1080p - What's the best route?

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
soundsfine said:
Back on the topic of LCDs...

Syntax is supposed to release a 1080p 42-inch model (LT42HVE) sometime this year. If past performance is an indicator, it will be priced lower than the competitors.
And it's performance won't be as good either. I've been looking at them as well and while the price point is compelling the Sharp's just look a lot better to me. And the prices keep coming down.

Others, this post is about flat panel and RPTV's not projector and how well a screen works over a painted wall. EVH's point was don't make a decision over replacing bulbs. ;)

Buckle-meister

Duffinator said:
Others, this post is about flat panel and RPTV's not projector and how well a screen works over a painted wall. EVH's point was don't make a decision over replacing bulbs. ;)
Nothing wrong with a small tangent; it happens on many threads a lot of the time. Besides, I'm finished now. :)

Regards

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Duffinator said:
how well a screen works over a painted wall. EVH's point was don't make a decision over replacing bulbs. ;)
I agree Duff. But EVH did leave this statement open for others to see.

and by the way, I'm not using a screen, just a clean painted white wall. A screen doesn't look right unless you have the picture one size all the time. I change it depending on my source, and by day it looks like a simple living room with nice speakers.
Sorry to hijack the thread (for original poster)
I guess me and Buckle should have just PM'ed each other after the first mention of screens.

But back to EVH's post. It is correct to say, RP or FP either way. Both will require bulb changes. RearP. is known to last last longer. Possible because there is a better cooling solution for a larger box, also surely they do not need to be as bright as a F-projector since the screen is only 8" away. However if bulb replacement is an issue, then LCD or Plasma may be better. (granted this is just seconding anothers opinion)

Last edited:
Duffinator

Duffinator

brian32672 said:
Sorry to hijack the thread (for original poster)
I guess me and Buckle should have just PM'ed each other after the first mention of screens.
It's not like I've ever hijacked a thread before. ;) Just wanted to further the discussion of LCD FLAT PANELS, one of my favorite subjects. :)

millerbrad

millerbrad

Enthusiast
I'm totally offended that this thread was hijacked.... ;)

I guess in my head, I want a set that will last me as long as possible. I've been using the same el-cheapo 27" Philips-Magnavox CRT (that cost me less than the price of one DLP bulb replacement :) ) for the last decade, as I've moved from apartment to apartment to house. I'd hope that my next TV also lasts at least 10 years.

The cost of DLP bulbs isn't enough to make me not buy DLP/LCoS. Still, depending on bulb lives of 6 months to 2 years, I could be spending anywhere from $1,500-6,000 on bulbs over those ten years, so it's just something I factor in when comparing apples-to-apples while I price shop. If anything made me choose LCD over DLP, it'd be better performance without glare in daytime lighting. I know dead pixels can be a problem with LCD, but wonder how visible a dead pixel at 1080p would be...

As I'd mentioned. I'll be watching TV in a well-lit living room where I won't want to be dimming the lights. While I guess that I could manage a FPTV in those conditions, I wouldn't think it'd be pretty. If I were building a home theater in my basement, then I'd say that FPTV would easily be my first choice.

I've seen some rumblings about a 55" LG 1080p LCD being released anytime now. Any thoughts on the quality of the LG sets? (maybe a tough question, given that there aren't any other LG 1080p's to compare to yet)

Duffinator

Duffinator

millerbrad said:
I know dead pixels can be a problem with LCD, but wonder how visible a dead pixel at 1080p would be...

I've seen some rumblings about a 55" LG 1080p LCD being released anytime now. Any thoughts on the quality of the LG sets? (maybe a tough question, given that there aren't any other LG 1080p's to compare to yet)
I don't think dead pixels is much of a concern with the current generation of LCD panels. The construction process has gotten a lot better in the current manufacturing plants and I haven't seen or heard of this problem in the past couple of years.

LG/Phillips is the second largest manufacturer of LCD panels in the world and their glass is as good as anyone's. Thye OEM the panels for many LCD's out there including Syntax. Their latest sets look terrific and I wouldn't think twice about purchasing one. Any idea of when that set is supposed to hit the streets? I haven't heard much about it in the past few months, or the Sharp's for that matter.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Duffinator said:
I don't think dead pixels is much of a concern with the current generation of LCD panels. The construction process has gotten a lot better in the current manufacturing plants and I haven't seen or heard of this problem in the past couple of years.
Humm, is this the case more-so on LCD tv's. Over LCD monitors? Just curious, I know that they are in 2 classes, and the A class must have 0 to 1 dead pixel. And the lower classes can have up to 30 dead pixels??
Granted I am not a LCD buff.

Duffinator

Duffinator

brian32672 said:
Humm, is this the case more-so on LCD tv's. Over LCD monitors? Just curious, I know that they are in 2 classes, and the A class must have 0 to 1 dead pixel. And the lower classes can have up to 30 dead pixels??
Granted I am not a LCD buff.
From personal experience, having two LCD monitors at home, two at work, plus hundreds of others of my co-workers I don't see any dead pixels. Plus reading financial reports on companies and technologies, plus reading lcd tv reviews it just doesn't come up anymore. I used to hear about it all the time but it seems to be a dead (pun intended) issue. I've seen burn-in issues on commercial plasma monitors and I'd be much more concerned about that than one or two dead pixels out of over 2 million on an LCD panel. But that's just me and my bias towards LCD. :eek:

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Yea, it just sucks that my Sony LCD monitor has 2 dead pixels. And they won't do an exchange unless there are 5 or more....

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
millerbrad said:
For those of you with DLP's, how long have the bulbs actually lasted in your sets? I've heard the theoretical "bulbs usually last 1-2 years", but I've had trouble finding actual lifespans from people who actually own these sets. If the bulb blows in under a year, is it typically due to "abuse conditions" (poor ventilation, temperature fluctuations, extremely extended view-times)? Is there anything I can do to extend the lifespan of a DLP bulb (On most days, the TV is on about 6 hours per day from 5pm-11pm)?/QUOTE]
I've had a Sharp XV-9000U mounted on my ceiling for three years with the original bulb at 1150 hours. The ceiling mount is preferred, imo, because it keeps the projector out of harm's way. The room is air conditioned, but I take no special precautions and keep the projector running for hours on end without concern.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Duffinator said:
From personal experience, having two LCD monitors at home, two at work, plus hundreds of others of my co-workers I don't see any dead pixels. Plus reading financial reports on companies and technologies, plus reading lcd tv reviews it just doesn't come up anymore. I used to hear about it all the time but it seems to be a dead (pun intended) issue. I've seen burn-in issues on commercial plasma monitors and I'd be much more concerned about that than one or two dead pixels out of over 2 million on an LCD panel. But that's just me and my bias towards LCD. :eek:
Much of the time, you can't even see a dead pixel unless you actually go looking for it. I checked out my Apple LCD and my GF's LCD iMac just before their warranties expired. There are many combinations of ways in which pixels can be stuck or dead. Stuck on or off matrixed with stuck red, blue, or green. The iMac had 3 or 4 (not enough to qualify for a replacement) but in normal usage, I am hard-pressed to spot them. Only when I put up various solid colors across the whole screen can I ID them all. Movies and TV generally have more moving content than computer activity so a non-moving pixel might be more noticable in an HT setup, but I agree with Duff-man that it's just not that big an issue anymore.

Personally, though, I like RP DLP over RP LCD because of the richer blacks. A good friend has a 42" 720p-native Sony RP LCD and too much light gets through the "chip" for my taste.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
djoxygen said:
Much of the time, you can't even see a dead pixel unless you actually go looking for it.
Yea, but my 2 are about 4" from each other and are in the middle of the screen, very easy to see. And they are locked color of blue.

Duffinator

Duffinator

The other issue is your sit 18" away from your computer monitor and much further away when watching a larger screen TV. Still hard to beat a CRT based set for black levels and overall PQ. I think LCD panels, or some derivative of LCD, will be the dominate display device 5 to 10 years from now.

Brian, have you tried gently rubbing the glass at that spot?

millerbrad

millerbrad

Enthusiast
Duffinator said:
Or maybe just drop it on the floor a few times and see if you can get enough dead pixels to have that warranty honored... :p

millerbrad

millerbrad

Enthusiast
Duffinator said:

LG/Phillips is the second largest manufacturer of LCD panels in the world and their glass is as good as anyone's. Thye OEM the panels for many LCD's out there including Syntax. Their latest sets look terrific and I wouldn't think twice about purchasing one. Any idea of when that set is supposed to hit the streets? I haven't heard much about it in the past few months, or the Sharp's for that matter.
You mentioned quality issues with the Syntax panels a little earlier in the thread. Would this carry through to LG? Or is it just Syntax doing something to drop the ball rather than LG?

Last I'd heard, the 55" LG was supposed to hit Japan this month. No clue when it makes it to the States.

...or if it really accepts a 1080p source.

Duffinator

Duffinator

millerbrad said:
You mentioned quality issues with the Syntax panels a little earlier in the thread. Would this carry through to LG? Or is it just Syntax doing something to drop the ball rather than LG?

Last I'd heard, the 55" LG was supposed to hit Japan this month. No clue when it makes it to the States.

...or if it really accepts a 1080p source.
I don't think it's the panel, it's Syntax dropping the ball. Their new sets, either HVI or HVS models, are supposed to be much better. But they aren't out yet or at least I haven't seen one yet.

I don't think they will accept 1080P inputs but we can always hope.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Duffinator said:
The other issue is your sit 18" away from your computer monitor and much further away when watching a larger screen TV. Still hard to beat a CRT based set for black levels and overall PQ. I think LCD panels, or some derivative of LCD, will be the dominate display device 5 to 10 years from now.

Actually while the PJ is packed away, I have been using it (LCD) as my tv to watch dvd's. And I sit about 5 1/2 feet away. Funny huh. I mean, damn I have a PJ with a 120" screen. But because of all the work at the condo, there was to much sanding going on. So I did not want dust in the PJ. As far as the rubbing, I have tried. But never figured that it would work. Uhm, sorry no deal. Actually rubbed quite hard (now those 2 words in one line Rubbed & Hard :eek: ) The other idea of drop kicking it has crossed my mind. But the main use it gets is just for when I play my MP3's on the DVD player. I will not fire up the PJ, just so I can see a list of songs. If you are wondering, yes my dvd player has a vga out....

E

e73bass

Junior Audioholic
1080p

So does anyone know if this 55" LCD from LG will have the built in DVR Recorder. They have a 50" and 60" plasma with them in them. Also they
introduced a 71" Plasma (non-DVR) with a HD display (1920 X 1020)

I may be interested in this LG display----worried about quality of LG though as compared to Hitachi. Thinking about the 55" director series plasma from
Hitachi.

millerbrad

millerbrad

Enthusiast
So, the recurring theme with 1080p panels seems to be that they don't actually accept a 1080p source. That's a bummer for those of us who might want to play their PS3 in its supposed full glory.

I know there's the workaround to get 1080p into the 45" Aquos LCD (see Duffinator's post earlier in this thread). Does anyone know of any other televisions that are out there which can actually accept 1080p?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis