Time to buy a gun ... again

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
XDS unfortunately not available in Ca. yet. I checked.

The plastic ones were bugging me so picked one of these up

Going to the range today with my buddy who is a Beretta armorer.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
XDS unfortunately not available in Ca. yet. I checked.

The plastic ones were bugging me so picked one of these up

Going to the range today with my buddy who is a Beretta armorer.
I like the wilson combat one, its plastic so it doesn't mark up your muzzle when you are drunk and playing with your guns... I honestly only have a couple 1911's that I need it for the rest I can do with no tool....

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
Handgun rounds aren't that bad... but I just don't trust rifle rounds. I was next to my buddy, a long time, very skilled, shooter and loader, had a bad round that ended up causing a big KABOOM that literally ripped his upper apart and put a hole in his lower... not to mention i got in the neck with shrapnel... not enough to bleed but a lot closer to combat then I ever felt like being. It's amazing the damage one bad stuck round can cause.

At about $350/1000 for decent range rounds of 223, I just buy them. Back when I used to shoot competively, I made my own .38 super and .45 rounds. it was a lot of fun, but it takes committment to make it worthwhile.
I'd guess that was a case head separation, or that he had debris of some sort, and the AR wasn't completely in battery. (I'm only guessing, it could be other things. Using a handgun powder, loading reloads to 5.56 spec with used brass and non-crimped powders, etc.). Personally, I fear the handgun cartridges more, particularly .40 S&W. Handgun powders are much faster, and a double charge is more likely to go unnoticed.

At that price, for .223, it must be mil-spec bullets, nowadays. Most of those are frustratingly inaccurate, insufficient for prairie dog hunting or a Highpower match. If you're looking for something more accurate, spring for some M262 (it uses Sierra 77gr Open tip match bullets), or try some of the Black Hills BTHP or ballistic tip offerings.

If you're just 'plinking', M193 (55 Gr FMJ loaded to M193 mil-spec), or M855 (using 62 Gr SS109 bullets with steel cores) is just fine. I can only get about 2.5 moa out of M855, and 1-1.5 moa out of M193. But I can get 0.5 MOA out of matchkings and V-Maxes. It ruined the fun, for me, to use M193 or M855. M262 shoots well, enough for a 200 yard 'clean' in Highpower, but not as well as hand loads tuned to my AR(s).

Some cartridges I shoot, there is little choice, and I need to handload. 6mm BR Norma is one (although Lapua has a factory offering), and 9.3x62 (hunting) is another.

Sorry, I was sharing my preferences, not pushing them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I like the wilson combat one, its plastic so it doesn't mark up your muzzle when you are drunk and playing with your guns... I honestly only have a couple 1911's that I need it for the rest I can do with no tool....
I actually have an issue reassembling mine and it has a full length guide rod so the plastic one gets damaged when trying to rotate the barrel bushing over. The spring retainer doesn't fully drop in, even with pressure, so the bushing won't rotate in. I took it to two different shops and talked to some 1911 guys and both said I'd better contact Para about it because they've never seen that problem before. Probably a tolerance issue on one or more of the parts on mine. I already replaced the recoil spring and that made no difference.

capacity :mad: and failed drop test so they never bothered applying
The XDS is less than 10rds so that isn't the problem. It has the same dual stage trigger as the other XD models, so I am sure it just needs to be certified on its own.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It's more like a Glock 36 than a 30, but I've only shot a 36 once, and that was just 1 magazine and not recent so I can't make a good direct comparison. The trigger pull is a bit heavier than on a glock, but feels quite similar in the way it takes up before it breaks, and in the way it resets after you shoot. I've never shot a glock chambered in 45 GAP, but I do own a Glock 21 and used to have the 30. The recoil is more of a push than a snap up, but the gun is so small and light it has more recoil than any Glock I've ever shot. The sights are pretty good as well, all steel, 3 dot and the front sight is fiber optic. I'll likely have a set of Truglo TFO night sights installed at some point, but for now it's fine the way it is. Overall I still love my Glocks and wouldn't trade them for anything, but the Smith and Wesson M&P line is also ver nice, I'm now tempted to get a M&P .45c but that will have to wait a while.
I wish we could get the M&P45c here but we can't buy them without jumping through expensive hoops. I do have a full size M&P45 and an M&P9c and 40c and love'em. The M&P45 (with Crimson Trace backstrap) lives next to my bed.

I actually have an issue reassembling mine and it has a full length guide rod so the plastic one gets damaged when trying to rotate the barrel bushing over. The spring retainer doesn't fully drop in, even with pressure, so the bushing won't rotate in. I took it to two different shops and talked to some 1911 guys and both said I'd better contact Para about it because they've never seen that problem before. Probably a tolerance issue on one or more of the parts on mine. I already replaced the recoil spring and that made no difference.
I love a good 1911! This one is is a product of the craftsmen at S&W's Performance Center and my pride and joy. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just picked up a 10rd Wilson Combat mag for the 1911 since I was over there exchanging the defective quick disconnect for the VTAC sling I picked up yesterday for the AR.

What are people using for AR foregrips? Vertical or angled? I am kind of leaning toward angled. **Edit - there were a lot of reviews so I went ahead and ordered it :)

RAILS & ACCESSORIES - AFG2™ - Angled Fore Grip

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
J thats what I use, I love it, it takes some getting used to, you kind of have to hold it like you are choking it with your thumb on the top over the barrel, hard to explain, but it works for fast follow up shots, I was never a fan of verts.... I only use either wilson or Chips McCormick mags, in my wilson combat 1911's I use wilsons, in my sigs and colts I use chips, my Dan wesson only likes the dan wessons that came with it, I ordered more from him and they dont work as well as the ones that came with it, weird, I never really looked into much more than that... I just ordered a .38 super stinger les baer I can not wait for it to get here Pits been 9 days already... My baer ppc open class took 3 months..
But anyway, I think you will like the magpul grip, it comes with a couple different inserts too...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sweet. I read quite a few reviews of the .38 Super Stinger earlier this year and it sounds like a really nice pistol!

I know you said you had a bunch of ARs, so I was hoping you would reply :) I read one pretty thorough review of the AFG2 and it detailed the various options and minor complaints like it takes up a fair amount of length and you have to remove everything to slide it on because it is not a clamp style mounting (which sort of makes more sense to me anyway, rather not have it come loose), but once on I doubt I will be taking it off much.

The Wilson Combat fits and works great and seems like a really well built magazine, but it looks a bit funny being silver (only one the shop had) so I ordered a black one directly from Wilson.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Sweet. I read quite a few reviews of the .38 Super Stinger earlier this year and it sounds like a really nice pistol!

I know you said you had a bunch of ARs, so I was hoping you would reply :) I read one pretty thorough review of the AFG2 and it detailed the various options and minor complaints like it takes up a fair amount of length and you have to remove everything to slide it on because it is not a clamp style mounting (which sort of makes more sense to me anyway, rather not have it come loose), but once on I doubt I will be taking it off much.

The Wilson Combat fits and works great and seems like a really well built magazine, but it looks a bit funny being silver (only one the shop had) so I ordered a black one directly from Wilson.

Looks good, you have a couple options with the mag, obviously paint lol, but what I do to my long mags {since I like silver because it doesn't look all scratched up after a while} is put the mag in the pistol, then trace with a pencil the exposed portion, then I make a template out of white paper of each side of the mag from the bottom to the traced line, then go around the bottom with black hockey grip tape then cut it with the template... its kind of a 2 bird one stone thing, you get to cover the silver and get extra grip...

I tend to setup my ar's once get comfortable and then not touch them, once they are dialed I like to count on muscle memory to make me shoot uniform everytime I pick the rifle up... so it doesnt bother me that you can't just pop the grip off, plus I dont put anything in front of it anyway... I know a lot of poople like to fill every inch of rail, but that ends up for show, you heard of the K.I.S.S. method {keep it simple stupid} well with guns I came up with the KILSS method keep it light and simple stupid....

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am all about keeping it simple too. The only thing that will be in front of it is the low profile quick disconnect for my sling :) KILSS, I like that :D

Hmmm....had thought about paint, but not grip tape. That's a good idea. My gun isn't quite black, but the mags that came with it are black; not that you can see them when they are in. The Wilson is nicer than the mags that came with it LOL. Here's a better shot:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Got tired of not being able to get this stuff so...

Even Cheaperthandirt was sold out.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You can probably find grip tape that same color, I found some that matched my matte scorpion 1911....

Ammo is getting harder and harder to get, I resorted to going into walmart and buying some 223 rounds...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My house, when I am there, is in a very small town. Walmart is the "big" store, and there are a LOT of hunters in town (the sign for town says "Recreation Unlimited" :D ) Even without a shortage, the common calibers are usually sold out this time of year at Walmart. I managed to find ammo in town when I was there over the holidays at a feed store recommended by Big5 who were out of it. 5 box limit at the shop I picked that stuff up at today, but he sold me that case since it is .22LR. Also picked up some 9mm.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I luckily keep stocked up, I have around 10,000 rounds each of the stuff I shoot often 45 9mm 380, I don't even know how many 22lr, a local store was going out of business and I bought 5000 rds there alone that day... 308 I have a few thousand and 223 probably 20k. I do want to stock up on 204 ruger, 22-250, and 7mm08 but them 3 are not easy to find all the time, and just happen to be the bulk of my hunting rounds... I also wouldnt mind stocking up on 12ga sabots and buck but I am always changing brands, cant seem to commit to one...

Ammo is always hard to get when there is a panic...

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I agree there is quite the panic going on. Local stores are sold out and the gun show this weekend was insane! Found used .22LR/20ga over/under combo that I just could not resist... Sigh... It was there, it's unique...It kept calling my name...

Question, I'm looking for a long range Varmit rifle... think North Dakota small critters at 200-400 yards. I'm leaning towards .22-250 instead of .220 Swift or .223. The .22-250 seems to have the most energy and least drop at 200 yards according to internet specs. Someone is bound to have some experience with these and can provide some feedback.

Last question...I have never had to buy a rifle scope before...last one was a $25 almost freebee that I put on a Ruger .22LR. I'm thinking about a Leupold VX-1 4-12x40mm for a Remington 700 .30-06 rifle that is intended for deer hunting on open prairie in the Dakotas, say 200+ yard shots. Thoughts?

I don't know what others are seeing, but wait time to get on an indoor range around here is easily 45+ minutes. People are just going crazy.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just got back from the indoor range and only had to wait 10 min. Sorry, I have no experience with the .22-250, but it sounds like ImcLoud does.

Tried out the AFG2 and liked it

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I love my 22-250. I have a tang safety model 77 but the new ones are just as nice if your looking for ba. Also 204 is a nice fat round and it works well in semi if that is how you are looking to go.... I use 22-250 for coyotes ground hogs skunks fischer cats ect.... As far as a scope for the 22-250 you can not go wrong with Leopold. I have a coyote special Nikon on mine rite now and for a sub 300$ scope it's impressive... But anyway for small varmint all the way up to coyote the 22-250 will do the job with power left over, but keep in mind it's stupid loud and since the energy it puts on target is so emmense don't expect there to be much left to show your friends if your shooting small stuff and be mindful of your backdrop them lill fukas go forever

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone have thoughts / opinions pro or con when it comes to ammo with aluminum casings?
My brother picked me up a few boxes the other day out in PA. I haven't used it before, and was wondering what your experiences were.

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis