J

JTNY

Audiophyte
Looking to buy a new 60" TV , been doing a lot of research and it seems that plasma produces a much better picture relative to the price. Of course the LCDs are nice because they're thin and use less power. My concern is heat issues as myu apartment get's pretty hot and I am concerned about burn-in issues. Anyone have a suggestion on a good 60" plasma/lcd tv? My budget is about $2k.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Open the window. If I had your funds I'd get a Panasonic VT50 or GT50.

S

Sgratien

Audioholic Intern
Panasonic st series all the way. Burn-in is all but gone these days, although new panels will show some image retention until they get some time on them. The added heat is not that big an issue. And unless the placement gets a ton of direct light- natural or other, plasmas are a no-brainer. Good luck, 60" st series panasonics can be had for about $1600-$1700 right now

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Looking to buy a new 60" TV , been doing a lot of research and it seems that plasma produces a much better picture relative to the price. Of course the LCDs are nice because they're thin and use less power. My concern is heat issues as myu apartment get's pretty hot and I am concerned about burn-in issues. Anyone have a suggestion on a good 60" plasma/lcd tv? My budget is about $2k.
Heat is relative. 100 is hot 90 is not. Toughen up. :p Seriously a LCD is gonna be about as hot as Plasma.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Please describe your viewing preferences, and your room conditions.

Yes, plasma can produce a better image overall compared to LCD, but LCD is certainly no slouch.

The good:
Plasma: Very good color, excellent contrast, excellent motion handing.
LCD: Very bright, good color saturation, long life without headaches, lower power consumption.

The bad:
Plasma: Potential for burn-in (still, yes, including Panasonic), higher power usage, not as bright, reflective glass.
LCD: Not as good off angle viewing, not as good contrast, not as good with motion.

Generally, I feel that anyone who cares about video quality should end up with at least one good plasma in their system from Panasonic or Samsung (not LG!)

But, if you can only have one TV and you will be playing a ton of games or leaving static images up on the screen all day long, and you are in a room that is very bright with large windows that aren't shaded, then perhaps a LCD is best for your situation.

I have installed both, I own both, I like both. But, I review every home and situation I go into with the intent to deliver the proper display for that specific person. So, you need to determine what will make you happiest in the long term, not simply what will produce the best image.... Unless of course that's what WILL make you happiest in the long term. Then, just get a plasma. Panasonic ST plasmas at 60 or 65 inches are excellent. The VT series is marginally better. I would stick with the ST at this time.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I own a Pany GT60 Plasma and a ST plasma ( never ever had a burn in issues )

I say buy what your wallet can afford and what you like. These days its hard not to find a decent picture from a Pany or a Samsung. For a good deal right now, as BMX noted find yourself a ST Pany plasma as the deals are everywhere. [h=1][/h]

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Also nobody ever seems to mention that plasma's buzz. Apparently some people hear it and some don't. I never knew this until I bought one. Not a huge deal but it does bug me a bit sometimes. Awesome picture though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Motion issues are a thing of the past for a quality LCD panel these days, just like the life expectancy of a plasma is considerably longer than before and they are far better at burn-in resistance (though as mentioned, not immune).

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Also nobody ever seems to mention that plasma's buzz. Apparently some people hear it and some don't. I never knew this until I bought one. Not a huge deal but it does bug me a bit sometimes. Awesome picture though.
Additionally some panels buzz more than others, to include within a specific model. I would recommend trying looking at some plasma TVs and see if you think buzzing might be a concern for you.

S

starmaster

Audiophyte
One thing you might want to also consider is that plasmas actually "flicker" somewhat which can cause eye strain (like it did for me). That is why I switched to an LCD screen. LCD is getting way better now. Plasma is dying out.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
One thing you might want to also consider is that plasmas actually "flicker" somewhat which can cause eye strain (like it did for me). That is why I switched to an LCD screen. LCD is getting way better now. Plasma is dying out.
come again?

G

gajenn

Audioholic Intern
I went shopping for a lcd-led 60" and was led into the showroom with top of the line lcd's and plasma's( which I've never owned). I was wowed by the depth and detail of the plasma tv's. The lcd's right next with same signal were detailed,but washed out and for lack of another word, flat looking, not much demensional vision....any of them would look amazing in a living room,but i ended up with a 65gt50 which I'm loving...it's like speakers, lots of different ones,just find what you like best.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Never ever had a "flicker" out of my Plasma's. But I don't own old pre 2011 plasma's . FYI I have had more flicker problems out of a LCD screen than anything I own including monitors which is either
Brightness flickering or Picture Flickering issues.

Plasma is dying out.
R...I..G....H.....T. I guess that's why they still make newer models and upgrades each year... I equate your statement to the automobile, and ' gas engines are a thing of the past'

And don't forget CD's

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JTNY

Audiophyte
Thanks for the all feedback fella's. I will weigh each pro and con before making my decision. once I get my tax refund and get the "ok" from the wife I'll be searching for that new LCD or Plasma. My one coworker mentioned the life span on plasma's are generally not as long as a lcd. Now i dont know how much longer a lcd will last but given the lower price of a plasma coupled with a good extended warranty should provide me with some protection no?

starmaster: I have really sensitive eyes, this flicker you mention, was it very noticeable? if so this woudl automatically opt me out of a plasma.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
starmaster: I have really sensitive eyes, this flicker you mention, was it very noticeable? if so this woudl automatically opt me out of a plasma.
No matter the answer you get to this, the only real way to go about it is to view one yourself.

vecc76

vecc76

Audioholic Intern
A darker room that doesnt receive a lot of light, plasma for sure. I have one in the HT room, and an LCD in the family room upstairs, my opionion the plasma is a smoother and much better picture. Yes a plasma does use a bit more energy than LCD, however I'd say it's very minimal in comparison. As far as heat from a plasma, I'd say again it's not that much different than an LCD, mine is slightly warmer than my LCD. These newer generation plasmas are hard to beat for the quality you get aswell as the price. In the end I guess it just comes down to personal preference.;)

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
... Plasma is dying out.
R...I..G....H.....T. I guess that's why they still make newer models and upgrades each year... I equate your statement to the automobile, and ' gas engines are a thing of the past'
starmaster is right; the maker of probably the best plasma TVs is thinking of no longer making them, and is no longer doing research on them ("The Japanese firm has already halted new development of plasma TVs"):

Panasonic considers exiting from plasma TVs: Nikkei

There is a thread about this topic:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/televisions-displays/84792-nooooooooo-panasonic-considers-exiting-plasma-tvs.html

If it makes you feel any better, LCD sets keep getting better, and Panasonic makes some good ones.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
... My one coworker mentioned the life span on plasma's are generally not as long as a lcd. Now i dont know how much longer a lcd will last but given the lower price of a plasma coupled with a good extended warranty should provide me with some protection no?
The lifespan tends to be similar, if taken care of. Do NOT buy an extended warranty unless you enjoy wasting money. Instead, if you buy a plasma TV, make it a Panasonic. They make very reliable TVs (though obviously I cannot guarantee you won't get a lemon, but most TVs fail early if they are improperly made, so an extended warranty is a waste for that; just buy from a reputable, authorized dealer). And they tend to use less power than other plasmas (though more than most LCD sets). Really, Panasonic is an excellent brand of TV, whether you select a plasma or an LCD.

Now, if you prefer getting an LCD set, I think there are more brands that I would consider. I would get a major brand (Panasonic is still an excellent choice if they make one at a size you want). But I would not get an LG.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
While most experts agree that plasma provides a better picture because of it's superior black rendering and contrast ratio, I think calling it much better is an overstatement. Somewhat better I think is accurate. As others have said, the other issues are minor. But don't eliminate lcd's thinking that the differences are huge. They are actually fairly subtle. LCD does offer better brightness for daytime viewing and lower operating cost.

M

MvpBrady

Audioholic Intern
pn59d7000. its a 59 inch Samsung plasma best picture I have ever seen. now the only issue that there is the tv has a filter screen that can cause bubbling but buy the warranty your all set. abesofmaine.com has it for $1349

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis