$1,500 5.1 Channel Expandable Recommended Home Theater System

C

cruzer

Enthusiast
stumbled across this article by audiohalics
but its a year old, so i would like to ask for help on the receiver part.

is the onkyo tx-sr494 still my best option? i notice it doesnt have dolby vision or hdr10. i just bought a tcl 75r635 that has dolby vision. i plan on just streaming the 4k content as i dont have a 4k blu ray.

is there something else it is missing i will need? i dont care about 8k or hdmi 2.1 etc. im fine saving money over things i dont need. i like the price but could go a littler higher if needed, but dont think i want to jump to $500-600 unless its something i have to have

thanks

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

is the onkyo tx-sr494 still my best option? i notice it doesnt have dolby vision or hdr10. i just bought a tcl 75r635 that has dolby vision. i plan on just streaming the 4k content as i dont have a 4k blu ray.

is there something else it is missing i will need? i dont care about 8k or hdmi 2.1 etc. im fine saving money over things i dont need. i like the price but could go a littler higher if needed, but dont think i want to jump to $500-600 unless its something i have to have

thanks
I think it’s safe to say that most members would recommend DMY for receivers.

D= Denon
M= Marantz
Y= Yamaha

Probably Sony after DMY. I think in general Onkyo/Pioneer are usually not recommended by members.

So DMY > SOP. :D

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic

thanks
I don't know if Onkyo is still a thing, since I don't see them much around. I would highly recommend a Yamaha to you. They sound so incredible, something like a proper hifi system. The Sound is so Powerful while being accurate. I never had such an experience, except one time at a retail store with Marantz.

Last edited:
S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
If you want a good amount of Bass, Yamaha has a feature called "Extra Bass" which makes your speaker output more bass.
Denon has LFE + Main for double bass, but that muddied the Bass a lot. Right now I'm listening to a CD and turning on the Extra bass has me liking the Yamaha even more.

But audition is the best thing to do before purchasing any Receiver.

I can only give you my opinions since I have owned both Denon & Yamaha.

C

cruzer

Enthusiast
i dont think i will be too picky on which, i think if features are the same price would be king
is there anything under $500 from those brands that fit the bill?
quickly searching im only finding
yamaha rx-v6a $550
denon avr-s750h $500

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have a Denon X3400H with RSL speakers and it's excellent sounding. Audyssey XT32 is pretty awesome at what it does.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

K

Kbweaver

Audiophyte
i dont think i will be too picky on which, i think if features are the same price would be king
is there anything under $500 from those brands that fit the bill?
quickly searching im only finding
yamaha rx-v6a $550
denon avr-s750h $500
The Yamaha Rx-v6a is identical to the Yamaha TSR-700 at Costco, which is currently discounted online to $329.99. At that price point it appears to offer a lot of bang for the buck. I’ll post a review after I receive mine next week.

C

cruzer

Enthusiast
The Yamaha Rx-v6a is identical to the Yamaha TSR-700 at Costco, which is currently discounted online to $329.99. At that price point it appears to offer a lot of bang for the buck. I’ll post a review after I receive mine next week.
im not a member :(

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
I think it’s safe to say that most members would recommend DMY for receivers.

D= Denon
M= Marantz
Y= Yamaha

Probably Sony after DMY. I think in general Onkyo/Pioneer are usually not recommended by members.

So DMY > SOP. :D
Sonys are generally good for their price. I wouldn't underestimate them against any denon for sure.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The Yamaha at Costco is by far the best deal out right now under $400. $329 no brainer

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
So many compromises to get to $1500. Makes me wonder how it would sound? Many of us have $1500+ just in our subs. :rolleyes:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
So many compromises to get to $1500. Makes me wonder how it would sound? Many of us have $1500+ just in our subs. :rolleyes:
The Ascend Acoustics system I linked would sound incredible. Add a sub like the Speedwoofer or PB-2000. Walla!!!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The Ascend Acoustics system I linked would sound incredible. Add a sub like the Speedwoofer or PB-2000. Walla!!!
I agree with this. Ascend is kinda hard to beat.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just means we're somewhat spoiled? I think a $1500 system as suggested will sound pretty good....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
How would the CMT-340m compare to the new BMR if you could switch between them side by side?

Having never heard the Philharmonic I can't say with any educated response how they would sound against each other. But having heard the 340's and having heard speakers with ribbon tweeters. I would make an educated guess that the Philharmonic's would be more detailed. Just my opinion but the ribbon tweeter brings out more content in the recording that is Audible

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Having never heard the Philharmonic I can't say with any educated response how they would sound against each other. But having heard the 340's and having heard speakers with ribbon tweeters. I would make an educated guess that the Philharmonic's would be more detailed. Just my opinion but the ribbon tweeter brings out more content in the recording that is Audible
Did you indicate earlier that you had the Sierra Towers with RAAL 70-20? If so, how would you compare the CMT-340m sound to your Sierra Towers? Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That Ascent 5.0 would be hard to beat, but yet I'd offer an alternative package:
specifically hybrid 2.5 5.1 package
It would be a great fit for HT in rooms between 3k and 5k ft^3, just add a receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis