Finally coming together

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I will take you up on that soon. Thank you by the way you have 9.2 right?

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Fuzz does the heat from your components ever trick the thermostat , that looks like a plasma? I know they get warm, mounted a few feet away on a common normally causes issues... plus the heat rising from the components?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Fuzz does the heat from your components ever trick the thermostat , that looks like a plasma? I know they get warm, mounted a few feet away on a common normally causes issues... plus the heat rising from the components?
It does and it doesn't. The place is so small that with the heat from the components, TV, and projector that in the summer the A/C has to be on 24/7. In the winter it gets worse. The attic is insulated pretty well, but there's no floor insulation so there's usually about a 8-10 degree difference between the floor and the ceiling, with the entire place being heated by the components. With the open face of the entertainment center plus all those fans the air circulates pretty well away from the entertainment center and the thermostat.

Oh yea, I should also mention that our boiler crapped out very early this past spring and was somewhat sketchy before that so we had been heating with space heaters anyways.

Good times :rolleyes: :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Time for a boiler, space heaters are dangerous and costly to operate.... What do you have for fuel? Oil, natural, LP? and what kind of emitters? Baseboard, duct work, radiators?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Time for a boiler, space heaters are dangerous and costly to operate.... What do you have for fuel? Oil, natural, LP? and what kind of emitters? Baseboard, duct work, radiators?
The last one was oil, but I'm pretty sure my old man doesn't want to go that way again (we rent from him, well sort of). I'm not sure what he was looking to get, or if we'll have to just ride it out for another winter. Baseboard.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The last one was oil, but I'm pretty sure my old man doesn't want to go that way again (we rent from him, well sort of). I'm not sure what he was looking to get, or if we'll have to just ride it out for another winter. Baseboard.
Well if you ever need advice on the topic, feel free to ask... Natural gas Triangle tube prestige boiler with a taco hec2 circulator on each zone piped primary secondary using purge tees, would e a good start..

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well if you ever need advice on the topic, feel free to ask... Natural gas Triangle tube prestige boiler with a taco hec2 circulator on each zone piped primary secondary using purge tees, would e a good start..
I'm sure I'll need your advice someday, but as my Dad's friend (who is a carpenter) said about where we're living "If I were you I'd just burn it down." So I don't think all that stuff is an option just yet :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hooked the Phils and the Salk up to the main setup and just got Abbado conducts Mahler Symphonies 1-7 on Blu-ray.

And it looks like I did well. According to Blu-ray.com it would seem the box set contains a redone 2nd and 4th audio mix, which improved upon the standalone versions. I can definitely see why TLS uses the opening of the 5th to demo his system. WOW.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm really pissed at you now.:mad::(
Hehe, the quality if the BD's is simply awesome and even though the surrounds don't match the front soundstage, to my ears, it isn't holding anything back. I've got the Phil's running full range and the center/surrounds crossed over at 80hz. The sound is rich and full, the soundstage tall and wide, and the imaging precise. The only thing that takes some getting used to is the camera angles changing while the audio stays anchored at the mics. It can make the video and audio seem almost out of sync, at least to me, until you get your head wrapped around it.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Hooked the Phils and the Salk up to the main setup and just got Abbado conducts Mahler Symphonies 1-7 on Blu-ray.

And it looks like I did well. According to Blu-ray.com it would seem the box set contains a redone 2nd and 4th audio mix, which improved upon the standalone versions. I can definitely see why TLS uses the opening of the 5th to demo his system. WOW.

75.00 for the Mahler blu ray? Ouch! Worth it ?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
75.00 for the Mahler blu ray? Ouch! Worth it ?
Well to be fair, if you don't buy the box set I believe you have to buy each symphony on a separate BD which would come to $140-175 and I believe I paid Amazon $68/69, not that any of it is cheap. IMHO, if you enjoy classical music, especially really really well recorded and performed classical music, the price is a pittance for what you get, especially since the box set has all the best audio mixes from the performance (apparently there were a couple of them that had lesser quality or slightly compressed dynamic range if you bought the individual BD's).

It won't be for everyone and a person's own equipment may also end being a limiting factor (not that I expect that to be a problem around here) so I'll throw my full recommendation of the box set in alongside TLSguy's for any classical music lovers. I've watched Symphonies 1 and 5 so far and I doubt 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7 will disappoint.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Template time! What a time to find out my router jig can't cut a circle with under an inch radius.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Drill press with hole saw or a high quality bit for that size.. Round over is a different story though but I'm thinking about it :)
cheers, Mac

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Drill press?
Ain't got one, so I ended up buying the Dewalt Hole saw kit, which should keep me pretty square (I hope). I guess we'll see how steady my hands are.

[video=youtube_share;Mzcgyk62cHU]http://youtu.be/Mzcgyk62cHU[/video]

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis