Time to buy a gun ... again

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I want to buy a hand gun but not sure which.
Whats the best in respect to cost/reliability.
Thats a hard question to answer, what is the handgun going to be used for? What is the rifle going to be used for? What do you want to spend?

To me the 2 I cant live with out are the 1911 handgun and ar15 rifle...
1911 Nitron Rail to me this is the ultimate handgun throw a light on the bottom with strobe and its great home defense pistol {nice big round with pleanty of stopping power but slow enough where you dont have to worry about stray shots going through too many walls and hitting someone}. But a little big to conceal carry, although they make small ones, I have a wilson combat 1911 that is a nice ccw compact..

Stag Arms Great starter ar15, add some flip up sights and then grab a scope set and you have an all purpose rifle...

If you want a bolt action or something for long range, remington 700s are my choice...

If you want a shotgun semi auto 12ga, I like browning silvers and baretta unicos are nice..

22 cal plinker 22/45 pistol or 10-22 rifle

If you want a good pistol that isnt a 1911 I am a sig man so m11, p220, p226, p239, ect I own at least 30 Sig pistols... They are the best I ever used, all aspects... But you pay for it... I hate glocks Pjust figured I would add that in, its a $200 pistol the name allows them to charge $600 for...

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Ordered 1000 rounds of PMC bronze for $226.74 shipped. Hope it gets here soon :D

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was reminded tonight that I want a Herstal Five-seveN.
They're pretty cool, rather nice to shoot, but most certainly fall in the novelty category given how much ammo costs.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have an ar57 and the ammo is definitely costly and goes fast, I have apair of 57 pistols, and I dont shoot any of them much... I bought 500 rounds of 57 ammo and I want to say I have over 400 rounds left, I may have shot 50 through the rifle and 20 through 1 pistol...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Finally got my new Springfield XDs last night, going to go shoot it tomorrow, I'm so excited!

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
You folks need to consider re-loading. You can tune your ammo to your gun, and save money. You can also use better brass and bullets, and build precision rounds.

However, shooting is addicting. Most hand loaders end up spending about the same, but shooting a lot more.

It's amazing how much the costs of factory went up over the last 10 years or so. 1K of Lake City M193 (.223/5.56) used to go for $90 bucks back then. The only reason I've bought factory loaded cartridges (with the exception of rimfire, and shotgun shells) is for legal reasons. (Reloads / handloads might complicate a legal defense, should you ever be forced to use them in such a situation.)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I currently spend most of my time residing in an apartment. Not really a good location for a reloading rig. I already have a space for it at the house, but only being there on weekends and it being 3hrs away means time there is spent on other things.

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
I currently spend most of my time residing in an apartment. Not really a good location for a reloading rig. I already have a space for it at the house, but only being there on weekends and it being 3hrs away means time there is spent on other things.
I hear you there. It is something that takes some time, and a committment to get into. It is best as a second hobby, but pays dividends, and can be rewarding.

That wasn't meant as a suggestion specifically to anyone. Yet some of the cartridges mentioned here (and even .45 acp) are expensive. Some posters seemed in the discovery phase on shooting too.

itschris

itschris

I hear you there. It is something that takes some time, and a committment to get into. It is best as a second hobby, but pays dividends, and can be rewarding.

That wasn't meant as a suggestion specifically to anyone. Yet some of the cartridges mentioned here (and even .45 acp) are expensive. Some posters seemed in the discovery phase on shooting too.
Handgun rounds aren't that bad... but I just don't trust rifle rounds. I was next to my buddy, a long time, very skilled, shooter and loader, had a bad round that ended up causing a big KABOOM that literally ripped his upper apart and put a hole in his lower... not to mention i got in the neck with shrapnel... not enough to bleed but a lot closer to combat then I ever felt like being. It's amazing the damage one bad stuck round can cause.

At about $350/1000 for decent range rounds of 223, I just buy them. Back when I used to shoot competively, I made my own .38 super and .45 rounds. it was a lot of fun, but it takes committment to make it worthwhile.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I love my XD (ported 40 cal). Post your impressions... especially compared to Glock.
Just got back from the range. I shot 100 rounds through it, with zero issues. I love this litttle gun, it's small, light, accurate, and reliable (so far). It points really well, and shoots great, however it does have a good bit of recoil although it's managable, but that's to be expected from a .45 in that size package. It's not something I will take to the range very often since it isn't exactly a pleasure to shoot, but I will run a box through it every now and then to stay proficient with it. Overall I would highly reccomend this to anyone looking for a nice subcompact .45.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just got back from the range. I shot 100 rounds through it, with zero issues. I love this litttle gun, it's small, light, accurate, and reliable (so far). It points really well, and shoots great, however it does have a good bit of recoil although it's managable, but that's to be expected from a .45 in that size package. It's not something I will take to the range very often since it isn't exactly a pleasure to shoot, but I will run a box through it every now and then to stay proficient with it. Overall I would highly reccomend this to anyone looking for a nice subcompact .45.
I shot a full size, 5" .45 XD recently and I liked it. For compact, I think .40 is as big as I would go. I plan on picking up an M&P Sheild and will likely stick with 9mm for that because it makes it easier to pick up larger quantities of ammo.

On a side note, I was just looking for some snake shot the other day and the guy told me the county I live in there is one of the few in California that allows ordering ammo online :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
But how did it compare to a glock? say g30 or 38 gap?
I can not stand glocks, I own 3 but just hate them... I just got a brand new gen 4 g19 w/ crimson trace grips, in a trade {really wanted the ss blr that came with it but there was a $350 gap in the trade and he didnt want to pull out his wallet so I ended up with the g19}...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It's more like a Glock 36 than a 30, but I've only shot a 36 once, and that was just 1 magazine and not recent so I can't make a good direct comparison. The trigger pull is a bit heavier than on a glock, but feels quite similar in the way it takes up before it breaks, and in the way it resets after you shoot. I've never shot a glock chambered in 45 GAP, but I do own a Glock 21 and used to have the 30. The recoil is more of a push than a snap up, but the gun is so small and light it has more recoil than any Glock I've ever shot. The sights are pretty good as well, all steel, 3 dot and the front sight is fiber optic. I'll likely have a set of Truglo TFO night sights installed at some point, but for now it's fine the way it is. Overall I still love my Glocks and wouldn't trade them for anything, but the Smith and Wesson M&P line is also ver nice, I'm now tempted to get a M&P .45c but that will have to wait a while.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis