Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What do you use to strip the speaker wire? Do they make a tool that quickly and easily removes the shielding so I don't have to cut it off with a pocket knife?
I use wire strippers that I got at Radio Shack many years ago. You can set the gauge of the wire so that it only cuts the sheath and not the wire itself.

Now - that works great on the individual wires, but these cables have a secondary outer sheath that goes around both of them. That, for me, is a pain in the a**. That's what taking the longest time for me to do, is get that outer sheath off. Hopefully I'll get better at it. For now, I cut all the way around with a sharp edge at the place where I want it stripped to, I score the length of the to-be-stripped area with a sharp edge, I try to work the area where I first cut around it free enough to get a pair of pliers on it, and then I pull on it until it peels off.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Nice job on the wires. Sorry you bought the wrong amount a package is good for 5 channels...

I love the snake skin. I have a bunch of colors that's the best one...

Ps did you figure out the trick to get the covering on ? Kind of have to get 6 inches on then hold it and bunch it.... Easy once you get the hang of it...

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Nice job on the wires. Sorry you bought the wrong amount a package is good for 5 channels...
Thanks! And, yeah, I know that now. :D

Do you have a trick for stripping the outer sheath off of that cable? Btw, that's nice speaker cable. I'd never bought any like that before. The ones that I buy have the two conductors in sheaths that are side by side. Easier to strip, for sure, but not as easy to fit into those pants and get a nice fit, probably.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Alex beat me to it, I have the exact one... That wire is awesome especially for the price, but it can be a pain in the @ss. you can use a razor and cut the first sheath off how far down you need it, then leave the 2 ends coiled so you can feed it through the wire sheath, then strip it like regular wire...

Im surprised more people don't know about that karma cable, it is wrapped very tight made very well and very cheap...

Once its done its done, and with that wire you know its protected...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I use wire strippers that I got at Radio Shack many years ago. You can set the gauge of the wire so that it only cuts the sheath and not the wire itself.

Now - that works great on the individual wires, but these cables have a secondary outer sheath that goes around both of them. That, for me, is a pain in the a**. That's what taking the longest time for me to do, is get that outer sheath off. Hopefully I'll get better at it. For now, I cut all the way around with a sharp edge at the place where I want it stripped to, I score the length of the to-be-stripped area with a sharp edge, I try to work the area where I first cut around it free enough to get a pair of pliers on it, and then I pull on it until it peels off.
It's hard to tell from the pics if this will work, but this is usually my strategy.

Find where you want to make the cut and bend the cable back 180 degrees on itself, basically pinch it back down on itself and it puts a strain on the outer insulation.

Take a sharp razor blade and slice the area that is strained and the strain will kinda open it up. Reverse the direction of the bend to cover that cut and do the same to the other side. If that doesn't do it then bend it back one more time and slice whats left.

You score it all around then pull off the piece you detached.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Okay. So maybe I really am bad at math.

12 pairs of banana plugs isn't enough for 12 cables. Stupid, stupid, stupid....

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just ordered more banana plugs from Amazon. I have a s**t ton of Monoprice plugs, but I want them all to be the same.

I'm also about to order more wire pants...but now I'm nervous that I'll get the math wrong again. :eek: :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis