tekton - the next big thing?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Have a look at Stereo Mojo, they have a new review on the Tektons:)
Welcome to audioholics,

I have seen the Mlores review, I have heard the Mlores also, and they are very nice for $650, I honestly think with a matching $350 center and a pair of bookshelfs for $300 that would make one of the best $1300 5.1's you could buy, especially since using a 100 watt avr would power them to near deafening levels... :)

I ended up buying the lores because the height was perfect for my bedroom, and they do stand alone a really well, but the mlores with a sub would be awesome...

Last edited:
Jackson123

Jackson123

Audiophyte
Want to preview the Pens. Can you Help?

If you're anywhere near Charleston, SC, I'd LOVE to hear your Pens. If oyu'd consider letting me visit for a listen, let me know here and we'll figure out how to get in touch.

Jackson123

Jackson123

Audiophyte
Pendragons

To ImcLoud - I'd love to hear those Lores.
to PJl2122 - Have those Pens SEAS arrived yet? I'd love to come hear them
To Soundman5000 - I'm in Charleston, SC regularly and would love a chance to hear your Pens with the tube amp!

I'm in Central VA but travel throughout the east and midwest. If you three would be amenable to have a professional 60 yr old business type who loves great music hear your Tektons, I'd be delighted and Eric may end up with an order. I just can't buy buy them without hearing them.

And to the argument crowd - Specs are a great place to start and if you want to know what you're getting, you need the numbers (just make sure they're right and relevant to the specific model you're listening to). On the other hand, if you just love how they sound, then you need to figure out the disconnect between your ears and the numbers as best you can, and buy what you love.

To buy the Pens blindly is high risk. To by them if you love them, is just the right thing to do. To diss them so vehemently as some of you have if you've never heard them seems a bit closed minded. Let's love the music, the sound we enjoy, and sit back in aural pleasure and enjoy.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
To ImcLoud - I'd love to hear those Lores.
to PJl2122 - Have those Pens SEAS arrived yet? I'd love to come hear them
To Soundman5000 - I'm in Charleston, SC regularly and would love a chance to hear your Pens with the tube amp!

I'm in Central VA but travel throughout the east and midwest. If you three would be amenable to have a professional 60 yr old business type who loves great music hear your Tektons, I'd be delighted and Eric may end up with an order. I just can't buy buy them without hearing them.

And to the argument crowd - Specs are a great place to start and if you want to know what you're getting, you need the numbers (just make sure they're right and relevant to the specific model you're listening to). On the other hand, if you just love how they sound, then you need to figure out the disconnect between your ears and the numbers as best you can, and buy what you love.

To buy the Pens blindly is high risk. To by them if you love them, is just the right thing to do. To diss them so vehemently as some of you have if you've never heard them seems a bit closed minded. Let's love the music, the sound we enjoy, and sit back in aural pleasure and enjoy.
PM me when you are in or around north eastern CT, if I am around I am more than happy to have a cup of coffee and listen to a few tracks with a fellow Audioholic...

G

groovytunes58

Audiophyte
Really?

I do not mean any disrespect, but Really? I realize this is just a place to yak, but Really? How do we have so many people who think their viewpoints are valid, and yet the conversation never gets past the ADHD level of concentration of the point at hand?

I am, obviously, a registered user on this site, but I rarely read forums....I know all to well how deep the conversations 'never' get from past experience.

I am interested in the person that actually owns the Pendragons. For those who think that everything is snake oil.....oh please. I have found from a ton of reading forums in the past that those who do that simply are not willing to spend the money to find out the truth.

Of course, criticism is damn cheap.....both monetarily and intellectually. I am sure there may be others that have said this previously. Isn't this kind of a boring pass time? I would love to hear some honest perspectives from those who have purchased the actual speakers, and I have in this thread. I thank those persons very much. The rest of the rambling, jumping around blah, blah, blah is just that....very blah reading for those of us that come along.

No disrespect intended:)

G

groovytunes58

Audiophyte
Tekton Pendragons

I am very interested in the Pendragon SE with the upgraded crossovers. I just purchased a pair of Zu Audio Essence, the current iteration, I am quite happy with them.

I wanted to dip my foot in the FRD category, and I kind of like it.

That is where I am coming from:)

Okay, now disect.

G

groovytunes58

Audiophyte
Ha ha ha ha.......

I will get right on that. Perhaps you would like to purchase them? I have read the yak yak concerning measurements. The nice thing is that God endowed me with a pair of ears coupled to a reasonable functional brain.

No offense, I tend to say that a lot, but why do people perseverate on 'measurements'. That is all well and fun if a design has been is not well accepted, but the Zu has a bunch of decent regards. I am looking for a nice loudspeaker, not a device to split and atom.....or some other something that requires a precise device.

G

groovytunes58

Audiophyte
Thank you:)

By the way, I do appreciate the welcome. Happy Thanksgiving:)

R

ridikas

Banned
I will get right on that. Perhaps you would like to purchase them? I have read the yak yak concerning measurements. The nice thing is that God endowed me with a pair of ears coupled to a reasonable functional brain.

No offense, I tend to say that a lot, but why do people perseverate on 'measurements'. That is all well and fun if a design has been is not well accepted, but the Zu has a bunch of decent regards. I am looking for a nice loudspeaker, not a device to split and atom.....or some other something that requires a precise device.
Why measurements? Because a loudspeakers is a mechanical/electrical device. The engineering uses math and physics. It either performs well, mediocre, or bad. There are no room for opinions, only real hard facts. A loudspeaker is not a painting, or a steak, or perfume, or a color. Now if you like the fancy finish on the Zu, that's perfectly acceptable. But it's a terrible loudspeaker. As bad as I have ever seen one measured. That is a fact :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
My honest recommendation would be to sell the Essences ASAP: Zu Essence loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com
Thats just silly, I know a lot of guys put too much faith in the "graphs", but IMO them guys are just in the wrong hobby, you should have picked another hobby like model air plane and village building, where you can live in your pretend world and listen to speakers with your eyes instead of your ears...

For the measurement clowns {you know who you are};)... If it sounds good to the person listening than you have no business saying sell that speaker or them are not good... I can afford any speaker in the world but I buy the ones I like that make sense and sound good to me for the cost, I don't care that some jerk off with a free pc program and $50 microphone prints out a wavy graph that says my speakers don't sound good... Get a life and go listen to some music with the ears god gave you {or you evolved to have, which ever you believe} not a laptop...

I have heard a few zu products, and they aren't terrible, they fit a niche, they look different sound good and are efficient....

Anyhow... happy thanksgiving...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

Why measurements? Because a loudspeakers is a mechanical/electrical device. The engineering uses math and physics. It either performs well, mediocre, or bad. There are no room for opinions, only real hard facts. A loudspeaker is not a painting, or a steak, or perfume, or a color. Now if you like the fancy finish on the Zu, that's perfectly acceptable. But it's a terrible loudspeaker. As bad as I have ever seen one measured. That is a fact :)
Thats just silly, I know a lot of guys put too much faith in the "graphs", but IMO them guys are just in the wrong hobby, you should have picked another hobby like model air plane and village building, where you can live in your pretend world and listen to speakers with your eyes instead of your ears...

For the measurement clowns {you know who you are};)... If it sounds good to the person listening than you have no business saying sell that speaker or them are not good... I can afford any speaker in the world but I buy the ones I like that make sense and sound good to me for the cost, I don't care that some jerk off with a free pc program and $50 microphone prints out a wavy graph that says my speakers don't sound good... Get a life and go listen to some music with the ears god gave you {or you evolved to have, which ever you believe} not a laptop...

I have heard a few zu products, and they aren't terrible, they fit a niche, they look different sound good and are efficient....

There's obviously a balance to be struck between measurements and what you hear. I'm not someone who would tell anyone to sell a pair of speakers that sound great to them, but I'm also not one to scoff at measurements so easily. The measurements, math, and physics are more important than you obviously realize, but when it comes time to spend your own money, what you hear is clearly the bottom line.

I'll say this, no matter how a speaker measures you find a pair you like, then look at the measurements. The measurements will point you in a direction for the next pair you buy. If the pair you buy has a hump here, or a dip there, or "midrange mushroom cloud" as one member is fond of saying, and you love that pair of speakers, then the next time you're out buying you should look for a pair that has that. You've identified something in a speaker that you like.

It is beyond argument to say that it is a flaw in the speaker, because based on the math and physics it is a flaw, but it is a flaw that you probably enjoy. The better a speaker measures, the more accurate it will be to the source material. Now I'm not one who claims that every speaker that measures exactly the same, be it perfect or not, will sound alike, but they will sound much more similar than different based on the similarity of their respective measurements.

I'm not saying anything about the Zu speakers or the Tektons, this is all in generalities, although we will have some hard evidence about the Tektons in the somewhat near future. However, I will say that if you completely don't believe in measurements, then why are you here? This place has proved overwhelmingly in favor of measurements and accuracy. I'm not saying there's not a place for those who do not, but it just seems odd to me that two people who seem to scoff at the measurements would gravitate to a forum that holds the technical aspects in such a high regard.

To each their own. :)

My own personal preference is accuracy. I want a piano to sound like a piano, a cello a cello, etc. A flat response gets me close to that. If I liked a certain speaker, I'd want to see it measured to know what I like and what to look for in the future.

Cheers and gobble gobble :D

G

groovytunes58

Audiophyte
Thank you

This is a rational response to what I stated in my 3 posts above. My question to the wanna be engineers is....Have you heard the Zu? If you did, did you enjoy the sound? I can tell you that the Zus do exactly, in my livingroom, what the professional reviews of the Essence said they do. They put the musician right in the room, and I feel that the instrument is fairly represented. This is why there are so many types, and producers, of raw drivers and actual end produced loudspeakers.....sound is just that, it is sound. The stated goal of Zu is to give you a taste of live music, while listening to a studio recording. I am pretty amazed at how Zu has been able to accomplish this. Zu is as promised, it is FUN, as all music was meant to be. To sit with a STATIC point of view of what automatons should be perceiving as 'The highend sound' is just......well, I will leave everyone else to fill in the blank with their own 'feeling word'.

Music is fun, and I understand that graphs do apply when it comes to wild *** impedance curves so as to know what may not work with your electronics. If you take it much further than that, then I simply think that you doing way too much thinking and not enough enjoying of Audio.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis