fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thought I would build a sub for my computer setup. Eventually I'd like to add a second one so I have one for each monitor. My lovely lady bought me the driver for our anniversary. The driver is a CSS SDX10 and it will be going in less than a cubic foot of airspace. I believe the dimensions came out to about 12.5 x 12.5 x 10.5. I just got the driver today so now I'll be able to figure out bracing and what kind of space I'll have in there. It modeled well in bassbox pro and should be able to get pretty loud, but we'll see what it looks like with distortion. I have high hopes for it with the XBL motor since the thing feels like a cinder block.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
"Baby Boomer", not a bad name at all.

I think my favorite yet was over on PE. Subs designed to go behind a couch called the "Boogie Man"

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Straight out of the box, no break in, close mic.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Got the last joint glued and clamped. Once that dries I'll bring the driver down and do a dry fit to see what kind of room I'm working with for stuffing and bracing. Given the size of the box I'm guessing I'll probably be doing an H style bracing so it doesn't take up much airspace.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am confused what is the graph above from then I assume you are still in process of building the box? Just straight from driver open air?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I am confused what is the graph above from then I assume you are still in process of building the box? Just straight from driver open air?
Correct. It's just a habit now that I check every driver to make sure the FR looks like it's supposed to open air before I start building the box. I usually take a couple measurements close mic'ed and then run sweeps, tones and CEA bursts (since REW added them) and then take another close mic measurement to make sure everything seems kosher. All of this is done at 2.83V or less.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, I see. So running 0-100Hz at 50 db scale graph is too early, right? I mean who cares is sub plays to 1khz typically :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, I see. So running 0-100Hz at 50 db scale graph is too early, right? I mean who cares is sub plays to 1khz typically :)
The only reason I played it up that high was to see what it's high frequency potential could be. It's only a 10 incher so I was wondering what it might look like as a woofer where it might get crossed as high as 200+hz and would then need a smooth response to at least 800hz. I would still need distortion and off axis measurements, but from what I took it looks like setting things up for those measurements could at least be interesting. I can't leave well enough alone :D

My plan is to get another one eventually so I can have one for each monitor and then use a miniDSP to cross the monitors over to them. I don't know where the crossover point would be, but it's nice to know I have a wide area where I can cross and have smooth response 2-4 oct above. Once I get it in the box I'll have a better idea just how high it'll go for sure, but so far with the open air measurement it looks good.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Correct. It's just a habit now that I check every driver to make sure the FR looks like it's supposed to open air before I start building the box. I usually take a couple measurements close mic'ed and then run sweeps, tones and CEA bursts (since REW added them) and then take another close mic measurement to make sure everything seems kosher. All of this is done at 2.83V or less.
How did you get into this habbit? Did you learn the hard way? Driver out of spec right out of the box?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I had two drivers from different places come, one was out of spec and one had an issue with the VC. I noticed the out of spec driver because it didn't measure as it should have once it was in the box and the other one was that first subwoofer. If I had tested the sub before I built the box I would have known something was up and I wouldn't have had a gigantic empty box sitting in the middle of my living room for a month and a half. So now I test it all, since it doesn't take long and is easy to do.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Getting the back on. The front is just on for some clamping area. Tomorrow I'll bring the box up and drop the driver in for a dry fit. It doesn't look like there's enough room to do the bracing I was thinking of, but I have a new idea that should work

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Made a little progress today, nothing picture worthy. Started putting the bracing in, nothing extravagant especially since after lining the walls with rock wool it should be pretty dead in there. Just adding a little rigidity to the box. Gluing and waiting, gluing and waiting, then a little more gluing and waiting. DIY is so exciting :p :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nice job with the miter cuts. The name of your sub implies that it will be eligible to collect social security soon. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That's a really good looking box. Great woodwork. I'll have to swing by your place when I get my 24" driver so I can let you loose on a box for that!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
A 24" driver? Sounds like a project I'd love to tackle :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Here's the bracing so far. There will be a little bit more, then lining the walls, then getting the internal front baffle pieces glued and finally dry fit the front baffle. Hopefully by then the terminal cup will be here and I'll be ready for a test. If the test goes well then I'll glue on the front baffle and get to work on the outer front baffle and trim and I'll be halfway home.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
All of your DIY skills are making me jealous. When I work with wood all I end up with are splinters and a whole lot of frustration.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
All of your DIY skills are making me jealous. When I work with wood all I end up with are splinters and a whole lot of frustration.
The photographing is better than the woodworking. I use the photographing to hide all the imperfections in the woodworking :p :D

Next step is to learn how to veneer. I may give that a run on baby boomer's fraternal twin.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis