SVS SB12 NSD Thoughts?

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
I am very interested in buying this subwoofer for my apartment, but I haven't heard many people buying them. I see people generally go for the ported offerings.

Any people here that own the SB12 NSD? If so, how do you find the performance for movies and music?

I saw these measurements taken here : Data-Bass

Is the performance good, average or mediocre for the price? What are your thoughts? Thanks.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
SVS makes some of the best subs and SB12 NSD is great little sub and it may or may not be good choice for you.

Whats the total room volume including any open spaces and rooms?
What will be the typically usage for sub?
and what is your top budget for this purchase?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's a clean sub, but it's not a very loud sub. It might be good for an apartment where you can't have loud bass anyway. I wouldn't want to try to use it to pressurize a large room. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to try to pressurize a large room in an apartment anyway.

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
The SB12-NSD is very popular with our apartment dwelling customers. It strikes a great combination of sound quality, output and compact size which is well suited for this type of application. Typical playback level in these environments is moderate to moderately loud, and the SB12-NSD will easily keep up without dominating the decor or taking up too much floor space (which is usually at a premium in apartments).

T

TheStalker

Banned
And as far as sealed subs go, I don't think you can find anything better for under $700.

D

darcyb62

Audiophyte
I just ordered one yesterday. I wasn't really sure I wanted or needed. Their wizard didn't have the speakers use listed so I sent them a quick email outlining room, listening bias (ie 80% music) and this is the sub they recommended so I thought I would listen to them and give it a try. If it doesn't work I can send it back and try something else.

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
BoredSysAdmin said:
Whats the total room volume including any open spaces and rooms?
Room size is 10 x 4 meters. It's open plan. I'll either have the subwoofer positioned in front, next to the main speakers, or beside the couch. I figure that having the sub beside the couch would allow me to turn the gain down while giving me improved tactile sensation when the low bass starts.

What will be the typically usage for sub?
50/50 movies and music.

and what is your top budget for this purchase?
Top budget? Around $700 is the max I'm willing to spend.

I don't seem to hear many customers post online about their SB1000 or SB12 subs, but perhaps I'm just not looking hard enough. I think the majority of SVS owners go for the PB1000 or the PB12 or bigger ported subs, so the smaller sealed units don't get as much attention.

I would love to be able to feel 20 Hz output with this subwoofer, but I know I also have to be realistic. I'm in a 2 bedroom flat. I listen to all kinds of music, so that is important to me as well.

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
darcyb62 said:
I just ordered one yesterday. I wasn't really sure I wanted or needed. Their wizard didn't have the speakers use listed so I sent them a quick email outlining room, listening bias (ie 80% music) and this is the sub they recommended so I thought I would listen to them and give it a try. If it doesn't work I can send it back and try something else.
Everything I've read so far indicates this subwoofer performs very well for music, which is partly why I am so interested in it. The other, is because it is an SVS subwoofer. :) So based on reputation, movies should sound pretty good as well. Plus it looks nice.

But the more impressions there are, the better. Looking forward to hearing all about it once you get the sub in!

D Bone

D Bone

Audioholic Intern
I'm joining this thread as I am also in the SB12 market for a rather large 23 x 16 x vaulted ceiling room that opens into another room and have WAF restraints as well as placement and budget limitations. The helpful rep ast SVS assured me this sub would not disappoint, but I just want to be sure........My wife hates the "fuzzy trashcan" cylinder. lol

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Room size is 10 x 4 meters. It's open plan. I'll either have the subwoofer positioned in front, next to the main speakers, or beside the couch. I figure that having the sub beside the couch would allow me to turn the gain down while giving me improved tactile sensation when the low bass starts.

50/50 movies and music.

Top budget? Around $700 is the max I'm willing to spend.

I don't seem to hear many customers post online about their SB1000 or SB12 subs, but perhaps I'm just not looking hard enough. I think the majority of SVS owners go for the PB1000 or the PB12 or bigger ported subs, so the smaller sealed units don't get as much attention.

I would love to be able to feel 20 Hz output with this subwoofer, but I know I also have to be realistic. I'm in a 2 bedroom flat. I listen to all kinds of music, so that is important to me as well.
This is my recommendation: SVS PC12-NSD or Rythmik LV12R - rear vented HT sub

You need to learn to stop worrying and love the (well done) ported sub designs

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Yeah, for me, size is an issue. I probably could get away with a PB1000 subwoofer, but it's just so damn big. :D I want something that looks good and is small, but can still deliver the goods for movies and music. I haven't used a subwoofer in a few years, so I guess anything will be a big upgrade, especially an SVS sub. :)

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
BoredSysAdmin said:
You need to learn to stop worrying and love the (well done) ported sub designs
It's not that I am concerned about the quality of ported subwoofers. Size is a factor for me, plus the fact I'm in an apartment, otherwise I would get dual PB12's and call it a day. :D I'm sure the big ported subs will not disappoint, especially for movies, but that PB12 sub is HUGE. It would stick out like a sore thumb in my living room, plus the WAF would be rock bottom, at least as far as mine is concerned.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's not that I am concerned about the quality or lack thereof of ported subwoofers. I'm sure the big ported subs will not disappoint, especially for movies, but that PB12 sub is HUGE. It would stick out like a sore thumb in my living room, plus the WAF would be rock bottom, at least as far as mine is concerned.
PC12, not pb12. Stick it in the corner and call it a support column :)

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Boredsysadmin said:
Stick it in the corner and call it a support column
Thanks for the suggestion, but my wife would never accept a black support column. :D Took a look and it's just ... it just looks horrible to me. No offense to anyone, it's just my opinion but that's a no-no for me. I need a subwoofer that is compact and can be hidden.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, you save on floor space, but then you SEE it :) At first it is the elephant in the room kind of, but after a few weeks, you won't even notice it. Everyone else who sees it for the first time will though... With my Tempest I used to get "Why do you have a water heater in your living room?" all the time :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well, you save on floor space, but then you SEE it :) At first it is the elephant in the room kind of, but after a few weeks, you won't even notice it. Everyone else who sees it for the first time will though... With my Tempest I used to get "Why do you have a water heater in your living room?" all the time :D
This is the issue with my next build. I want an RE Audio XXX 18, but the box has to be massive. What will people say about me?

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Wow! Your sub is absolutely massive! I would be kicked out the house if I had a sub like that. I'm sure it sounds and performs brilliantly though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If I recall correctly, it was 51" and ~18" in diameter (15" driver), but since it is just mainly cardboard, it was very light. Was serious about the water heater comment :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis