Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Dave - been a while!

Both of those statements are so true... :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Okay - not my theater, but audio related.

So, I just got my new computer speakers connected and working. Took a little longer than it had to because, as I was trying to unplug one of my unused peripherals from the power outlet...I unplugged my computer. :eek:

I got a Creative ZiiSound T6 Wireless Surround Sound System. Don't let the description or picture fool you. The satellites are wired to the sub, and the control module is wired to the sub. The "wireless" portion is that the speakers can connect to a bluetooth source. I've choosen to use the USB cable connection.

My first set of "real" computer speakers were Altec Lansings from the late 90's. The sub was surprisingly awesome - large, solid enclosure with an 8" driver. The satellites were kinda crappy, though. I replaced those with a set of Creative 5.1 speakers in the early 2000's - much better satellites, but a sorry-a** excuse for a sub. I mean, sorry. Very lightweight with a much smaller box and a ~5" driver. Based on the description and picture, I was really looking forward to trying out this sub.

I unpacked this set of Creative speakers and noticed that the sub module is pretty lightweight and not all that large. "Uggg," I thought, "more of the same." Ummm...WRONG. Holy eff. This sub is louder than ish. I have the bass adjustment on the sub turned all the way down and it still crushes my previous sub...and the Altec Lansing. Plus, the satellites seem to have quite a bit better high end than what I had before. I'm not sure yet about the midrange, but I think that I'll be able to get it all dialed in.

Long story short - big grin. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've pulled the IPS-1 out of the entertainment center to take the lid off and connect a fifth amp module. My new pair of NHT 1.5s is set up in the back for 7.1 (an upgrade from my current 6.1), and I just need to connect up the amp and run some speaker wire. That should all get done tonight...I hope. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Finally got all of the speaker wires run and connections made, and MCAAC is running right now.

I'm looking forward to trying out Thor in 7.1!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It was nice of that guy to post pad in your thread. :)

Thor is in 7.1 ?!? Now that I have a BR player with the analog outs I'm going to re-rent that. My g/f won't mind ... I think she's got a thing for that (insert something derogatory ... steroid munching nutless wonder comes to mind).

Anyway ... the rear center w/ shelf is to come down, huh? Maybe I can offer some help with the patching of the holes. I'm still looking forward to watching your video clip of the sub review but please post a pic of the new speakers and the damage left by the removal of the rear center.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It was nice of that guy to post pad in your thread. :)
Indeed! I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a long, rambling prose about the virtues of buying good shoes...but I'll take what I can get. :D

Thor is in 7.1 ?!? Now that I have a BR player with the analog outs I'm going to re-rent that. My g/f won't mind ... I think she's got a thing for that (insert something derogatory ... steroid munching nutless wonder comes to mind).
Oh, heck yes, it's 7.1. With my receiver, if I run it in "Direct" mode with six speakers, it only plays 5.1 because it won't mix that rear center - but if I use DSP, then it will run 6.1. With seven speakers now, I get 7.1 regardless. :) As for Thor, yeah...like she's the only one in your house all giddy when he's shirtless. :p

Anyway ... the rear center w/ shelf is to come down, huh? Maybe I can offer some help with the patching of the holes. I'm still looking forward to watching your video clip of the sub review but please post a pic of the new speakers and the damage left by the removal of the rear center.
I probably won't take that rear center down for a while, if ever. I need to decide if I like the extra two speakers on stands on my rear wall (will post pictures soon). The rear center isn't on a shelf - that MartinLogan is really light and mounted with four screws (two screws for each of the small, flush-mount wall brackets). I think that I used the drywall inserts, though...so a little larger patching.

I'll gladly take advice on how to patch the drywall. Shortly after moving in, I had the end of a bed frame fall into the wall right there, and it left two roughly 1" x 2" holes. I initially patched them using cut-to-size envelope paper, double-sided tape, and then painted those using a toothbrush. :D It actually blended in really well except for the lack of texture - so when I repainted my living room, I bought textured patches and replaced the envelopes.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, here's a new picture of the rear wall. There's a storm rolling through, so I apologize for the poor lighting. The new speakers are the ones on the outside, setting on 24" Sanus stands.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm intrigued. My original NHT 1.5s get the same EQ adjustments in MCAAC as each other, and my new NHT 1.5s get the same EQ adjustments as each other, but the new ones get a different EQ than the originals. The new ones do have a higher serial number, and the badge on the grill is different. I wonder if they got updated crossovers as time went on.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I knew that I'd find a use for that Swiffer Sweeper. :)

Btw, the bottom indentation on the mic fit the top of the handle perfectly.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I presume that is not the measuring position? That would put your ears around stomach level. Nice DIY :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I presume that is not the measuring position? That would put your ears around stomach level. Nice DIY :)
Yep, that's one of my listening positions. :) I eat on the floor with Niki, so I have one of the MCAAC positions set for that. I have one more for the couch, and one for the chair that's off to the side.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Yep, that's one of my listening positions. :) I eat on the floor with Niki, so I have one of the MCAAC positions set for that. I have one more for the couch, and one for the chair that's off to the side.
Then shouldn't you have placed the microphone in a dish on the floor? :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm feeling inspired enough today to do something that I've wanted to do ever since I finished my sub review - hook both Ultras up. :) I waited to hook up my new rear speakers until the review was posted, and I got that done last weekend. I'm not sure how long the calibration will take for two subs (it's all manual), but hopefully not too bad. 7.2 (at least until I ship the SB13 back). Man, I'm all grown up. :D

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I'm feeling inspired enough today to do something that I've wanted to do ever since I finished my sub review - hook both Ultras up. :) I waited to hook up my new rear speakers until the review was posted, and I got that done last weekend. I'm not sure how long the calibration will take for two subs (it's all manual), but hopefully not too bad. 7.2 (at least until I ship the SB13 back). Man, I'm all grown up. :D
Sooooo, what's it like with 2 Ultras ... please inform us "sub envious" people!

Steve

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis