ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
One thing to watch out for in low budget cables is:
Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA) conductors. You see it in the big-box stores with what seems like major brand names.
That's the main reason I recommend Monoprice Choice: pure copper, inexpensive, easy to find and buy!

S

Space2013

Audioholic
One thing to watch out for in low budget cables is:
Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA) conductors. You see it in the big-box stores with what seems like major brand names.
Yeah, I realized that’s what I was using. 16 AWG CCA. So when I needed new wire anyway I figured 12 AWG pure copper will be an improvement.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
That’s what I figured... I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t an issue using 10 AWG on an 8 ohm speaker for short runs. Some of the speakers will be only a few feet away, but as I understand it there is no issue using too big a wire. I couldn’t see WHY it would be an issue... but thought I’d ask.

If I want to use the raw wire on the binding posts on my Denon, I’m assuming 10 AWG will fit.
For my wholehouse audio...my builder's contractor wanted to charge $500 to run 16 AWG to 3 room locations. I said, no don't worry about it. I came up there one weekend before it was drywalled and ran it myself, and marked my location points.

To make it look neat in the attic, I have runs over 100' and had some of those same thoughts you're having, except mine was 12 vs 14...I spent the extra $20 for the 12 AWG spool and went about the task of pulling wire.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The reason not to do this is that with the length you are going it is completely meaningless to spend the money on the extra thickness. You could use 16 gauge and not be able to hear a difference with a 30 foot run. It's not a 100+ foot run you are talking about here.

I'm a fan of 14/4 cable. This way you can double up the wires if you want to go with a unneeded thicker gauge, but you could also bi-amp in the future should the speakers support it.

If 100' is enough total wire, you can get a roll of 14/4 from Monoprice for about 60 bucks.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2817
Jumping to 12 gauge increases the price to 80 bucks.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2817

The advantage to you going from 14 gauge to 12 gauge will be absolutely nothing and you will be out 20 bucks. But, it's YOUR 20 bucks to spend.

At which point, feel free to double up the conductors on the 12 gauge wire and get an effective 9 gauge wire and be really cool... for no reason at all.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis