Best pair of speakers around $1K with solid state Yamaha AVR?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I would look for a used sub from Rythmik, HSU, SVS, PSA, Outlaw, etc, and forget about subs from DefTech, KEF, or any BM brands.
I’d have to say that the Rythmik Audio F12 SE & the SVSSB-1000 from my initial research are the most appealing to me; aesthetically and spec wise. I just have to get over the price hump or just continue to peruse the usual sites to get them at a lower price. I noticed that Velodyne wasn't on your list, which kind of surprised me.

Last edited by a moderator:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I’d have to say that the Rythmik Audio F12 SE & the SVSSB-1000 from my initial research are the most appealing to me; aesthetically and spec wise. I just have to get over the price hump or just continue to peruse the usual sites to get them at a lower price. I noticed that Velodyne wasn't on your list, which kind of surprised me.
What is the sub budget?

SVS pretty much always has B stock. Hsu also has B stock pretty often.

Also, parts express has some decent simple kits if you ever thought about DIY
I can't say I've ever heard them, but might be worth considering
Dayton Audio C1500K 15" Powered Subwoofer Kit 300-770

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
The budget is around $350, with the emphasis on matching a pair of KEF LS50's for 90% listening to music.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the higher-end Velodyne would be good, but the price would be above budget.

A used HSU, Rythmik, SVS, Outlaw, PSA for $350 may still be great. For example, I sold my $1100 Rythmik for $550.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
For that price, maybe an Outlaw M8?
The price is right but it's a down-firing driver and so is my current Athena P1, so I feel it won't work in the room. Mostly because of the limited space for dispersion. There is a large 6'x8' L-shaped desk, a 6' credenza, 4' filing cabinet & 3' bookcase and office cabinets along 2 walls. I feel a forward-firing sub would work better.

I am picky when it comes to a music sub.. At that budget its tough, I think the cheapest one I have heard that I like for music is the svs small sealed sub for $499, then next would be the uls15 (my favorite music sub)... Both are over your budget
I agree; hence my search will be directed in the used market.

I think the higher-end Velodyne would be good, but the price would be above budget.

A used HSU, Rythmik, SVS, Outlaw, PSA for $350 may still be great. For example, I sold my $1100 Rythmik for $550.
I may have no choice but wait for the used market to meet me halfway on the Rythmik Audio F12SE or SVS SB-1000. I would rather wait and get something I will be happy with, instead of rushing to buy something I'd regret. Hell it took a year and a half just to decide to purchase the LS50's. Another 6 months to a year won't kill me. I could also be devious and start putting out the word to my kids on what I want for Christmas. After all those awful sweaters, ties, suspenders and what-not, it's the least they can do. :D

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Jack & The Beanstalk

On my way to finding a great sub for the LS50’s everything went terribly wrong in a good way. First I win a bid for a used Velodyne DLS-3500r. Great, this will get me by until I can find a used SVS SB-1000 at my budget. Meanwhile back at the ranch I go to the SVS site and use the Merlin matching sub wizard for the LS50’s and it tells me the PB-12-NSD is their recommendation. WHAT!!! It’s huge; end table hugeat half the height. In a 14’x14’ room? I don’t stink so. Coincidently on this site a member is selling his. And now the wheels start churning. What can it hurt to look/listen? A little jaunt out to the Lehigh area, a mere hour away, in the country. Suspicion confirmed, quite sizable but great articulate sub; perfect for my Focal mains in the LivRm with the beryllium tweeter, I’m thinking. We shake hands and have a couple good laughs … thank you Matt …and its home to face the Dept. of War. She’s got her game face on … a sweet smile with those piercing blue eyes … and the jousting begins. While she provides commentary I hook it up. The commentary stops and the sweet smile fades. Victory!!! But I’m not out of the woods yet. The other sub is due in Tuesday … clandestine measures will need to be implemented moving forward to get off this beanstalk. :rolleyes:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Final update on the status of The Fortress of Solitude or How Jack Got Off the Beanstalk

Well the Velodyne DLS-3500r sub arrived and disaster was averted with the Giant (read: the wife) since it was defective/failing/whatever and the seller graciously will be refunding my monies. I moved my old Velodyne DLS-3500, that was in the main room into the Fortress with my new setup last Saturday and the integration is fantastic. Listening to Aston Barrett, of Bob Marley & The Wailers, plucking away on “Jamming”, off of the Exodus album, never sounded better, tighter or cleaner … Yah mahn! It’s a front firing sealed sub and the sound in here is finally fleshed out with the KEF LS50’s for music Valhalla. I’ve spent as many as 8 hours listening to music without any ear fatigue, nor resenting my wife for hogging the main room so she can watch some inane chick flick. While it may not be as rich sounding as the setup in the main room, it sure is close, which is all I wanted all along. It seems the answer to my problem was but a mere 30 feet away. BTW the SVS PB12-NSD in the main room with the Focal’s is a marriage made in heaven in a 20’x20’ room. I highly, highly recommended it for any Focal 1027Be, 1028Be, and 1038Be owners in a similarly sized room for music. Great as the Focal’s are they have never been known for their bass extension and this has resolved that issue beautifully.

Final inventory in the Fortress of Solitude:
Yamaha RX-V2600 AVR
KEF LS50 Main Speakers
KEF R200c Center Channel
Velodyne DLS-3500 Subwoofer
Panasonic DMP-BD65 CD/Blu-ray Player
Yamaha K-902 Dual Cassette Deck

90% of my source material is high-bit MP3/FLAC music files from my PC, fed to the Yamaha AVR. I’m in music collector heaven; with a mere click of the mouse I have access to 2 TB+ of songs. Some still dream of a flying car but I can hear my dream right in front of me.

Again I want to thank all of you for your input and invaluable advice. Now it’s on to the Winter Quarters on the 2nd floor. I’m off to a good start; I purchased a pair of Epos Epic 2’s yesterday for $400 at Music Direct, thanks to ImcLoud’s timely notification on another post. I also want to thank AcuDefTechGuy for his contribution to the completion of The Fortress.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis