Time to buy a gun ... again

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
NOT A GLOCK, say it ain't so, Paradigmdawg, say it ain't so...

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
What say you experts out there? I can no longer use my long gun mounting shoulder. (Long story.) So what's your opinion...beat the crap out of my arm with an odd, bicep mount, but still use my dominant eye and side, or learn to use my off shoulder and weak eye? Arms include 12 ga., .223, and 30-06. :confused: :(

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I still only have one pistol and it's way too fat for me to conceal (i've tried). One of these days I'll buy something nice and slim :D
It's much tougher to conceal for us TX guys. We tend to wear much lighter clothes year-round so you need something smaller and easier to conceal. The northerners have the bulky clothes to help conceal a lot better.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I just treated myself to a Glock G26 today. I deserved it....:D
Congrats :D

It's much tougher to conceal for us TX guys. We tend to wear much lighter clothes year-round so you need something smaller and easier to conceal. The northerners have the bulky clothes to help conceal a lot better.
I'm hoping something small and slim like a Kahr CM9 or S&W M&P Shield won't be too difficult to conceal. I've tried to carry my XDM but it's just too fat. My mostly small body and mostly slim fitting clothes don't help much either.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats :D

I'm hoping something small and slim like a Kahr CM9 or S&W M&P Shield won't be too difficult to conceal. I've tried to carry my XDM but it's just too fat. My mostly small body and mostly slim fitting clothes don't help much either.
Yeah, I have a S&W Airweight that is a pretty good carry revolver.

The XD is kind of large for carrying in TX. I do REALLY like the Springfield EMP, but it is kind of pricey.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've had my Shield 9MM on order for a year and still no sign of it. Some are out there, but with the recall, they're now saying early next year before they really see shelves. That's why I bought my Kahr CW9. Plus the CW cost less :) My Shield is still on order though :D So far, really liking the CW9.

Shot my buddy's Glock 46 on Friday and I liked it.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
What say you experts out there? I can no longer use my long gun mounting shoulder. (Long story.) So what's your opinion...beat the crap out of my arm with an odd, bicep mount, but still use my dominant eye and side, or learn to use my off shoulder and weak eye? Arms include 12 ga., .223, and 30-06. :confused: :(

Buy a new shotgun and replace the 30 ot with something a little more forgiving, the 223 is ez on the shoulder so that should be fine... Its hard to learn how to shoot all over again once you already know.... As some of you know my shoulder is in really rough shape and I can shoot my beretta {so its not a really affordable shotgun, lol} a400 all day, just make sure you get the beretta with the KO system, its really soft on the shoulder, I have 3 of them....

for the 30-06 you can get low recoil loads, change the stock, weight the rifle a little different and get them to shoot mild vs wild... What rifle is it and what do you hunt with it and from how far? Im sure there is another cartridge with less recoil that will do the job...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can get low recoil shot for the 12ga as well, though again, depends on what you need to do with it. I added an additional gel recoil pad that slips over the existing buttpad on the recommendation of a buddy and it really does help, plus you can use it on the rifle too.

Amazon.com: Gel Filled Recoil Pads: Sports & Outdoors

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
when i tried the glocks in store, i didn't like the grip, it hurt my hand with the corners.

the xd was a good fit, but if i could do it over (polymer SA) ... i would look at the IWI Jericho because of the slide safety.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Most comfortable grip to me is the M&P, which is one of the main reasons why I chose it. We picked up a full size XD for her and I don't mind it at all. Not entirely fond of the Glock grip either; it is similar to, but wider than the XD to me.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
You can get low recoil shot for the 12ga as well, though again, depends on what you need to do with it. I added an additional gel recoil pad that slips over the existing buttpad on the recommendation of a buddy and it really does help, plus you can use it on the rifle too.

Amazon.com: Gel Filled Recoil Pads: Sports & Outdoors
Thanks for this link, John. I might get a couple to try for strong-side 'arm' shooting. Thanks too to you, IcmLoud, but the left shoulder cannot take even reduced impact. Probably a .22 is the most my shoulder can handle. I have a 12 ga. wire sewn into my subclavian vein in the left (stong side) shoulder, just below the clavicle...exactly where I would mount a long gun. I cannot risk tearing it free.

It's really just a choice between bicep mounting on the strong side or learning to shoot with the weak, right-side eye. I thought red dot optics might help on that front. Dunno. Handguns are not a problem. Perhaps it's time to sell all the big pieces and go with Desert Eagles and Model 29's.......

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The recoil pad helps, but a 12ga still lets you know it's there, so not sure how much help that will be. The Beretta might be an option, but not an inexpensive one. I think there's one or two other manufacturers who've done something like that as well.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The recoil pad helps, but a 12ga still lets you know it's there, so not sure how much help that will be. The Beretta might be an option, but not an inexpensive one. I think there's one or two other manufacturers who've done something like that as well.

j i have tried the other options the a400 ko stock i the best i ever used you feel almost nothing...

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
+1

To each his own, but I much prefer the Springfield XD line over the Glock.

My brother has a Springfield XD and it got recalled. Oops...

I've shot them little guns for CC, but I struggle to shoot them worth a crap. They are just so small and light that I have a hard time putting rounds through them. Give me a Colt Goldcup or a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Long Colt and I can shoot them for hours.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

I've shot them little guns for CC, but I struggle to shoot them worth a crap. They are just so small and light that I have a hard time putting rounds through them. Give me a Colt Goldcup or a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Long Colt and I can shoot them for hours.

A lot of guns get "recalled" that is a common lately, Im pretty sure they recalled ever glock gen since the beginning , lol A know they had recalled the gen 4's a couple times... I never seen a 1911 get recalled...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

A small, short barrel, light CC firearm isn't typically going to be super accurate and that isn't exactly what they're intended to. It is for shorter distances with larger "objects". So as long as you can hit something the size of an assailant, you're getting the job done.

Firearm companies aren't taking any chances with the litigious nature of society these days, whether or not the issue is a true safety issue, so you have recalls.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis