Z

Zeeks

Audiophyte
It exists but most games are only 720p. Not like i can notice the difference

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
I did read the whole thread.....thats why I quoted him and not you. :p

And when it comes to video games upscaling is not going to do you much good at all......
It's not matter if it's going to do much good, but rather it has to happen in some scenarios.

All fixed pixel displays must display their picture at their native resolution. So if you have a 1080p display, and give it a 720p signal it must be scaled to the 1080p before it can be displayed.

So if you have a 1080p display, and you are playing a game which has native resolution of 720p on the 360 you have two options to scale the signal to 1080p.

1.) You set your 360 to output 1080p, which means that it is now doing the scaling before the signal leaves the console, and your TV does no processing.

2.) You set your 360 to output 720p, which now outputs the signal (game) at its native resolution, and then your TV takes the signal and scales it to 1080p.

Again, scaling of any sort is never better, but it has to happen either up or down if the signal/material being feed to the display does not match the resolution of the display.

We are probably just trying to think form different angles:cool:

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
It's not matter if it's going to do much good, but rather it has to happen in some scenarios.

All fixed pixel displays must display their picture at their native resolution. So if you have a 1080p display, and give it a 720p signal it must be scaled to the 1080p before it can be displayed.

So if you have a 1080p display, and you are playing a game which has native resolution of 720p on the 360 you have two options to scale the signal to 1080p.

1.) You set your 360 to output 1080p, which means that it is now doing the scaling before the signal leaves the console, and your TV does no processing.

2.) You set your 360 to output 720p, which now outputs the signal (game) at its native resolution, and then your TV takes the signal and scales it to 1080p.

Again, scaling of any sort is never better, but it has to happen either up or down if the signal/material being feed to the display does not match the resolution of the display.

We are probably just trying to think form different angles:cool:
Yes you explained that very well.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Does it matter? I mean resolutions don't make great games.

Gameplay does. That's why I still have a PS2, SNES, and N64, because some games even old ones had great gameplay.

The 360 has a lot of very good titles and is recommended for a game oriented setup.

The PS3 is great for a home theater setup and has some good games too.

I personally have both and don't have to debate.:D

I could care less about graphics if the gameplay stinks.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Does it matter? I mean resolutions don't make great games.

Gameplay does. That's why I still have a PS2, SNES, and N64, because some games even old ones had great gameplay.

The 360 has a lot of very good titles and is recommended for a game oriented setup.

The PS3 is great for a home theater setup and has some good games too.

I personally have both and don't have to debate.:D

I could care less about graphics if the gameplay stinks.
Well my friend you need to come over and seem some games on a real machine!!! :cool::cool:

Once you see Far Cry 2, or Fallout 3 on Ultra settings at 1920x1080 I have a feeling you would change your tune. :)

I do agree that the content is a HUGE factor in games and it is the difference between me playing a game for 5 minuets or for several hours/days. I found Fallout 3 to have that content overlaod factor that kept me glued for several weeks.

Oh BTW I finally bought something for myself yesterday as you suggested. :):)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well my friend you need to come over and seem some games on a real machine!!! :cool::cool:

Once you see Far Cry 2, or Fallout 3 on Ultra settings at 1920x1080 I have a feeling you would change your tune. :)

I do agree that the content is a HUGE factor in games and it is the difference between me playing a game for 5 minuets or for several hours/days. I found Fallout 3 to have that content overlaod factor that kept me glued for several weeks.

Oh BTW I finally bought something for myself yesterday as you suggested. :):)
Yeah but your screen is to small for me:D I don't know how you can make out the men on such a tiny screen. :p

If I ever work up the funds I might get a 1080p but just not impressed to be honest. I find my PJ is just as good as the DLP tv's in the store.

And it's native resolution is lower. Go figure that.

What's the new toy?:D

I've heard Fallout 3 wasn't as good as Fallout 2 from a game perspective. But I need to play it soon. Maybe I should do a side by side between the xbox and ps3

Joeteck

Joeteck

Audioholic
That's why I play games on a PC, and play everything @ 1920 x 1200. ;) 16:10 format on my small 24" screen. GTA 4, looks amazing, everything cranked and getting 45 FPS!

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah but your screen is to small for me:D I don't know how you can make out the men on such a tiny screen. :p

If I ever work up the funds I might get a 1080p but just not impressed to be honest. I find my PJ is just as good as the DLP tv's in the store.

And it's native resolution is lower. Go figure that.

What's the new toy?:D

I've heard Fallout 3 wasn't as good as Fallout 2 from a game perspective. But I need to play it soon. Maybe I should do a side by side between the xbox and ps3

Just picked up the new Yammy last night and I am really enjoying it. Well its not new I picked it up from another forum member for $300....:)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Just picked up the new Yammy last night and I am really enjoying it. Well its not new I picked it up from another forum member for $300....:)
Nice step up. :D New toys are nice. I'm really liking the HK AVR 247, but it doesn't do well on handshake issues.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That's why I play games on a PC, and play everything @ 1920 x 1200. ;) 16:10 format on my small 24" screen. GTA 4, looks amazing, everything cranked and getting 45 FPS!
Not a bad way to go.

I prefer consoles still.

T

TheD

Enthusiast
Sigh, disc space has nothing to do with what res a game can be rendered at.

A few games on the 360 are 1080p (and it can upscale to 1080p for free via hardware) , the PS3 does have a few games that output at 1080p but it can not upscale most games for free bar the fact that to get 1080p output a lot of games that do 1080p on the PS3 run at 960x1080, 1280x1080, 1440x1080 and 1600x1080 and then upscale them (horizontal scaling is free on the PS3).

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not all games take up less space than movies. Kojima said that the BD50 wasn't large enough to hold all the data that he wanted to put on MGS4. But there is still an advantage to hooking a 360 up via HDMI, besides the obvious fewer cables argument, and that is the 360 will only upscale movies to 1080p over HDMI.
MGS4 was mostly space limited based on the pre-rendered cut scenes. That's what Kojima said, and it's true. Storing textures of the right resolution and rendering at the proper scale is a matter of processing power, not storage space. Texture compression methods have become incredibly efficient in the past few years as well.

Also, it my understanding that it is the 360’s hardware that prevents the big name games from being done natively in 1080p, not the physical medium of the games.
It is strictly the hardware of the unit which is at this point quite dated as far as technology goes.

To get the same FPS at 1080P you would have to dial down the graphics quite a bit.
The Xenos is far from dated, and it's more than enough to output its most graphics intensive game at 1080p. Whether developers take advantage of that or not is a different story altogether. We also can't compare hardware utilization and performance on a dedicated platform, consoles, to one on a general purpose platform, personal computers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis