Time to buy a gun ... again

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have bought an sold in excess of $100,000 of guns on gun broker no issues to speak of... One of the happiest gun collecting days of my life was when my first Blaser came, and it was from gb, since most small gun shops don't keep $11K rifles on the wall, you need to use a place like gb to get what you want....

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i finally got approval from the wife to get an m4.

i have the option of:
bushmaster barrel 14.5"
or
bcm twist stainless match barrel 12.5" (350usd more expensive)

which do i get? (already have a 20")

-0-

and there seems to be a shortage of mags online over there ... damn your psychos.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
and there seems to be a shortage of mags online over there ... damn your psychos.
Word. Wait, you are talking about the gun control freaks, right? :D

As for the barrel, can you swap barrels fairly easily on an M4? I'm wondering if you could just get a full M4 with one barrel and buy the other barrel by itself. I ask because, when I went to look up those barrels, I got the manufacturer sites for just that - the barrels.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
everyone :D the shooters, the gun nuts and gun control freaks ... i must say the gun industry must be happy for every tragic shooting.

the cost of the uppers "only" over here are too expensive ... about 90% the cost of a full rifle
while i think i can get the mags and other accessories imported with no problem, i will not try to import the rifle parts like the barrel, upper or lower.

i think i want the 12.5" (since the 14.5 set doesn't have a detachable carry handle)

16"

14.5"

12.5"

the lower

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

everyone :D the shooters, the gun nuts and gun control freaks ... i must say the gun industry must be happy for every tragic shooting.

the cost of the barrels "only" over here are too expensive ... about 90% the cost of a full rifle
while i think i can get the mags and other accessories imported with no problem, i will not try to import the rifle parts like the barrel, upper or lower.

i think i want the 12.5" (since the 14.5 set doesn't have a detachable carry handle)

16"

14.5"

12.5"

the lower
Yeah I'm not a freak on handle either

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Had a discount code for Mounting Solutions so picked this MIAD grip up.

Prices for components are coming back down here already, but supply is still short on most. I will be putting together a new AR this year also. Deciding on caliber and configuration now, but still waiting on my new pistol first.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i can't find ar15 mags online that are reasonably priced ... gaah!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
i can't find ar15 mags online that are reasonably priced ... gaah!
UNICORN! LOL. "Reasonably priced" and AR magazines is going to be a tough combination to find right now. Before Newtown my buddy said he got some Magpuls for $12/ea. Shortly after Newtown, they were going for $75/ea, and they haven't come down a whole bunch from that.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A dude posted this up on another forum. Looks like a blast (pun intended):

For the record

300 Win Mag
Code:
Ballistic performance
Bullet weight/type    Velocity    Energy
165 gr (10.7 g) GMX    3,260 ft/s (990 m/s)    3,893 ft·lbf (5,278 J)
180 gr (11.7 g) BT    3,146 ft/s (959 m/s)    3,972 ft·lbf (5,385 J)
190 gr (12.3 g) BTSP    3,083 ft/s (940 m/s)    4,027 ft·lbf (5,460 J)
200 gr (13.0 g) Partion    3,029 ft/s (923 m/s)    4,092 ft·lbf (5,548 J)
220 gr (14.3 g) Sierra MatchKing (HPBT)    2,850 ft/s (870 m/s)    3,908 ft·lbf
Code:
Ballistic performance
150 gr (10 g) Nosler tip    2,820 ft/s (860 m/s)    2,648 ft·lbf (3,590 J)
165 gr (11 g) BTSP    2,700 ft/s (820 m/s)    2,671 ft·lbf (3,621 J)
168 gr (11 g) BTHP    2,650 ft/s (810 m/s)    2,619 ft·lbf (3,551 J)
175 gr (11 g) BTHP    2,600 ft/s (790 m/s)    2,627 ft·lbf (3,562 J)
180 gr (12 g) Nosler partition    2,620 ft/s (800 m/s)    2,870 ft·lbf (3,890 J)
5.56 Nato
Code:
Ballistic performance
4 g (62 gr) SS109 FMJBT    940 m/s (3,100 ft/s)    1,767 J (1,303 ft·lbf)
4.1 g (63 gr) DM11 FMJBT    936 m/s (3,070 ft/s)    1,796 J (1,325 ft·lbf)
4.1 g (63 gr) GP 90 FMJBT    905 m/s (2,970 ft/s)    1,679 J (1,238 ft·lbf)
The 300-WM is as fast (if not faster) than the 5.56 and hits almost twice as hard as a .308

JEEBUS - that's a lotta gun

Last edited by a moderator:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
UNICORN! LOL. "Reasonably priced" and AR magazines is going to be a tough combination to find right now. Before Newtown my buddy said he got some Magpuls for $12/ea. Shortly after Newtown, they were going for $75/ea, and they haven't come down a whole bunch from that.
i don't get it ... so people panic buy thinking it's going to be banned ...

wth aren't the manufacturers churning them out. also, didn't NY just do some serious banning

i had an offer before for tons of AL mags for cheap, but i had kept my nose up looking at pmags
at this point, i'd take aluminum mags :) (but the entire collection of unused AL mags was sold)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, there is a huge reaction panic-buy mentality now. Firearm sales in the US were already way up, but things like that just create hysteria. That's why I will wait a bit to build my AR until some of the craziness dies down. The manufacturers are churning them out for the "normal" sales numbers, so when you get panics like that, they can't keep up.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
what's the rule in CA about buying "complete uppers"?

i mean, for example, mags with more than 10 rounds are not allowed UNLESS they're disassembled.

what about barrel length?

also, does one need papers to buy uppers?

-0-

what about suppressors? if they're allowed in CA, do you know where i can get one?

-0-

what about .22 conversion kits?
re: 22lr mags, i understand they're not included in the magazine ban?

Last edited:
G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall

i mean, for example, mags with more than 10 rounds are not allowed UNLESS they're disassembled.

-0-

what about suppressors? if they're allowed in CA, do you know where i can get one?

-0-

The ONLY thing that requires papers is the stripped lower. That single piece of metal is what constitutes the firearm.

.22lr mags are included in the size cap, but i do not believe you would need a bullet button for a .22 [don't quote me on that second part]

OAL is 30" barrel is 16" Edit: I'm reading that the OAL requirement may even state that the 30" OAL must be met in the guns smallest configuration, as to say if you have a collapsible stock it must be 30 collapsed. I'm not 100% sure this is true though.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
^ so, i'm guessing since the upper will not be used in CA, it's ok to buy whatever length barrel for the upper?

G

Grador

^ so, i'm guessing since the upper will not be used in CA, it's ok to buy whatever length barrel for the upper?
This is correct, though I'm not sure what the federal minimum length is.

Also, missed your question about suppressors, they are a no go in CA.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

-0-

-0-

Some details:
Grandfathered high capacity mags are legal in CA, meaning you somehow have to show that you had them before the ban. Capacity limit still applies to .22, but the majority of other AR bans don't apply (no vertical fore grip, bullet button, etc...). You can also have 30rd mags as long as you have a mag release that requires a tool, as the mag is considered "fixed" at that point, which is not illegal. Not sure about capacity higher than that.

Barrel length:
Minimum legal length for a rifle barrel is 16", although permanent barrel extensions (pinned or welded flash hiders) are acceptable to bring the length up to 16". A rifle breaking this rule is a short barrelled rifle. Note that this mirrors Federal law, and is a Felony offense in either a state or federal context!
SBR is NOT illegal, it just needs to be registered as such and requires an additional fixed fee of $200 to the ATF (I believe it is to the ATF?).

As mentioned, suppresors not allowed here.

The FDE magpul ladders and XTMs came in:

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
how does one know where to put the AFG/VFG?

as far out as comfortable for my arm length?

G

Grador

Some details:
Grandfathered high capacity mags are legal in CA, meaning you somehow have to show that you had them before the ban. Capacity limit still applies to .22, but the majority of other AR bans don't apply (no vertical fore grip, bullet button, etc...). You can also have 30rd mags as long as you have a mag release that requires a tool, as the mag is considered "fixed" at that point, which is not illegal. Not sure about capacity higher than that.
I thought the capacity exemption for .22 was only for tube magazines.
Barrel length:

SBR is NOT illegal, it just needs to be registered as such and requires an additional fixed fee of $200 to the ATF (I believe it is to the ATF?).
I'm less sure on this one than I am on the tube mags, but I was under the impression CA didn't allow any NFA weapons. If they do you are correct that it is the ATF you have to register it with and pay the fee to.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
how does one know where to put the AFG/VFG?

as far out as comfortable for my arm length?
Pretty much

I thought the capacity exemption for .22 was only for tube magazines.
Correct. I presumed the question was regarding a .22LR AR.

I'm less sure on this one than I am on the tube mags, but I was under the impression CA didn't allow any NFA weapons. If they do you are correct that it is the ATF you have to register it with and pay the fee to.
From BATF site:
If the subsequent owner buys the receiver as a <abbr>GCA</abbr> firearm and installs a barrel less than 16 inches in length (<abbr>SBR</abbr>) or 18 inches in length (<abbr>SBS</abbr>), the firearm would be subject to a $200 making tax and registration under the <abbr>NFA</abbr> by the manufacturer or maker of the <abbr>SBR</abbr> or <abbr>SBS</abbr>. Because registration depends upon the stated intent of the applicant, there is no provision to allow registration of a <abbr>NFA</abbr> firearm by anyone other than the maker or manufacturer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis