1080p - What's the best route?

millerbrad

millerbrad

Enthusiast
I've been scouting the Internet, trying to find the perfect TV for my new house once I get it built (luckily, I have about 8 months before I plan on making my purchase). I'd like to get a TV that will last me for years to come, so I'm leaning toward anthing that's 1080p. The TV is going into a main-floor living room with full lighting, and I don't necessarily want to darken the room every time I turn on the tube.

I play video games, and plan on installing a HTPC if and when they ever support HDMI/CableCard. So, I think that plasma, with its burn-in issues, will be out of the question.

So basically, in my head, my choices are narrowed to LCD vs. DLP.

With LCD, I'm a bit discouraged with the selection of larger-sized screens. I really like the technology and performance in daytime lighting conditions, but I'm underwhelmed by the (relatively) small screens and high prices. Moreover, I've heard rumors (which have more-or-less been confirmed after reading the owner's manual) that Sharp's 45" LC-45GD6U AQUOS "1080p" is actually 1080i and won't accept a 1080p source. I've also heard that the Samsung 46" LT-P468W has already been dumped from manufacturing.

I've been impressed with what I've seen and heard about the new 1080p DLP RPTVs & LCOS-TVs, but am a bit worried about the bulb-life & bulb prices. I guess I can get a warranty that covers bulbs, but do I really want to wait a month for a warranty-replacement bulb? At roughly $300 a bulb, I feel like I'd almost be financially better off buying the biggest, baddest LCD available when I get around to my purchase.

On to my actual questions...

For those of you with DLP's, how long have the bulbs actually lasted in your sets? I've heard the theoretical "bulbs usually last 1-2 years", but I've had trouble finding actual lifespans from people who actually own these sets. If the bulb blows in under a year, is it typically due to "abuse conditions" (poor ventilation, temperature fluctuations, extremely extended view-times)? Is there anything I can do to extend the lifespan of a DLP bulb (On most days, the TV is on about 6 hours per day from 5pm-11pm)?

And finally, has anyone heard of any larger 1080p LCD's planned for U.S. release in the next 8 months or so? Anything else I should keep an eye open for?

millerbrad

millerbrad

Enthusiast
Yep.. I saw that thread. Unfortunately, the only person listed with an RPTV was less than pleased with the performance (mind you, his first bulb would have made it about 2 years in my home, based on the hours usage he listed).

Maybe the RPTVs just haven't been around long enough to provide many bulb life reports. Although, I guess it's encouraging to hear that the RPTVs have longer lives.

Last edited:
Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm pretty sure Sharp has announced 55" and/or 65" sets that are on their way this fall $$$. The 45" with the external box is capable of taking a direct 1080P input but you need to get an external splitter (or something else?) between the panel and the AVC to connect both inputs. The AVC outputs 1080P after all inputs have been converted/scanned to 1080P so the actual input to the set is 1080P! Read this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=459511&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

There was a recent review of the Sharp 45" by widescreenreview dot com and much to my surprise they really liked it. In the past they have complained about other LCD's black levels.

I still think the Sharp 45" is the way to go but I agree that it's not big enough. But the bigger sets are coming. :D

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
I have had my panasonic plasma tv for about three years. Every morning CNN on with the ticker. The set is basically on all weekend with either video games or dvd's and the occasional party I play a fish aquarium setting with music. Have yet to see burn in.

So I don't think burn in is a thing to worry about, granted you purchase a quality plasma screen.

millerbrad

millerbrad

Enthusiast
Maybe when I finally buy, there'll be a 55" Aquos that doesn't need "hacks" to accept 1080p source? And if I could get it at a $5k (or lower) price-point, then that'd be an added bonus. :rolleyes:

And if there was a big, fat Panny plasma with native 1080p resolution that I was 100% protected from burn-in with, maybe I'd reconsider and go that way.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
New Sony LCD

I am not sure if the New Sony LCD's that are comming this Fall will do 1080P but they have 40 inch and 45 inch that is very well priced comming. The 40 inch XBR LCD retail price is $4449

There have been good reviews on the Samsung DLP that does 1080P.

E

evhudsons

Audiophyte
Inches?

I crack up whenever I see someone going for a screen in inches because a projector bulb is too expensive when replaced every two years. Hmmm, $300, so $150 a year, or $12.50 a month. That is not out of my budget, $12.50 a month. and my screen is my entire wall, almost as nice as IMAX. I simply bought a DLP sharp projector, no rainbow effects, and by replacing the bulb I have essentially a new projector. The rainbow wheel prevents any deteriation of picture quality.
I'm not saying that a front projector is for everyone, as you must take into consideration lighting, wife, etc..., but don't give up a phenomenol experience over bulb price. In fact, when your LCD tv gets those annoying pixel burns of odd colors that can't be fixed, you might be wishing you had gone dlp. And for plasma, they simply lose their luster over time. As long as I keep replacing my bulb, then I have a far superior product, and the pixelation is far, far, far, far superior to LCD with the screen door effect. My picture is about 9feet wide and 5 foot height. I adjust all the time for anamorphic, 4:3, 16:9 etc...and high def is just mind boggling.
The comcast guy wouldn't leave my couch, and my windows were open letting in light. When I closed them a little, he just stared in awe. He installs hidef in plasmas and lcd's all the time. Another friend came over and actually said "it's easier on the eyes" because it was large, and being a wall, had no glare! he just kept saying over and over that he's never seen anything like it in his life! My old 56" rptv had glare, and people kept saying that it was hard to watch unless you sat way back.
I researched for months, and debated over size, lighting, rainbow, lcd crispness, everything. I read and read. I bought a sharp xv-z2000 dlp 720p native, and can't say anything negative at all about it. I spent under $3000, got a mount and spare bulb, 4 year warranty, and am addicted to movies, games, and hidef disovery, and pbs.
Tonight comes the real test,
Monday Night Football in Hi -def 5.1 surround sound.
There are many reasons to choose LCD or LYcos, or crt rptv rather than a dlp front projector,
but don't make bulb cost that much of a factor if that' how you choose because,
if you can't afford $12.50 a month, you shouldn't be buying a high end TV in the first place.
I hope this helps,
and by the way, I'm not using a screen, just a clean painted white wall. A screen doesn't look right unless you have the picture one size all the time. I change it depending on my source, and by day it looks like a simple living room with nice speakers.
later,
gotta check the latest on netflix

Buckle-meister

evhudsons said:
...by the way, I'm not using a screen, just a clean painted white wall. A screen doesn't look right unless you have the picture one size all the time. I change it depending on my source, and by day it looks like a simple living room with nice speakers.
I don't use a screen either, and I agree; it's nice to have just a normal looking room with the speakers alone.

But I should add that I doubt that anyone would disagree that a dedicated screen, whilst perhaps not looking perfect for the various picture sizes that will be displayed upon it, will noticeably improve the picture as compared to projecting upon a regular white wall.

Regards

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Buckle-meister said:
I don't use a screen either, and I agree; it's nice to have just a normal looking room with the speakers alone.

But I should add that I doubt that anyone would disagree that a dedicated screen, whilst perhaps not looking perfect for the various picture sizes that will be displayed upon it, will noticeably improve the picture as compared to projecting upon a regular white wall.

Regards
He made some very good points Buckle. And I agree with you, I have tried it on a freshly (3 months) painted wall. And with a manul screen and with the electric screen. The electric screen IMO is the way to go, unless you have a dedicated HT. And even then, by having a electric screen-its easier for masking. I guess thinking about it in inches is kinda funny. So mine is about 8' x 6'

Buckle-meister

brian32672 said:
...by having a electric screen-its easier for masking.
Why is this? I am quite curious because ideally, I'd like my own screen (when I eventually get one) to have only the white/grey area the size of whatever aspect ratio picture I am projecting (typically 16:9 ;) )

Regards

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Buckle-meister said:
Why is this? I am quite curious because ideally, I'd like my own screen (when I eventually get one) to have only the white/grey area the size of whatever aspect ratio picture I am projecting (typically 16:9 ;) )

Regards
Well my screen casing is black and I have a 2" black border around screen. So sides will always be the same for me. Then the bottom I just bring screen up to image of picture with my 2" border. So the only thing I have to mask is the top. Because when screen must go up for smaller 16:9 material the top border will be up inside casing. Humm, I wonder if I am writing this correctly. Would be easier to explain in person or over the phone. I do hate typing.....

Buckle-meister

brian32672 said:
I do hate typing.....
Sorry to keep forcing you to do so :eek: , but does masking add significantly to the price of a screen? Can any screen be masked, or has the screen material got to be specified for this at the outset?

Regards

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Any screen can be masked. But buying a screen with an already 2" black border will help quite a bit....

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
evhudsons said:
I crack up whenever I see someone going for a screen in inches because a projector bulb is too expensive when replaced every two years. Hmmm, $300, so $150 a year, or $12.50 a month. That is not out of my budget, $12.50 a month. and my screen is my entire wall, almost as nice as IMAX. I simply bought a DLP sharp projector, no rainbow effects, and by replacing the bulb I have essentially a new projector. The rainbow wheel prevents any deteriation of picture quality.
I'm not saying that a front projector is for everyone, as you must take into consideration lighting, wife, etc..., but don't give up a phenomenol experience over bulb price. In fact, when your LCD tv gets those annoying pixel burns of odd colors that can't be fixed, you might be wishing you had gone dlp. And for plasma, they simply lose their luster over time. As long as I keep replacing my bulb, then I have a far superior product, and the pixelation is far, far, far, far superior to LCD with the screen door effect. My picture is about 9feet wide and 5 foot height. I adjust all the time for anamorphic, 4:3, 16:9 etc...and high def is just mind boggling.
The comcast guy wouldn't leave my couch, and my windows were open letting in light. When I closed them a little, he just stared in awe. He installs hidef in plasmas and lcd's all the time. Another friend came over and actually said "it's easier on the eyes" because it was large, and being a wall, had no glare! he just kept saying over and over that he's never seen anything like it in his life! My old 56" rptv had glare, and people kept saying that it was hard to watch unless you sat way back.
I researched for months, and debated over size, lighting, rainbow, lcd crispness, everything. I read and read. I bought a sharp xv-z2000 dlp 720p native, and can't say anything negative at all about it. I spent under $3000, got a mount and spare bulb, 4 year warranty, and am addicted to movies, games, and hidef disovery, and pbs.
Tonight comes the real test,
Monday Night Football in Hi -def 5.1 surround sound.
There are many reasons to choose LCD or LYcos, or crt rptv rather than a dlp front projector,
but don't make bulb cost that much of a factor if that' how you choose because,
if you can't afford $12.50 a month, you shouldn't be buying a high end TV in the first place.
I hope this helps,
and by the way, I'm not using a screen, just a clean painted white wall. A screen doesn't look right unless you have the picture one size all the time. I change it depending on my source, and by day it looks like a simple living room with nice speakers.
later,
gotta check the latest on netflix
I really have to second this advice. Some very valid points :) :)

Buckle-meister

brian32672 said:
Any screen can be masked. But buying a screen with an already 2" black border will help quite a bit....
Thanks mate.

I was just taking a look at the link you posted to Reference System 3 in Member Systems. I really like the look of fixed frame screens with the deep even black border all around, but I also like the thought of 'rolling it up' after watching a film via an electric screen. Time will tell, but although more expensive, I suspect the motorized screen will end up being the winner. :cool:

No need to respond. :)

Regards

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
The original reason I went with the electric screen is it covers both of my sliding glass patio doors perfectly. The thing with even good manual screens is that they lock in about 1/2" to 1/4" intervals. So its hard to get the border right up to the image. With the electric you can stop it right at the perfect spot. My screen came with 2 remotes 1 RF and 1 IR remote. Also comes with the on wall controller.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
brian32672 said:
The original reason I went with the electric screen is it covers both of my sliding glass patio doors perfectly. The thing with even good manual screens is that they lock in about 1/2" to 1/4" intervals. So its hard to get the border right up to the image. With the electric you can stop it right at the perfect spot. My screen came with 2 remotes 1 RF and 1 IR remote. Also comes with the on wall controller.
Also note that most screens today have a all black backing. So light will not come through. So its great to block out light over a window, or in some cases like me, block out 2 glass doors.

Buckle-meister

Very good Brian32672. Well done. One green chicklet coming up...'Please tip scale if good post.' notwithstanding :rolleyes:

Regards

S

soundsfine

Audioholic
Back on the topic of LCDs...

Syntax is supposed to release a 1080p 42-inch model (LT42HVE) sometime this year. If past performance is an indicator, it will be priced lower than the competitors.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis