S

Space2013

Audioholic
I need to run some new speaker cable to my speakers. The furthest rear surround speaker is an RBH Impression R5 and requires about 30-40 feet of speaker cable. Since it is an 8 ohm speaker it seems 12 AWG would be fine, but it isn't much more to get some 10 AWG. Is there any reason NOT to go 10 AWG? I had originally gotten a lower strand count Belden wire but found it too stiff. I checked out a higher stand count of the Belden 10 AWG and 12 AWG and it is much more flexible, so I just need to pick the gauge.

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
The only reason “not to” is that you aren’t getting anything for the extra expense. As long as you’re fine with that, there’s no reason not to.

Just make sure your banana plugs (or whatever) will take 10-ga.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The only reason to get 10AWG speaker cables is so that you can stop thinking about it and move on to more important things.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I need to run some new speaker cable to my speakers. The furthest rear surround speaker is an RBH Impression R5 and requires about 30-40 feet of speaker cable. Since it is an 8 ohm speaker it seems 12 AWG would be fine, but it isn't much more to get some 10 AWG. Is there any reason NOT to go 10 AWG? I had originally gotten a lower strand count Belden wire but found it too stiff. I checked out a higher stand count of the Belden 10 AWG and 12 AWG and it is much more flexible, so I just need to pick the gulag.
10 gauge is more than adequate, even if your amp puts out more than 500W. The fact is, you would almost never see that power output and if you do, you would never know the wire gauge.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
No real reason not to use 10 ga. One not so real is workability of 10 ga to connect to terminals .

S

Space2013

Audioholic
The only reason to get 10AWG speaker cables is so that you can stop thinking about it and move on to more important things.
That’s what I figured... I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t an issue using 10 AWG on an 8 ohm speaker for short runs. Some of the speakers will be only a few feet away, but as I understand it there is no issue using too big a wire. I couldn’t see WHY it would be an issue... but thought I’d ask.

If I want to use the raw wire on the binding posts on my Denon, I’m assuming 10 AWG will fit.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The wire size into binding posts is probably the only issue you'll have if cost is no factor.

That 10 AWG is so big it could easily have stray strands that short out if using bare wire connections on the AVR, because they're so close to each other. This is one reason I personally prefer a good quality banana plug.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
The wire size into binding posts is probably the only issue you'll have if cost is no factor.

That 10 AWG is so big it could easily have stray strands that short out if using bare wire connections on the AVR, because they're so close to each other. This is one reason I personally prefer a good quality banana plug.
Hmmmm. The price difference for the Belden 10 AWG vs 12 AWG is a bit more than I thought. Looks like $40-$60. I was going to just go 10 AWG so if I ever switched to 4 ohm speakers I wouldn't have to rewire...

What is sad is I know this is the least important thing in my setup, and I'm coming from 16 AWG CCA wire, so either option will be an improvement, but I keep getting stuck!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you're happy, fine, but understand that for all intents and purposes, anything more than 16 gauge is overkill.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
If you're happy, fine, but understand that for all intents and purposes, anything more than 16 gauge is overkill.
I was using the Audioholics AWG guide. Using 12 AWG, I’m fine with an 8 ohm speaker (which is what I currently have) but if I ever switch to a 6 ohm speaker I’ll be around the length limit of 45 feet.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The price difference for the Belden 10 AWG vs 12 AWG is a bit more than I thought. Looks like $40-$60. I was going to just go 10 AWG so if I ever switched to 4 ohm speakers I wouldn't have to rewire...
Why spend that much on speaker wire? Monoprice Choice 12AWG is ~$40 per 100' spool. The in-wall rated Access 100' spool is ~$44!
I have runs approaching that length on 6-ohm speakers and the 12AWG works great.
:)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
10 or 12 gauge is unsuitable; for duck, turkey, quail, or pheasant; it would blow the bird to pieces rendering it inedible....oooops sorry, wrong forum. :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could always double up the 12g for effective 9g....

S

Space2013

Audioholic
You could always double up the 12g for effective 9g....
Might as well just get 10 AWG at that point as I'd have to buy double the length 12 AWG. What would you do? Extra $40 for 10 AWG vs 12 AWG in the lengths I need. Longest run is about 45 feet to an RBH R5 (8 ohm) serving as a surround speaker.

Does using a smaller wire make the amp or anything else work harder? Or is there just a loss in volume?

I'd be right at the limit of a 6 ohm speaker according to Audioholics guide (https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-gauge).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
According.to that table I should be great. I'll just go with 12 AWG, seems a bit easier to work with, is cheaper, and has more banana plug terminal options.
There are bananas that can handle 10g, too....

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
One thing to watch out for in low budget cables is:
Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA) conductors. You see it in the big-box stores with what seems like major brand names.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis