10 Biggest Mistakes in Loudspeaker Shopping

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
There's no truly digital speaker. It means that each speaker has a D/A converter build in to it. It also has an amplifier build in so there's no need to provide a separate amp. It's about signal transfer from source to the loudspeaker.
The suggested benefits are: better channel separation and the amp that's specifically designed for the combination of drivers, perhaps altering problematic areas in FR of the speaker. Good or bad is a matter of budget and personal taste. Meridians are very good to my knowledge but also pricey. On the other hand you could use a 5.1(with coax outputs for each channel) dvd player and eliminate the need for the receiver.
The Lyngdorf integrated amplifiers are very close (TDAI-2200 and Milennium)..... in a way providing a digital signal path all the way to the output stage, where as the output stage is a sort of DAC, or call it a power amplifier that is a PCM to PWM converter... so there is no regular analog stage anywhere in these amps....

And there is basically no volume control, but the volume control controls the supply voltage to the output stage...

So benefits is considerably lower noise level than regular amplifier technology, those amplifiers are really "dead silent"

So you cannot call these digital speakers when using these amps, but you are as close as it gets.....

L

latiger12

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the great tips. I'm new to the forum and these have been very helpfull.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for all the great tips. I'm new to the forum and these have been very helpfull.
I agree I spend so much time reading all threads I never get around to asking all the questions I need answered.I guess it really is a learning experience every step of the way..GREAT SITE...:cool:

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
:D GO EAGLES :D

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tokehectic

Audiophyte
"suckered into buying speakers sold on the street by guys driving white vans" says it all really. Some people are always gonna get conned! Unforunate but true. Not most of the guys on these forums though, you guys all seem to have a degree of common sense.

R

RoadHazard

Enthusiast
Good article! Almost as good as the one about the perfect setup of a HTIB cube system. :rolleyes:

Gryfter

Gryfter

Audioholic Intern
Great read! I'll be passing this on to a few friends of mine.

J

jakeranucci

Audiophyte
white van scam

one day my father came in the door saying he had just purchased speakers from two people in a white van claiming the were $2000 speakers on for $100 because of overstocking my father not knowing much bought them
now i have heard horror stories of scamming but aside from them lacking pretty much all their bass the mts towers (2208) sounded decent but after 2 months of listening the speakers actually popped out of the housing and then the other tower the tweeter stopped after a month. so couple months later i am with my father driving and we see a white van selling something to a different guy thanks to are quick thinking and police force those two have been arrested for theft ...paybacks a b!tch

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
for 14yrs i had apair or bose series111 301s

Well thats two mistakes i made,i didnt know zip,and i didnt catch my mistake for years!!!
So i wanted to get a new avr and build a system for a lg living rm!
User reveiws are favorable too what they just bought most times unless it really sucks!
Pro reveiws get somewhat better,some are real honest but never brutally truthful imop!
Users having several high quality spkrs upon hearing others might be reliable sources,of course what are those spkrs hooked too?
Its all hard to figure really!
EXAM: Ive $20,000 reference spkrs,another $$$$ reference amps and my cds sound irratating and brite after a little while?
Well he didnt want reference really he wanted a really nice sounding system that plays digital cds warmer than reference i gather!!
Spend wisely on what your preference is?
Well i wanted a avr that plays music cds warmly and listening is not irratating like my old 2007 7.1 avr, read,read,reading more and theres rotel,adcom,nad and cambridge um well i did follow my witching stick to a barely affordable refurb nad 7.1 that finnally can reproduce cd music warm and beautifully listenable forever without that yucky edge when loud! Swear i didnt,couldnt audition the thing first!
My witching stick struck gold and my infinitys are decent but i had no idea they could sound this great,my two subs learned to sang also,incredible,ht is easy! DVD Dolby surround modes are eq perfect, but cds are quite DIFFERENT! : Why is cd playback so hard to sound great? JUST IS ,I GUESS!!

J

jamaise123

Audiophyte
what are the mistakes done by load speakers.

B

bombarde32

Audioholic
I have what many would consider Hi-End speakers and also many would call me a sort of Audiophile, I have a nice system of about $30K, travel to the Hi-Fi shows, belong to a small HiFI club and subscribe to 3 HIFI magazines, a few months ago a friend gave me a pair of the "Wite Van speakers" he bought just to see what they actually were, he braced them, added Dynamat, insulation, replaced cross-over and mounted rear tweeters to them, I use them for my wifes system and they sound good for what they are.
I just thought I would confess my sins, maybe I will get a good nights sleep!
LOL. Probably a little more work than most folks etiher care to, or know how to, do.

B

bombarde32

Audioholic
Does this not make an argument for why a Bose system might sound good at home with all the reflective activity in a room?

I am amazed at the snobbery sometimes, but also notice it stops at the $20,000 Meridians. Suddenly that's too much speaker. Convenient snobbery.
I don't think there's any snobbery around here? What you have to understand is something goodcans.com repeats over and over again. As you move farther up the price ladder the total improvement between each rung gets smaller and smaller.

Some people can hear the difference in more expensive systems and we're willing to pay for it. At some point the next improvement is so expensive and so small that most people are unwilling to go the next rung on that ladder.

It's no different from someone who can tell the difference between a Pontiac TransAm (if that's your thing) and a Corvette. If you can afford the Corvette and the improved performance is worth it ... then you buy the Corvette. If you could care less about car performance then go buy a cheaper car.

You're only a snob if you lord your "stuff" over everyone else as if they just aren't good enough to be in the same forums as you. And no one around here that I've seen is going to do that to you.

Srry - I know I'm responding to an old post but this just really irked me for some reason.

A

audiohonic65

Audioholic
Read the article, good piece of info to help me make my next loud speaker shopping.

T

txhedg

Audiophyte
one day my father came in the door saying he had just purchased speakers from two people in a white van claiming the were $2000 speakers on for $100 because of overstocking my father not knowing much bought them
now i have heard horror stories of scamming but aside from them lacking pretty much all their bass the mts towers (2208) sounded decent but after 2 months of listening the speakers actually popped out of the housing and then the other tower the tweeter stopped after a month. so couple months later i am with my father driving and we see a white van selling something to a different guy thanks to are quick thinking and police force those two have been arrested for theft ...paybacks a b!tch
I had that job once back in 1987. for one day. amazing its still around

L

LearnToListen

Audiophyte
Wow, this has been very educational for us, many thanks to everyone who is posting!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis