Daily Projector Usage??

H

HorrorFan33

Enthusiast
I'm still fairly new to projectors and was wondering if I should limit my daily usage on it..I understand the bulbs only last for so long, but will I cause more harm by using it 5-7 hours a day??..I'm a huge movie buff and watch at least one movie a day, plus do some gaming and regular tv watching as well...Should I be giving it breaks, to cool down between movies??
Also, I unplug it every night..Is this good for it, or should I just leave it plugged all the time?
Thanks guys!!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Most lamps last around 3000 hours. I got through them pretty fast. The chinese lamp replacement for mine was about 70 we'll see how long it lasts.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Projectors won't last longer or shorter based on usage. Well, generally speaking. 4-8 hours a day of use is certainly reasonable and would be considered acceptable. Actual projector life will depend far more on manufacturer/make/model than your usage. If it is going to break in 5,000 hours then it will break in 5,000 hours no matter how much or little you use it, not because you use it 5 hours a day instead of 2 hours a day.

I always tell people that front projection has a certain cost associated with it which people just have to accept. They often aren't as robust as flat panels and they have far greater heat to deal with in a small area which can significantly reduce their life compared to a flat panel. So, they will fail sooner more often than flat panels will.

Still, I would expect you to get 10,000 hours or so out of most projectors without issue. DLPs have color wheel issues, LCDs have polarizer issues, and they ALL have electronics issues. So, just keep it in a well ventilated area, and enjoy it without thinking much more about it.

Unplugging it at night, after a full system cool down, is probably a good thing IMO.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thats like asking if you should drive your car less so that the 3000 mile oil change could be extended. (and of course on the internet 10+ people will chime in with suggestions for increasing life, and other inane comments)

Point is, you spent the money to have, USE IT! ENJOY IT! Even post pics of you enjoying it just to make people like me jealous!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I use mine for almost all TV and movie viewing. I've got almost 3k on the bulb and 80% of that is in low lamp mode. I had some flicker issues in low so I bumped it up to high and actually like the picture better. Lamp still kicking and replacements (not from the manufacturer) are only $140. I have no problem watching mine all the time. I love it.

RCranesNZ

RCranesNZ

Audiophyte
Company has their say that projectors can be remained plugged in for long hours but they also have implied certain untold conditions that non-tech people are unaware about it. Ive been advised by audio visual company to have a pause on projectors usage to let it cool down.

S

sparton

Audiophyte
Recently i would buy a new projector that i am using and met my need. I understand the bulb only last for so long; but i am using 4to5 hours a day. The actual projected life depends upon the manufacturing, technology, model and how to be used.I had some flicker issues in low but like the better picture quality.

S

sparton

Audiophyte
Recently i would buy a new projector that i am using and met my need. I understand the bulb only last for so long; but i am using 4to5 hours a day. The actual projected life depends upon the manufacturing, technology, model and how to be used.I had some flicker issues in low but like the better picture quality.
Personal trainer Marketing

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis