Bookshelf Speaker Recommendations ($1000 - $2500 and $2500 - $5000 range discussion)

S

scattershot

Audioholic
This is my quest to find the best bookshelf speaker in the price-range I can afford (between $1500- $2500 and between $2500 - $5000) but in the process I have listed a few suggestions in some different price ranges based on my readings on these forums.

For the sake of keeping things consistent we will only list the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP or “regular price”) as opposed to street price.

I would like to thank KEW in particular (as well as others like FirstReflection) for their contributions including this REALLY helpful thread:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/57469-notes-auditioning-speakers-9.html

For the sake of comparisons here, I am talking about utilizing these speakers in a 2.1 (or 2.0) setup which makes it easier to compare bookshelf speakers and reviews done in this manner I believe are MORE accurate for ascertaining individual bookshelf performance than 5.1/7.1 reviews.

In reality though I myself plan to run an identical 5.1 or 5.2 setup with 5 of the exact same bookshelf speakers which I believe will lead to superior imaging performance, as opposed to having a dedicated center channel or dipole-type surround speaker).

I had originally started a similar thread on the matter here:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/76809-help-need-%243000-five-speaker-recommendations-don%92t-like-my-klipsch-rb81-ii-system-5.html
But am linking this thread in case someone comes across this in a search because this thread is the one where I want the discussion to continue because this thread is more-focussed and (I believe) will be easier for people seeking similar information to find what they need.

If any of my MSRP’s are inaccurate please let me know.

!!! important note !!!:

For the sake of not muddying this thread, only post your thoughts if you have heard of any speakers that rival / surpass "The Contenders".
(e.g. if you haven't heard a comparison of any of "The Contenders" to the speaker you are recommending please refrain from commenting on recommending speaker model X because I want this thread to focus on the opinions of people who have heard some or all of the "The Contenders".

Last edited:
S

scattershot

Audioholic
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----- Ultra High-End Bookshelf Speakers (over $5000)

Really the skies the limit here (in terms or pricing) and I am not covering this class of speakers. So let’s keep this discussion to another thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----- High-End Bookshelf Speakers (between $2500 to $5000)

The only reason why I am even considering any speakers in this price range are because:
a) KEW mentions that a Beryllium tweeter is a big deal in terms of performance:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/648754-post123.html
A speaker whose MSRP is $3500 I may be able to get street price for $2500 (which is the upper limit of my price for each pair of bookshelf speakers in my 5.1/5.2 setup).

----- The Contenders’: -----

• RBH Signature Classic Reference Series 61-SE/R ($2750 a pair MSRP):
RBH 61-SE/R Bookshelf Speaker
RBH Sound Signature SE/R Series Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics

• Paradigm's Signature S2 v3’s ($3600 a pair MSRP):
Signature S2 - Welcome to the New Official Paradigm® Website.

• Focal Electra 1008 Be ($5000 a pair MSRP):
Focal Electra 1008 Be: high end bookshelf hifi loudspeakers

----- Mid-Range Bookshelf Speakers (between $1000 to $2500)

(Originally this was the sweet spot, e.g. “best bang for buck” pricing I was looking for.
It is my hope that the brand new SVS Ultra’s will be amongst the best value in this sector so I eagerly await its reviews and comparisons.

----- The Contenders’: -----

• RBH Signature SX Reference Series SX-61/R ($1900 a pair MSRP):
Bookshelf: RBH SX-61/R Bookshelf Speaker
RBH Sound SX-61/R Bookshelf Speakers Video Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/76648-rbh-sound-sx-61-r-bookshelf-speakers-video-review.html

• Paradigm's Studio 20 v5’s ($1600 a pair MSRP):
Studio 20 - Welcome to the New Official Paradigm® Website.

• Focal Solo6 Be Monitors ($2200 a pair MSRP):
Solo6 Be studio speaker. Focal Professional studio monitor loudspeakers

----- Other Model’s of Interest (Perhaps Honorable Mentions): ----

(These models aren’t yet regarded as high-performing as the models above (in the same price-range but future reviews by experts like KEW might reveal otherwise.

• Tannoy Definition DC8 Bookshelf ($2000 a pair MSRP)
-these speakers are some BIG wildcards supposed to be very accurate speakers but haven’t seen them in comparative-style reviews.
http://www.tannoy.com/ResidentialSummary.aspx#&&d2/GTd6EwQ8XvZP9xBk8LCpMAATIjeOGyKP4ne4mCBlnBcIpVkX5P5C1biK0yKewgTHfpG9dd3kADzLgAqUH89hvqNLXLDC06JB4zvP6hbGn1osUkeyfqxusy472HP4DhDO4V2ofHFhbEL/bopFPTFYDpk8vNSqgPWNM8VaQyRKLTmJrQrpXcAxPC6xZaBUxm3eX/X7zi20WXfkuZ/CteA==

• Salk SongSurround II's ($1500 a pair MSRP):
SongSurround Overview/Pricing

• Focal Chorus 806 V ($2000 a pair MSRP):
http://www.focal.com/en/home-audio-loudspeakers/hifi-speakers/bookshelf-speakers/chorus-806-v.php

----- Lower-End Bookshelf Speakers (under $1000)

Not the focus of my thread so let's keep this discussion to another thread. Models I have listed below scratch the surface of performing similar to speakers in the $1000 - $2500 range).

----- Other Model’s of Interest (Perhaps Honorable Mentions): ----

Salk SongSurround I's ($900 a pair MSRP):
http://www.salksound.com/songsurround overview - pricing.htm
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/614125-post75.html

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Reference Monitor ($850 a pair MSRP):
Sierra-1 Bamboo Loudspeaker
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4088

Last edited:
S

scattershot

Audioholic
The 5 identical bookshelf speakers I get I plan to utilize with either a single SVS PB13-ULTRA (e.g. a 5.1 setup)
PB13-ULTRA - SVS

or a dual setup PB12-PLUS (e.g. a 7.1 setup):
PB12-PLUS - SVS

and because I have a space-challenged suite the speakers need to be bookshelf’s and not towers otherwise I would ALWAYS recommend someone consider tower speakers over bookshelf speakers if they have the space.

Hope this thread helped other people in the same situation as me out (e.g. researching their purchases) out. I'll try to update the findings in post #2 (and links to relevant thread in post #4) as new information comes in.

Last edited:
S

scattershot

Audioholic
Here is where I will ad a list of related threads to the "Contendors" speakers as well as shoot-out / comparison articles.

----- Threads of Interest: Related to the Speaker Ranges Described -----

Face-Off III: RBH 61-LSE:
Face-Off III: RBH 61-LSE — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Here's where KEW reviewed them against the Sigs and Salks:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/59911-focal-solo6-vs-paradigm-s2-vs-salk-songtower-pt1.html

Notes from auditioning speakers (a GREAT ongoign thread):
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/57469-notes-auditioning-speakers-13.html

2010 Great Northwest GTG:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/67150-2010-great-northwest-gtg-10.html

----- Threads of Interest: NOT Related to the Speaker Ranges Described -----

Budget Bookshelf Speaker Shootout 2009
Budget Bookshelf Speaker Shootout 2009 — Reviews and News from Audioholics

S

scattershot

Audioholic
Ok here's where we can begin the questions and additions.

I could really use the help of KEW, FirstReflection or other experienced people to answer the 3 questions below in regards to a 5.1/5.2 setup that I plan on running,

Question 1:
In regards to the front speakers, if I can have ALL 3 speakers on the same level / height, from what I understand I am better off considering 3 IDENTICAL bookshelf speakers for the front left/right and center speaker rather than a dedicated center speaker (e.g. horizontal design)?

Question 2:
I was thinking about purchasing 2 IDENTICAL bookshelf speakers for my two surround speakers. They would be like 6 feet behind my listening location pointing to the front of the room (e.g. the front bookshelfs’) and would be placed slightly wider then my listening location. From what I understand with the topic of speaker imaging, utilizing 2 surround bookshelf speakers that are IDENTICAL to my 3 front speakers would provide for superior imaging?

Question 3:
Are any of the speakers in the 2 ranges described e.g.:
..... "High-End Bookshelf Speakers (between $2500 to $5000)"
..... "Mid-Range Bookshelf Speakers (between $1000 to $2500)"
too "high-end" to be adequately matched to this class of receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver:
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR809&class=Receiver&p=i

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In your price range, and given the former issue with Klipsch, I'm going to recommend listening to some speakers before doing anything else. You have Paradigm Studios listed and if you didn't like Klipsch, you may not like the Paradigms either, which tells me you need to go listen. Both good speakers though both also have a sonic signature, maybe more for the Klipsch than the 'Digms, that some people like and others don't. As a former Paradigm owner, I can say that.

Don't even look at what you are going to power them with until you have chosen the speakers.

Sub = if you looked no further you would be fine :D There are a lot of great choices, but either of the SVSs should work fine.

For bookshelf speakers, you can go either way with respect to "identical". My former setup was just that, 5 identical speakers. I have switched to using my smaller speakers as surrounds because I moved and no longer have the room for the larger ones. A well designed center will not be a liability, though if you can do identical for the front three, IMHO, it is an ideal situation. For the surrounds, it is not as critical as long as they are voiced the same as the mains, but again, identical would be ideal. You don't always need ideal to have excellent sound.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I'm so lost, lol...

I have listened to a couple of the speakers you listed.. But there was a lot of questions and I get easily distracted so if I missed the entire point to your thread Im sorry...

First, I wouldnt set your surrounds 6ft behind you, I have tried with mine every where and the best place is to the left and right of the listener pointed at each other...

Next is the Onkyo 809, you are going to spend $2500+ on a pair of book shelfs but power them with an avr {I know a lot of people do this and it is fine but... I dont know Im stupid... I seen such a big difference going from an avr to separate amp it seems crazy not to do it that way all the time}..

But anyway,

I have listened to a lot of bookshelfs and another one you should consider is the Wharfedale Jade 3's, I bought a set and Im going to build a 2.2 system around them {$1500 in all colors but piano} WHARFEDALE JADE 3 BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct

They sounded very clear, dynamic, and invisable {you close your eyes and they just dissapeared} very good projection.... A really nice speaker...

I am going to power mine with an Emotiva xpa-3 {b stock $600} and if I ever want to upgrade it to a theater system just add a set of surrounds, and a jade center....

But as far as useing very expensive bookshelfs for surrounds, I see it as a waste, I noticed that surround duty is very little, so powering them with your avr and using lesser speakers gives the same result, as powering them with a big amp and using $1000 each bookshelfs.... They literally only light up for effects, hardley ever voice and if they do play voice its supposed to sound off in the distance... Usually a car horn, phone ringing, door opening, or footsteps.... Just not worth spending a ton of money on something a $100 speaker can do and you want know the difference...

The best analogy I can think of is, you buy $2000 a peice wheels for your car, and buy the matching spare that goes in the trunk, and that actually is more useful than an expensive surround speaker {Im talking over expensive not a htib speaker, which probably would work in a pretty high end system too....

OK, anyway, hope I helped...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We have just had near enough the same question recently asked.

My reply is was this.

These speakers would be ideal for your application. They are small enough to use as a center channel without turning one on its side.

They are sealed and therefore have a roll off of 12 db per octave. The 6 db point is 60 Hz. So they meet the ideal specifications for a THX system.

I can guarantee they will outperform the speakers on your short list.

A member ADTG as just ordered a pair, and he should have them tomorrow. I'm sure he will report promptly. You are not wrong in thinking five identical speakers will give you a leg up.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ok here's where we can begin the questions and additions.

I could really use the help of KEW, FirstReflection or other experienced people to answer the 3 questions below in regards to a 5.1/5.2 setup that I plan on running,

Question 1:
In regards to the front speakers, if I can have ALL 3 speakers on the same level / height, from what I understand I am better off considering 3 IDENTICAL bookshelf speakers for the front left/right and center speaker rather than a dedicated center speaker (e.g. horizontal design)?

Question 2:
I was thinking about purchasing 2 IDENTICAL bookshelf speakers for my two surround speakers. They would be like 6 feet behind my listening location pointing to the front of the room (e.g. the front bookshelfs’) and would be placed slightly wider then my listening location. From what I understand with the topic of speaker imaging, utilizing 2 surround bookshelf speakers that are IDENTICAL to my 3 front speakers would provide for superior imaging?

Question 3:
Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR809 - 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

Thanks for the help guys.
I'm afraid I cannot help on item 1. I don't have a center speaker.

For item 2, usually dipoles are recommended. I'm not sure you really want to look to your surrounds for imaging. HT is not my thing. First Reflection is a good source for this info.
FWIW, I have Mirage OMD-5's for my surrounds (Sig. 2's for fronts - 4.2 HT system). I got the OMD's because they were dirt cheap (via Vann's) but good speakers, they look really nice, and (this may be completely wrong) I believe that having the omni-directional design helps for a better surround experience. For as little as comes out of them, I am glad I didn't buy high dollar speakers for surrounds.

For item 3, the only concern is that your speakers may be difficult to drive. It is not a matter of how expensive or how good the speakers are, it is mainly a matter of the choices the speaker designers made. Generally speaking, your receiver should be fine, especially if you are using a subwoofer and crossing your bookshelf speakers with a high pass filter (not making them play the lowest notes). Just get the speakers that sound best to you. The worst case scenario is you may have to add an amp later, but your Onkyo has Pre-outs so that is no problem. Once you know which speakers and how big your room is and how loud you listen, you can get good feedback here on whether the Onkyo's amp section is adequate.
There may be slightly better pre-amps out there, but speakers are so much more important than the electronics, I just wouldn't get too concerned. Your Onkyo is a nice enough unit and receiver design is a mature science. If you are into HT, your receiver is probably the first thing that will become obsolete, so be wary of investing too much in a receiver!
HTH
Cheers,
Kurt

S

scattershot

Audioholic
In your price range, and given the former issue with Klipsch, I'm going to recommend listening to some speakers before doing anything else. You have Paradigm Studios listed and if you didn't like Klipsch, you may not like the Paradigms either, which tells me you need to go listen. Both good speakers though both also have a sonic signature, maybe more for the Klipsch than the 'Digms, that some people like and others don't. As a former Paradigm owner, I can say that.

Don't even look at what you are going to power them with until you have chosen the speakers.

Sub = if you looked no further you would be fine :D There are a lot of great choices, but either of the SVSs should work fine.

For bookshelf speakers, you can go either way with respect to "identical". My former setup was just that, 5 identical speakers. I have switched to using my smaller speakers as surrounds because I moved and no longer have the room for the larger ones. A well designed center will not be a liability, though if you can do identical for the front three, IMHO, it is an ideal situation. For the surrounds, it is not as critical as long as they are voiced the same as the mains, but again, identical would be ideal. You don't always need ideal to have excellent sound.
You are right that the Klipsch RB-81 II's shared some sonic similarities to the Paradigm studio 20's (as opposed to Tannoy, Focal, and Jamo speakers which sound VERY different, e.g. more warm and natural).

But then again I may need to get the Paradigmn's in my living room with my gear and test discs to accurately compare.

Thanks for your thoughts on speaker matching, I mean I have the PERFECT setup for utilitizing 5 identical bookshelfs, so as long as I am not hurting my sound by going with an identical over a bookshelf (in fact one would think the imaging would be superior) then I will stick with 5 identical bookshelfs.

I know for rears that dipoles give better room coverage (Especially as they bounce off the walls) but I think having 2 identical rears would provide an imaging advantage with the front speakers (someone with a knowledge of sound physics long ago explained to me why 2 matching speakers are critical to excellent imaging -- room aucostics not withstanding).

S

scattershot

Audioholic
I'm so lost, lol...

I have listened to a couple of the speakers you listed.. But there was a lot of questions and I get easily distracted so if I missed the entire point to your thread Im sorry...

First, I wouldnt set your surrounds 6ft behind you, I have tried with mine every where and the best place is to the left and right of the listener pointed at each other...

Next is the Onkyo 809, you are going to spend $2500+ on a pair of book shelfs but power them with an avr {I know a lot of people do this and it is fine but... I dont know Im stupid... I seen such a big difference going from an avr to separate amp it seems crazy not to do it that way all the time}..

But anyway,

I have listened to a lot of bookshelfs and another one you should consider is the Wharfedale Jade 3's, I bought a set and Im going to build a 2.2 system around them {$1500 in all colors but piano} WHARFEDALE JADE 3 BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct

They sounded very clear, dynamic, and invisable {you close your eyes and they just dissapeared} very good projection.... A really nice speaker...

I am going to power mine with an Emotiva xpa-3 {b stock $600} and if I ever want to upgrade it to a theater system just add a set of surrounds, and a jade center....

But as far as useing very expensive bookshelfs for surrounds, I see it as a waste, I noticed that surround duty is very little, so powering them with your avr and using lesser speakers gives the same result, as powering them with a big amp and using $1000 each bookshelfs.... They literally only light up for effects, hardley ever voice and if they do play voice its supposed to sound off in the distance... Usually a car horn, phone ringing, door opening, or footsteps.... Just not worth spending a ton of money on something a $100 speaker can do and you want know the difference...

The best analogy I can think of is, you buy $2000 a peice wheels for your car, and buy the matching spare that goes in the trunk, and that actually is more useful than an expensive surround speaker {Im talking over expensive not a htib speaker, which probably would work in a pretty high end system too....

OK, anyway, hope I helped...
Hey let me hit at your points:

1)
In regards to surround positioning, I know the location you described is ideal but it's impossible at my place and I'm pretty confident I've researched the room physics enough that I have them in the "least worst" position.

I would recommend anyone before buying rear speakers to research where the best place they should go (a subject for another thread, didn't want to convolute this one).

2)
In regards to the quality of amp required, the thing is there are a lot of myths perpetrated in regards to speaker wiring, hdmi cables, amps, etc. so I was hoping for a person who is an expert with the background if they could confirm my question 3 below:

Question 3:
Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR809 - 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

I didn't want to speculate on the answer with other people like myself who don't have the background.

Just trying to find out if diminishing returns sets in if I buy a more expensive AVR (or dedicated amp) with let's say a $1500 speaker OR if I am better off buying one of the $2500-$5000 class of speakers and if my Onkyo 809 will be sufficient...

3)
Thanks for the wharfdale recommendation.

Like I said my hope for this thread is that people who have tried a LOT of the top contendors (like KEW) could share their thoughts and recommendations rather then people like you and myself who have only tried a limited amount of speakers off our suggestions.

The models I placed at the top of this thread where the one's I could see people who did comparitive shoot-outs recommended, and I am hoping this thread will get more of them to offer the analyses from comparisons of other models that rival the one's I listed at the beginning of this thread... this in a nutshell is the point of this thread.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My current and previous setup allows for identical speakers

With regards to surrounds speaker quality, it entirely depends on what you are after. I tend to listen to a lot of multichannel music and matching speakers makes a very noticeable difference there. For music, I also prefer monopole surrounds vs bi/dipole. With movies, you can get away with something less ideal.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
For bookshelfs I would be looking at the Vaporsound Aurora, Vaporsound Arcus, Salk M8, and Soundfield M1.

If you can go big, then also consider a Gedlee Abbey or a Danley SH-50.

S

scattershot

Audioholic
For item 3, the only concern is that your speakers may be difficult to drive. It is not a matter of how expensive or how good the speakers are, it is mainly a matter of the choices the speaker designers made. Generally speaking, your receiver should be fine, especially if you are using a subwoofer and crossing your bookshelf speakers with a high pass filter (not making them play the lowest notes). Just get the speakers that sound best to you. The worst case scenario is you may have to add an amp later, but your Onkyo has Pre-outs so that is no problem. Once you know which speakers and how big your room is and how loud you listen, you can get good feedback here on whether the Onkyo's amp section is adequate.
There may be slightly better pre-amps out there, but speakers are so much more important than the electronics, I just wouldn't get too concerned. Your Onkyo is a nice enough unit and receiver design is a mature science. If you are into HT, your receiver is probably the first thing that will become obsolete, so be wary of investing too much in a receiver!
HTH
Cheers,
Kurt
Thanks Kurt you answered that question solidly so I no longer need it answered!

I guess you are saying that if:
-the nominal impedance of the speakers is too low
-the sensitivity of the speakers is too low
-or the room is too big

that I may need a more powerful AVR (or dedicated amp).

However, if the Onkyo 809 AVR can properly drive my speakers, then there isn't much sound quality to be gained by going for a higher-end AVR or dedicated amp right?

That is great news because I'd rather upgrade my amp say every 2-3 years rather and place the money I save on higher-end equipment towards buying the best speakers (and SVS subs) I can by.

Thanks!

S

scattershot

Audioholic
We have just had near enough the same question recently asked.

My reply is was this.

These speakers would be ideal for your application. They are small enough to use as a center channel without turning one on its side.

They are sealed and therefore have a roll off of 12 db per octave. The 6 db point is 60 Hz. So they meet the ideal specifications for a THX system.

I can guarantee they will outperform the speakers on your short list.

A member ADTG as just ordered a pair, and he should have them tomorrow. I'm sure he will report promptly. You are not wrong in thinking five identical speakers will give you a leg up.
Thanks for the links I eagerly look forward to AcuDefTechGuy review:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/909771-post6.html

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/81736-best-bookshelfs-under-1k-contemporary-classical-3.html#post913655

S

scattershot

Audioholic
With regards to surrounds speaker quality, it entirely depends on what you are after. I tend to listen to a lot of multichannel music and matching speakers makes a very noticeable difference there. For music, I also prefer monopole surrounds vs bi/dipole. With movies, you can get away with something less ideal.
I think you hit the nail on the head exactly.

For someone who puts a priority on music listening, like myself, monopoles are my preference.

On the other hand, for my friends who prefer movies and video games and can't really discern good sound, I'd recommend dipoles because they are more "lively"

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the links I eagerly look forward to AcuDefTechGuy review:
I missed FedEx today. :(

Hopefully I will have better luck tomorrow and get the ATC SCM7.

Acoustic Transducer Company's flagship speaker cost $85,000/pr. Hopefully I will get a little taste of that greatness. :D

S

scattershot

Audioholic
I missed FedEx today. :(

Hopefully I will have better luck tomorrow and get the ATC SCM7.

Acoustic Transducer Company's flagship speaker cost $85,000/pr. Hopefully I will get a little taste of that greatness. :D
God nothing sucks more than eagerly awaiting for a new to and find out it's been delayed another day! Feel your pain brutha ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Got the Acoustic Transducer Company (ATC) SCM7 today. They were wrapped in white cloth bags, packed with foams, and double-boxed. Very nice packing.

They are placed on 42" speaker stands in my family room, hooked to the Adcom speaker selector #4 (#3 is Phil3, #2 is Focal 826V, #1 is Dynaudio X32). The speakers are powered by my Denon 3312 in 2.1 Stereo mode, no EQ, DSP, or Audyssey RC. XO set to 80Hz. Speakers set to Small. Sub mode set to LFE.

All speakers share four Velodyne SC-600 subs (unpowered 10" subs), which are powered by an ATI AT2004 amp.

I listened to my usual music like Yo-Yo Ma/ Ennio Morriscone, Anne-Sophie Mutter/ Beethoven, Inception OST, Dark Knight Rises OST, Dave Mathews/ Tim Reynolds Radio City Hall, Phil3 Demo CD.

My impression is that the ATC speakers sound fantastic.

The midrange is detailed and and crystal clear, treble is smooth, and soundstage is wide and deep. In 2.1 mode w/ my 4 Velodyne, they sound like giant towers.

Afterwards, I tried to test their dynamics with some karaoke. :eek: :D

I like songs such as Chris Cornel's "You Know My Name" from Casino Royale because they beg me to scream and shout into the microphone. :eek: :D

The ATC sound great with karaoke as well. :D

BTW, I have sang karaoke with the Focal, Dynaudio, and Phil3 as well. :D

So in conclusion, I think the ATC SCM7 are excellent sounding bookshelf speakers. I don't know if they sound like their $85,000 flagship speakers, but since they are built in-house in the same factory in England and share the basic same technology (sans the higher end components :D) I bet some trickled-down benefits are at play. The SCM7 are great sounding speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis