PSB T5, B6, C5 vs old T45 and C40

D

dnadrifter

Audiophyte
I am considering making some changes to my front speakers due to wanting to conserve some floor space in my family room. It isn't an ideal room configuration with the TV in the corner and non-perfect speaker placement. I have a Denon 891/2311 driving them in a 3.1 setup right now. The new left would go on a shelf and the new right and center would be on a shelf above the TV.

I currently have 9 yr old T45s and a C40. How much different, (or better or worse) would going with B6s and a C4 be compared to the older speakers. I also have S10 dipoles in the garage.

I am also considering Ascend Sierra-1s. (Basically, I want to get rid of the big towers and have a matched center) Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated for this noob.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I prefer the sierras to everything you listed, I think its time for a demo, if you are sure you will like them {no sending back bstock,} they have a set in bstock B-Stock Items: Ascend Direct to save a few bucks... $1226 vs $1454
[SIZE=-1]9SRM1GE2BS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sierra-1 pair, gloss espresso (B-STOCK)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$834.24[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$834.24[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]9SRM1GE1BS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sierra-1 center, gloss espresso (B-STOCK)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$420.64[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$420.64[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Loudspeaker Package Discount:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]($28.00)[/SIZE]
Total:$1,226.88

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dnadrifter

Audiophyte
I prefer the sierras to everything you listed, I think its time for a demo, if you are sure you will like them {no sending back bstock,} they have a set in bstock B-Stock Items: Ascend Direct to save a few bucks... $1226 vs $1454
[SIZE=-1]9SRM1GE2BS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sierra-1 pair, gloss espresso (B-STOCK)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$834.24[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$834.24[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]9SRM1GE1BS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sierra-1 center, gloss espresso (B-STOCK)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$420.64[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$420.64[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Loudspeaker Package Discount:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]($28.00)[/SIZE]
Total:$1,226.88

<tbody>
</tbody>
Thanks for the reply. I was leaning toward the sierras, but wasn't sure with my non-ideal set up and my non-audiophile ears if they would really make a difference.

Another option would just be to move my towers to two large speaker holes I have in my builit in cabinet....then buy a new C4 center and be done with it for a lot less money. It is hard for me to judge how good my center is right now...I have never felt that dialogue was all that clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The problem is, speaker placement is just as important as speaker quality, so if you toss a speaker that is supposed to be 2 ft off the rear wall into a cabinet you can end up with a good sounding speaker that sounds bad... I like bookshelfs and the Sierra 1's {regular tweeter} are very capable, they are warm defined and have a really nice sound stage when used as l c r, they are relatively easy to power and they do a great job with dialog... But the placement and setup is going to be key..

A friend of mine had a real nice set of bookshelfs with a matching center {paradigm}, he used to come over and rave about the sound of my Ascend 340 front end, His bookshelfs cost 3 times what my ascends did and have a really good reputation.. So I told him it has to be something in your setup, the next time I went over I brought my DB meter and set his system up from scratch manually. Nothing fancy I crossed his fronts around 110 hz, setup all the levels with my meter and a tape measure, then played some material to fine tune it, ended up running his center and sub a little hotter than the rest of the system... The end result was night and day, he had done the built in room/mic setup multiple times and it never sounded good, could have been from anything, a bad mic, putting the mic on pillows, ect.. but it didn't do the system justice... He was on the verge of getting a new system and after 30 minutes of setup, he was in love with what he had... Kind of upset that all this time he was struggling to make out dialog because his fronts where crossed wrong and left and right were running way too hot drowning out the centers voice, and his sub was also plugged in wrong with no splitter, which we fixed {some subs sound much better with l and r plugged in}...

But anyway, the ascends are a really nice speaker, I can not see you bein sorry about the purchase...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I am considering making some changes to my front speakers due to wanting to conserve some floor space in my family room. It isn't an ideal room configuration with the TV in the corner and non-perfect speaker placement. I have a Denon 891/2311 driving them in a 3.1 setup right now. The new left would go on a shelf and the new right and center would be on a shelf above the TV.

I currently have 9 yr old T45s and a C40. How much different, (or better or worse) would going with B6s and a C4 be compared to the older speakers. I also have S10 dipoles in the garage.

I am also considering Ascend Sierra-1s. (Basically, I want to get rid of the big towers and have a matched center) Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated for this noob.
You need to audition for yourself and compare the Sierra side by side with the new PSBs. They are both excellent speakers with excellent measurements both on and off axis. . I still have my T45s and they won't be replaced anytime soon because I like them that much.

D

dnadrifter

Audiophyte
You need to audition for yourself and compare the Sierra side by side with the new PSBs. They are both excellent speakers with excellent measurements both on and off axis. . I still have my T45s and they won't be replaced anytime soon because I like them that much.
Curious if you think the new SVS Ultra Bookshelves are in the same range quality/performance wise as the sierras and PSBs. I only ask because they have the 45 trial offer with free shipping both ways, so I could try them out in my room and at least try them out compared to my T45 setup.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Curious if you think the new SVS Ultra Bookshelves are in the same range quality/performance wise as the sierras and PSBs. I only ask because they have the 45 trial offer with free shipping both ways, so I could try them out in my room and at least try them out compared to my T45 setup.
Loudspeakers are so subjective because everyone hears sound slightly differently. What I may think is perfect could be perfect, flat and dull, or fatiguingly bright to you. I would say that the Sierras and PSB quality are comparable. I would take advantage of the free trial if I were you.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Back in the day...I compared the Psb T45's and Energy RC30's directly at a local dealer. And the most noticable difference for me was the in the upper region because the RC's...it seemed more pin point accurate whereas the Psb had a veiled approach. Now...fast forward a few years. I had the opportunity to directly compared my current speakers(the RC's) to the Sierra 1 NrTs in home and for the same reason why I elected to go with the Rc's a few years back... I decided to move to the Ascends and sold the Energies. I know everybody has personal preferences, likes & dislikes.... but its just my opinion...if your looking for something different over your Psbs the Ascends are the way to go. They're several accounts of members who when from either the Energy Rc's or Psb Image series to the Sierras and thought it was a step up at least the NrT anyways. Here is a review which likely sold me....fwiw.:) http://byrneweb.com/sunburn/blog/2010/06/14/ascend-acoustics-sierra-1-initial-reactions/ & later this... Sierra-1 NrT Upgrade Review

Last edited:
D

dnadrifter

Audiophyte
Loudspeakers are so subjective because everyone hears sound slightly differently. What I may think is perfect could be perfect, flat and dull, or fatiguingly bright to you. I would say that the Sierras and PSB quality are comparable. I would take advantage of the free trial if I were you.
Thanks. I understand, but from my inexperienced perspective I don't know much about speakers and am looking for input. I guess, what I am wondering is if all the speakers I am discussing in the same league. As someone inexperienced, all I have to go on is price. While I agree with your statement, but there is obviously going to be a difference in $100 speakers that came in a sears jvc boxed system, a pair of speakers in the 300-1000 range, and speakers that cost $3500. I probably could even hear that difference. I guess what i am afraid of is buying a speaker for say $350 or $700 that is not regarded as a quality speaker, despite whatever the individual characteristics are that differentiate them from each other. There is a lot to choose from in this price range.

What it comes down to is, this isn't really a hobby for me. I know I want sound better than $100 speakers, but I don't really have the time to audition speakers or go around to every AV shop in the area to listen to everything. Its okay if I don't get the absolute best speaker for me for the $500 or whatever I am going to spend....I just don't want to pick out a known bad or mediocre one if everyone "in the know" would recommend or something else is better. Maybe everything I am looking at is okay, and it won't really matter what I pick.

I hope I am not coming off as argumentative....just trying to convey where I am in the process. I do appreciate you taking the time to post and share your thoughts.

D

dnadrifter

Audiophyte
Back in the day...I compared the Psb T45's and Energy RC30's directly at a local dealer. And the most noticable difference for me was the in the upper region because the RC's...it seemed more pin point accurate whereas the Psb had a veiled approach. Now...fast forward a few years. I had the opportunity to directly compared my current speakers(the RC's) to the Sierra 1 NrTs in home and for the same reason why I elected to go with the Rc's a few years back... I decided to move to the Ascends and sold the Energies. I know everybody has personal preferences, likes & dislikes.... but its just my opinion...if your looking for something different over your Psbs the Ascends are the way to go. They're several accounts of members who when from either the Energy Rc's or Psb Image series to the Sierras and thought it was a step up at least the NrT anyways. Here is a review which likely sold me....fwiw.:) Raised Weird » Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Initial Reactions & later this... Sierra-1 NrT Upgrade Review
Thanks for your opinion and the links. It is much appreciated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis