Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Still waiting...:p
I hear ya. :) I was waiting for Gene to open the contest thread or to give the go ahead to start a new thread like pbc (which he recently did). That was a good idea on pbc's part, btw. I think it might make it easier for people to see the reviews.

To be fair to pbc, I didn't change a thing about mine after I posted early this morning that I was done. When I flipped through his, there were things that were very similar to what I'd done, and I was nervous that people would think that I copied him.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm really interested to see what people think of the new SB13-Ultra, now that SVS has their page active and pictures/measurements are out there. I know how excited I was five years ago when they announced the new PC13-Ultra, because I had been waiting for a while for that to happen.

Matt34

Matt34

I hear ya. :) I was waiting for Gene to open the contest thread or to give the go ahead to start a new thread like pbc (which he recently did). That was a good idea on pbc's part, btw. I think it might make it easier for people to see the reviews.

To be fair to pbc, I didn't change a thing about mine after I posted early this morning that I was done. When I flipped through his, there were things that were very similar to what I'd done, and I was nervous that people would think that I copied him.
Waiting for my slow internet to load your video.

I'm warning you now, if Niki doesn't make a guest appearance, you might get temp banned.

:p

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Seems like Alex should be posting around now...
Sorry to have let you down. :D

I'll try to have something for you tomorrow.

I dreamed that I was smoking a cigarette. In the dream even though I was so thoroughly enjoying it I worried that I had just signed back up on the smoke for the rest of your life plan ... but I smoked on. Man ... :rolleyes:

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Sorry to have let you down. :D

I'll try to have something for you tomorrow.

I dreamed that I was smoking a cigarette. In the dream even though I was so thoroughly enjoying it I worried that I had just signed back up on the smoke for the rest of your life plan ... but I smoked on. Man ... :rolleyes:
i used to have dreams like that... except not cigs...
but i gave in and life is good again

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
After only three hours of sleep, today wasn't nearly as tough as I had expected. Let's face it, lack of sleep is a younger person's game. Luckily, caffeine isn't just for the young. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Only another week or two until I get my new sub :D Hopefully it's as good as I hope, then I can get a few more.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It's like you're psychic....:p

I just started watching your subwoofer review and voila a reply :D

I'm getting a Pierce Audio 1K2 and then building a custom box for it. I've spoken fairly extensively with Paul Pierce and he's providing me with detailed box plans so all I have to do is translate to MDF and Ply.

On a related note, I explained exactly what I wanted out of this sub and he's tweaking how he builds it so that it will meet my performance expectations. If you're interested I told him I wanted a sealed sub (since this will be my first build) that would reach as deep as possible. I was actually contacting him about the 6K subwoofers but he told me that for a sealed sub I should get the 1K. Not many guys would talk you out of spending $1100, which pretty much sold me on giving him and his subs a shot.

Almost forgot, it's the 18" version of the 1K.

Here's a picture of the new cone that he's using and we are both currently waiting for him to take delivery of.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
An 18" cone sounds awesome to me...truly (the Funk Audio subs tempt me), but I know that I wouldn't be able to fit it where I'd want it. Congrats on getting one, though! The SB13 is (and I risk sounding like a fanboy) one effing fantastic sub for my needs.

Would you mind sharing what you want out of the sub?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have no doubt that it is. It looks awesome and I bet it sounds tremendous. Honestly, it would probably work just fine for me :D

Because I have the Phil 3's I'm not worried about crossing too high, somewhere between 60-80Hz works just fine for me. Add in that my room and space isn't huge and probably won't be for a good long while and a high crossover point is really low on the list (I'm thinking funk TSAD when I say that).

I wanted something that would play decently loud, but max SPL also wasn't a big concern, again the whole small space thing. I also wanted to get into that ~20Hz area while remaining as flat as possible. All this had to be accomplished in a sealed enclosure. After a little research I figured that an 18" subwoofer would be the best option. Originally I was leaning towards the LMS-Ultra and the RE XXX for my commercial options and then I stumbled onto Pierce Audio and a few other smaller scale operations and began to look into them.

I read theJman's review of the rumba which uses a pierce driver and decided to contact them and see what was up. I talked to Paul a few times, he answered all my questions and he custom builds every order (I think) so as I talked to him he just said stuff like "Oh yea we'll swap this out for this and change this and adjust this and then I'll measure and get the exact specs for your sub and design the box off of that." I went wow count me in. I'll risk $350 because if it works out the upside is just too good......and by too good I mean that I'll probably be rocking 4 of these things if he delivers. :D

Matt34

Matt34

I hate this, I get up and go to work and you all go to bed. Who is going to entertain me?

Oh, that's right, the one spammer that comes around in about an hour and posts in about a half dozen threads with hidden enbedded links.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm here for you, Matt. Well...not for long. Time to go to bed.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe it's a sign but I'm starting to worry that waking up and looking up spec's on NEC 725-38 RG 59 might mean that there is something fundamentally wrong with me ... good wire though, huh? :)

This is making me late for work.

Oh yeah ... review boy ... nice job.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I dreamed that I was smoking a cigarette.
In the dream even though I was so thoroughly enjoying it I worried that I had just signed back up on the smoke for the rest of your life plan ... but I smoked on. Man ... :rolleyes:

Don't tell me you had this dream...again:eek:
(wait for the 25 second mark)

Last edited by a moderator:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe it's a sign but I'm starting to worry that waking up and looking up spec's on NEC 725-38 RG 59 might mean that there is something fundamentally wrong with me ... good wire though, huh? :)

Stay away from that ..its VP is only 84 ....not high enough to get you into college!! :p

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

That's not why there is something fundamentally wrong with you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis