scotch!;)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
That's a long drive from Iowa for a glass of scotch!;)
I am in Texas visiting my parents right now (and working on the sub). So it wasn't that long of a drive - just an hour and a half from my parents to his place, besides it was one good drink :D.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Man, I promised you a smokey martini and forgot to ever make it! Oh well, you got to taste a true unfiltered single malt scotch.

We really enjoyed the visit and your lady were fine company. I was glad you liked my system as I know how picky you are.

How did the build go?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Man, I promised you a smokey martini and forgot to ever make it! Oh well, you got to taste a true unfiltered single malt scotch.

We really enjoyed the visit and your lady were fine company. I was glad you liked my system as I know how picky you are.

How did the build go?
I don't think I would have made it home if we remembered that smokey martini - next time :).

The build is going well. We are taking a short break right now. It will be a couple more days max (hopefully tomorrow) before something is complete. I am taking pictures and when I have a chance I will post them, but that might be a bit.

Matt34

Matt34

I am in Texas visiting my parents right now (and working on the sub). So it wasn't that long of a drive - just an hour and a half from my parents to his place, besides it was one good drink :D.
I'm here in San Antonio for work until the 5th, Army All-American Bowl.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am confused...are you saying you want me to have a scotch ready for you because you are coming over?
I'm here in San Antonio for work until the 5th, Army All-American Bowl.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I am confused...are you saying you want me to have a scotch ready for you because you are coming over?
All of a sudden I am thirsty :D.

Here are some pics of todays work. The glue is taking its sweet time to dry, but that is the only real hang up. We wanted to get more work done today, but ran out of clamps.

Bracing:

Part of the slot port:

There are only two pieces of wood left to cut and then more glue to be used, but everything is in line for the clamps :mad:. More to come.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Awesome, let me know how it turns out. If it's done before you leave I may come and take a listen to it.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
More Pics

More updates - two more days of work in 40 degree weather and quite a bit of work has been done. Hopefully everything will be complete in the next day or two.

Enough talk - here are some pics:

Pics of the driver (requested):

The hole at the bottom is the variable Q/BL slot - a very nice feature.

The center bracing:

Round over work for the port:

Cove work for the port:

Continued in next post.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis