$10,000 Two Channel Recommended System

P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
What has been your favorite drivers? :D

I like the RBH, but I think it has more to do with the overall design and not specifically the driver itself.
BG Radia's Planar Magnetic NEO3 & NEO8 my favorite tweeter/mid combo. It has all of the benefits of an electrostat but none of the drawbacks.

I will also say that since Induction Dynamics have switched to whatever soft dome/mid & crossover combo they are implementing into their new designs (instead of the inverted titanium from Focal) - I absolutely LOVE their speakers and they exhibit a lot of the traits found in the NEO3 that I find compelling. I find them to be absolutely incredible, actually.

I am holding off on bringing in the ID1 until the new soft dome is put into that model. This tweeter/mid/ woofer combo combined with the 10" woofers would provide an absolutely HUGE sound while keeping the detail and adding significant bass over the S1.8 & S1.8T. The problem with BG is that they have gaps in their model line when it comes to floor standers. It basically goes from $7000 a pair and then to $34,000 a pair. The ID1 is around $13,000 a set. So, to me, that's a value on the high end considering that they are somewhat similar.

P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
So how much does RBH want for the beryllium mid ranges? I'm guessing the crossover would need to be modified to accommodate a Be tweeter?
My "Forum Troll" self (LOL - I'm kidding, but not really - Dodgeball reference) did some discovery for you and found that the upgrade to beryllium for the 6 1/2" mids on the SX-8300/R is + $800 MSRP per pair.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BG Radia's Planar Magnetic NEO3 & NEO8 my favorite tweeter/mid combo. It has all of the benefits of an electrostat but none of the drawbacks.

I will also say that since Induction Dynamics have switched to whatever soft dome/mid & crossover combo they are implementing into their new designs (instead of the inverted titanium from Focal) - I absolutely LOVE their speakers and they exhibit a lot of the traits found in the NEO3 that I find compelling. I find them to be absolutely incredible, actually.

I am holding off on bringing in the ID1 until the new soft dome is put into that model. This tweeter/mid/ woofer combo combined with the 10" woofers would provide an absolutely HUGE sound while keeping the detail and adding significant bass over the S1.8 & S1.8T. The problem with BG is that they have gaps in their model line when it comes to floor standers. It basically goes from $7000 a pair and then to $34,000 a pair. The ID1 is around $13,000 a set. So, to me, that's a value on the high end considering that they are somewhat similar.
I think those drivers are top notch, but I also think that the overall design (bigger size, active bi-amp LFE, etc.) is just as important if not even more so.

My Philharmonic 3 tower has Neo8 and ribbon drivers BTW.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
LOL I love that last line. When my wife found out about the health risks of Be, I had to convince her that the odds of the drivers burning and turning to dust are very remote. It's worth the risk IMO, especially the tweeter. The drivers just ooze sexiness and performance with aplomb!
So Gene, whats the asking price for the upgrade?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Sure its not per pair of individual drivers? I know wholesale and retail vary significantly, but at $450 for a tweeter, with a significantly larger cone surface on a midrange; would that not add to the cost? Seems like a heck of a deal actually....

P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
So if the upgrade is $400 MSRP per speaker, how much do you think is the actual cost?

$50 per speaker? :D
Sure its not per pair of individual drivers? I know wholesale and retail vary significantly, but at $450 for a tweeter, with a significantly larger cone surface on a midrange; would that not add to the cost? Seems like a heck of a deal actually....
Was told by RBH that the $800 MSRP covers all 4 mids on a pair of SX-8300/R.

And no, not $50.... LOL!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Was told by RBH that the $800 MSRP covers all 4 mids on a pair of SX-8300/R.

And no, not $50.... LOL!
For 2 speakers, there are a total of 6 upgraded drivers going from SX-8300 to SX-8300/R: 2 Reference tweeters and 4 Reference Midrange woofers. So $800 MSRP for all six drivers does seem like a good deal.

P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
For 2 speakers, there are a total of 6 upgraded drivers going from SX-8300 to SX-8300/R: 2 Reference tweeters and 4 Reference Midrange woofers. So $800 MSRP for all six drivers does seem like a good deal.
The price I was listing was for the mids. I believe it's just a mid upgrade that's available on that speaker - at least, that's the pricing for the mid portion. Not sure about the tweeter.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The price I was listing was for the mids. I believe it's just a mid upgrade that's available on that speaker - at least, that's the pricing for the mid portion. Not sure about the tweeter.
You mean the upgrade from the proprietary aluminum midrange in the SX-8300 to the reference aluminum midrange in the SX-8300/R?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The /R upgrade also gets you the Scan Speak 9500 tweeter upgrade which retails for $125/ea and arguably one of the best dome tweeters ever made. This is a big step up in performance alone.

Last edited:
P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
You mean the upgrade from the proprietary aluminum midrange in the SX-8300 to the reference aluminum midrange in the SX-8300/R?
The /R upgrade also gets you the Scan Speak 9500 tweeter upgrade which retails for $125/ea and arguably one of the best dime tweeters ever made. This is a big step up in performance alone.
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear on my above statement. Gene, I was only referring to the upgrade from /R to beryllium mids as that was what Warrior (I believe).

To the best of my understanding (unless RBH/Status price sheets, inside sales, & websites are wrong - which isn't outside of the realm of possibility as miscommunication happens some times)...

There is the SX-8300 with an MSRP of $5,000/pair - Soft Dome Tweeter, Aluminum Mids, Aluminum Woofers

There is the SX-8300/R with an MSRP of $5900/pair - Scan Speak 9500 Tweeter upgrade, Reference ALUMINUM mid upgrade, Aluminum Woofers.

The difference there is an additional +$900

BUT, and, man - how cool would it be to remove somebody's "Troll" moniker on this one, there appears to be a 2nd upgrade hiding on the grassy knoll. That is the upgrade of JUST the Reference Aluminum mids in the SX-8300/R to Beryllium for an additional +$800 MSRP.

Unless RBH has the mid description wrong on all of their /R upgrades in their speakers or is failing to call them beryllium when they should be (while getting the Status Acoustics description correct), this is the case. Also, the price difference being an additional $800 for the beryllium specific upgrade, when the regular speaker to /R components upgrade is $900 says to me that I'm correct, unless they are only charging an additional $100 for the Scan Speak 9500 and will do it ala cart.... But that makes NO SENSE.

Hopefully that explains my thoughts a little better on the difference in models, upgrades, & pricing. Also, until the other day, I had no idea there was a separate beryllium upgrade available on the SX/R products. It was only after reading Gene's comments I inquired because a client considering the 8300/R (whom reads AH) wanted to know. I was incredibly specific when I asked the upgrade charge to beryllium mids on the SX-8300/R and relayed my response with the +$800 to the MSRP.

Hopefully I explained myself and my thinking a little better this time around.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Crystal!

I think the 8300R is a helluva design for the money. Its kind of a mini Status 8T if you add up the drivers. And to get that much punch out of 3 woofers and add Be drivers, thats a steal for a tenth of the 8T. If they would add the Illuminator Be tweeter, I'd have to question the extra dough for the 8T.... which is why I'm sure they'd never offer the upgrade. Give 'em a taste of Be and lure them in to second mortgage on their home....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear on my above statement. Gene, I was only referring to the upgrade from /R to beryllium mids as that was what Warrior (I believe).

To the best of my understanding (unless RBH/Status price sheets, inside sales, & websites are wrong - which isn't outside of the realm of possibility as miscommunication happens some times)...

There is the SX-8300 with an MSRP of $5,000/pair - Soft Dome Tweeter, Aluminum Mids, Aluminum Woofers

There is the SX-8300/R with an MSRP of $5900/pair - Scan Speak 9500 Tweeter upgrade, Reference ALUMINUM mid upgrade, Aluminum Woofers.

The difference there is an additional +$900

BUT, and, man - how cool would it be to remove somebody's "Troll" moniker on this one, there appears to be a 2nd upgrade hiding on the grassy knoll. That is the upgrade of JUST the Reference Aluminum mids in the SX-8300/R to Beryllium for an additional +$800 MSRP.

Unless RBH has the mid description wrong on all of their /R upgrades in their speakers or is failing to call them beryllium when they should be (while getting the Status Acoustics description correct), this is the case. Also, the price difference being an additional $800 for the beryllium specific upgrade, when the regular speaker to /R components upgrade is $900 says to me that I'm correct, unless they are only charging an additional $100 for the Scan Speak 9500 and will do it ala cart.... But that makes NO SENSE.

Hopefully that explains my thoughts a little better on the difference in models, upgrades, & pricing. Also, until the other day, I had no idea there was a separate beryllium upgrade available on the SX/R products. It was only after reading Gene's comments I inquired because a client considering the 8300/R (whom reads AH) wanted to know. I was incredibly specific when I asked the upgrade charge to beryllium mids on the SX-8300/R and relayed my response with the +$800 to the MSRP.

Hopefully I explained myself and my thinking a little better this time around.
Wow, I didn't know that was even an option.

So what do they call the SX-8300/R + Be upgrade?

Something like SX-8300/R/Be or Status SX-8300/R?

But that is really cool. Scan Speak Tweeter + Beryllium Midrange + Aluminum Woofer + Active Woofer Bi-amp capability = $6,700 MSRP (cheaper street price). Very nice. Definitely worth the $10K stereo system consideration IMO.

What about the SX-T1/R? Is there an option to upgrade to Be midrange as well?

That means the SX-T2/R + Be would have Scan Speak Tweeter + Berylliun Midrange + Reference Aluminum Woofer.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Crystal!

I think the 8300R is a helluva design for the money. Its kind of a mini Status 8T if you add up the drivers. And to get that much punch out of 3 woofers and add Be drivers, thats a steal for a tenth of the 8T. If they would add the Illuminator Be tweeter, I'd have to question the extra dough for the 8T.... which is why I'm sure they'd never offer the upgrade. Give 'em a taste of Be and lure them in to second mortgage on their home....
That is a great speaker but it's still not at the level of an 8T. The cabinetry of the 8T really makes a huge difference, not to mention the bigger 3 10" drivers with more cab space. The bass is epic in these speakers and unlike anything I've ever heard before.

Also they would never offer the Be Tweeter in these speakers, it's far too costly at $500/ea. That being said the 9500 is still a fabulous tweeter.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is a great speaker but it's still not at the level of an 8T. The cabinetry of the 8T really makes a huge difference, not to mention the bigger 3 10" drivers with more cab space. The bass is epic in these speakers and unlike anything I've ever heard before.

Also they would never offer the Be Tweeter in these speakers, it's far too costly at $500/ea. That being said the 9500 is still a fabulous tweeter.
Even if the SX-8300 has Be tweeter, Be midrange, and Ti woofer, it would still not be 100% 8T level.

So definitely not 100% Status Acoustics level, but mini-Status Acoustics level, which still puts it at very high level compared to some others. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Even if the SX-8300 has Be tweeter, Be midrange, and Ti woofer, it would still not be 100% 8T level.

So definitely not 100% Status Acoustics level, but mini-Status Acoustics level, which still puts it at very high level compared to some others. :D
Oh yea it is a killer tower for sure and definitely my recommendation for those that don't want to cough up $50k for the 8Ts. Plus they are easier to move :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh yea it is a killer tower for sure and definitely my recommendation for those that don't want to cough up $50k for the 8Ts. Plus they are easier to move :)
I concur. :D

I hope RBH comes out with a SX-T30SE. I really wanted to buy the T30 back then, but the boxy look just didn't work for me. But the SX-T30SE would work, especially with Be tweeter, Be midrange, and Ti woofers. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis