I can't get sound on my front 3 speakers!!!

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I need some troubleshooting ideas....I am getting no sound from my front 3 speakers. My receiver is the Onkyo 708 and it is running to my EMO xpa-3 amp. I have checked all connections and the easy stuff. I do get output to my subwoofer, just nothing to the front 3 speakers. I tried running level tests, the CD player, the Direct TV all have no sound except for subwoofer. Is there some mode I have some how put my receiver into that it bypasses the output plugs that go to my EMO amp...is suppose it is possible my EMO is not working also, just seems odd all 3 channels to not work...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jeff

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Jeff. Has this recently stopped working, or did you just now connect the amp and you don't get sound?

Some things that come to mind if you recently set this up, none of which are intended to be patronizing:
1. Make sure that you connected the amp to the PRE OUT jacks (they have shading around them on the back panel) versus accidentally using the multi-channel input jacks (which are labelled the same).
2. Did you run the auto setup on the Onkyo? If not, try that.
3. Are the input switches on the back of the XPA-3 set to "Un-Bal"?
4. Are the status lights on the XPA-3 blue (if you have no lights, toggle the switch on the back panel to show them)?

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
The setup has been in place for about a year never had any issues. All plugs are in the preouts. All my lights on the amp are blue and switches on the amp are in the unbalanced position. I will try to rerun the audessy setup. I can not get any sound on the speaker level adjust menu on the receiver so I am not to hopeful that will do anything. One other odd thing is the receiver will not pass sound to my tv only picture.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Just tried the audessy no sound on the front.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You could try directly connecting at least one of the speakers to the Onkyo to see if that produces sound.

Also, you can try a processor reset if you haven't already.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I suspect something is not working with my receiver..... I guess I could us a multimeter to check for output from the preout jacks.... I would think I check for voltage??

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Never mind just found it. Tried it and got the same result. Subwoofer works no front 3 channels. I guess I can try my the speaker output on the receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Never mind just found it. Tried it and got the same result. Subwoofer works no front 3 channels. I guess I can try my the speaker output on the receiver.
Try connecting the receiver to the speakers. If there is sound, connect a CD player or some device with a volume control directly to the EMO. No sound, EMO blown.

If there is no sound from the receiver or preouts after a receiver reset, then another Onkyblow has bitten the dust.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

You could try directly connecting at least one of the speakers to the Onkyo to see if that produces sound.

Also, you can try a processor reset if you haven't already.
The sub works which comes through the processor. Doubt the processor would have issues only in the 3 fronts.

Connecting a speaker directly to the receiver's amp will give him the answer.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just for Schlitz and giggles, see if headphones work. At least that'll afford some hope for a rational solution.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
OK...So I have all three channels running on the Onkyo speaker output terminals. No issues with that. I tried to hook up my Ipod to my Emotiva and had no luck. Should the Ipod be able to run from my head phone jack to a RCA cable to the inputs on 2 of the amp channels? I am getting worried I have an Amp issue. But do not understand why all 3 independent channels would not be working? All the lights are blue on the front, I also have not done any hard use on the amp that would make it push it's heat limits or anything.

I could take the amp down to my basement HT system and try it on the preouts for my Onk 805?? or is the Ipod test sufficient to determine my amp is screwed and I will need to contact Emotiva customer service. I think it is under warranty.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, the amp should produce sound Ipod should work with the ipod plugged directly into it, assuming you've got the volume turned up. It sounds like the amp ain't working.

As for why the lights work but the amp doesn't, it doesn't matter. It's job is to amplify sound, not provide light.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
OK...So I have all three channels running on the Onkyo speaker output terminals. No issues with that. I tried to hook up my Ipod to my Emotiva and had no luck. Should the Ipod be able to run from my head phone jack to a RCA cable to the inputs on 2 of the amp channels? I am getting worried I have an Amp issue. But do not understand why all 3 independent channels would not be working? All the lights are blue on the front, I also have not done any hard use on the amp that would make it push it's heat limits or anything.

I could take the amp down to my basement HT system and try it on the preouts for my Onk 805?? or is the Ipod test sufficient to determine my amp is screwed and I will need to contact Emotiva customer service. I think it is under warranty.
Mark is right - the iPod should work. Just make sure that the volume on the iPod is turned up a bit (start low, then turn it up so that you don't blast yourself in case the amp is working).

From the pictures of the XPA-3, the channels have identical output boards but a single main power supply. If something happened with that, or with any single point of failure common component, then it would stop working. The lights on the front are likely powered off of a separate supply due to the voltage. As for why the red status lights wouldn't come on...I don't know. Have you checked the fuses?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The Ipod should drive the EMO. Dollars to doughnuts, the HT regulator has failed in the EMO power supply so you have no rail voltage to the output stages.

Are there any fuses inside or outside the EMO? I doubt it is a fuse, as there is usually just a main fuse to the power supply and individual fuses in each of the power rails. That is usual, but a designer can set it up anyway he feels.

The problem is going to be with your EMO though.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
There are no fuses on the back of the EMO. I am not going to take off the cover till I speak with the EMO customer service team. What a bummer. So I spend the dollars for the highly regarded EMO and cheap out on my refurbished Onkyo from A4less and the expensive unit that had great reviews fails me!!! I am hoping what ever it is it will be a warranty coverage. It is only a few years old maybe 2-3 at most.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Even the best manufacturer has problems on occasion. It's how they handle them that separates them from the losers. Maybe this link will help put your mind at ease. I just hope you kept your receipt, box, and packing materials.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I have all my packing materials. I bought it used....from another member on the forum. I hope I can scrounge up a receipt. I would hope that in todays world of technology Emotiva can just use the manufactured serial number to track the original sale date if I have any issue getting the original receipt from the original owner.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis