High quality sound albums

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favorite sounding albums is Third Eye Blinds Self-Titled album on CD. It was a rare early 90's recording the defied the concept of the loudness wars.
I think it is on our list already but I will double check.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I usually only listen in the living room when my wife is not home because she doesn't like some of the music I listen to. :D

But I played the Adele album for her on the Phil3.

She actually loved it and said that the sound is so crystal clear - like Adele was in the living room. She didn't hear any distortion either.

Perhaps you are super sensitive. :D
Well, it would seem that I am not the only one who noticed something, may not be distortion but something... Found this review over at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/review/R1MWRIZJQU3G6O/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt/183-0356086-7217511#R1MWRIZJQU3G6O):

".............. I was worried about Adele having so many throat problems while on tour and when she had surgery in early summer, I was expecting a drastic notice in her voice. You do hear her throat a little scratchy in the dvd/cd but the "imperfections" only managed to bring more truth to the songs.

It should be in everyone's bucket list to catch an Adele show- I guarantee she is not to be missed!................" "Scratchy, was indeed one of the adjective I used to described what I heard that I thought of as some form of distortion due to her biting the mike....... ", now I know may be there was a real reason, thanks to that reviewer's observation.

Regardless, I must have re-watched it 3 or 4 times since yesterday, really highly recommended, whoever recommended it first (don't remember now), thanks again.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I asked mine too and she heard no distortion either. :confused: But can you email her for me and tell her to stay a couple more inches away from the mike in future live concerts?:D
I listened to that song again. It might sound a little "bright". Seems on "edge" and "dangerous". But I didn't hear any "distortion", which would be crackling or popping sound. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just listened to Sarah Jarosz's "Song Up in Her Head" album on my 802D2. I highly recommend it as high quality album. Very nice. Check it out.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just listened to Sarah Jarosz's "Song Up in Her Head" album on my 802D2. I highly recommend it as high quality album. Very nice. Check it out.
Will do, I just ordered the Yo-Yo/Ennio you recommended, not cheap but you said it was good and I trust you.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Will do, I just ordered the Yo-Yo/Ennio you recommended, not cheap but you said it was good and I trust you.:D
That is a must have to me. But I'm too cheap to buy. :eek:

But listen to the MP3 files first (like I said in the PM). If you like, then buy. :D

As for me, no more spending money on CDs since that can be quite expensive and I'm too cheap. :D

I've been listening to Sarah Jarosz's Song Up in Her Head. The whole album about 6 times now. :eek: It's addictive. :eek: You should check out the MP3 320kbps files first. ;)

I had sent DenPureSound a copy of "Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Hall" album about 2 weeks before he passed away. Sad that he probably never even got the chance to listen to it. Just sad. :(

But in terms of quality, I think Mathews/Reynolds/Radio City and Yo-Yo/Ennio are #1. I would say Sarah Jarosz/Song Up in Her Head is my #2.

I could play these 3 albums over and over again. They sound so good that your speakers will thank you and love you for it. :D

And after you hear them, you won't even want to buy another pair of speakers because your current speakers already sound so great.:D

But MP3 320kbps first!

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Take a look at Ray Monford - Shed your skin

Amazing recording. Acoustic guitar.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Anne-Sophie Mutter plays vivaldi's The Four Seasons

I've listened to about 10 different Vivaldi Four Seasons recordings over the years. And I have to say that the Anne-Sophie Mutter version is the best quality recording of them all. It may or may not be the best interpretation. But I think the recording quality is arguably the best.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Got this tonight and I really like it. Someone here on the forum recommended it.

Info: http://jienat.com

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Trev

Audioholic
Don't have much time to read through all the pages of recommendations for High Quality sound albums...

But I recommend Glitch artist Tipper.

Tipper - Broken Soul Jamboree
Tipper - Puzzle Dust EP
Tipper - Bubble Control EP
Tipper - Surrounded (DVDA-DTS-CD)

Sample - Broken Spectre (Set to 720p) Youtube still doesn't do it justice.

And to just chill, and dim the lights, get a drink...

Bohren & der Club of Gore. Don't be put off by the name. Trust me. It's an experience. Genre - Dark Jazz. 720p.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the best album ever is "Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone". Best. Ever. Every single song is just breathtaking. Amazing.

Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City is second.

Listening on KEF Reference 201/2 + RBH Reference SX-1010N now.
Okay I finally have something to disagree (slightly I guess) with you. I have now listened to Yo Yo plays Ennio Morricone many times. The music is fantastic from beginning to end but I don't find the recording quality top notch. It is good, but not as good as my other Yo Yo album. I consider it's sound quality just average to above average among my SACD and HD flac collections. Still, highly recommended to anyone who enjoy high quality sound and good music.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't have much time to read through all the pages of recommendations for High Quality sound albums...

But I recommend Glitch artist Tipper.

Tipper - Surrounded (DVDA-DTS-CD)
$50 from Amazon.com!! For that much money I am going to do some research first to see if there is a good chance I may like the music.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For classical music lovers, I highly recommend this HD track :

Pergolesi: Stabat Mater - A tribute to Pergolesi

I am listening to a 96/24 flac right now. It sounds so smooth, the vocal and strings sound absolutely smooth with no signs of grains/grated at all for the whole 70 minutes of enjoyment. Very nice for both serious and background (while surfing the net) listening.

This track should erase any doubt of anyone who may think certain tweeters sounding bright or edgy, it is your source. Treat yourself with high quality recordings if you have accurate speakers.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
For classical music lovers, I highly recommend this HD track :

Pergolesi: Stabat Mater - A tribute to Pergolesi

I am listening to a 96/24 flac right now. It sounds so smooth, the vocal and strings sound absolutely smooth with no signs of grains/grated at all for the whole 70 minutes of enjoyment. Very nice for both serious and background (while surfing the net) listening.

This track should erase any doubt of anyone who may think certain tweeters sounding bright or edgy, it is your source. Treat yourself with high quality recordings if you have accurate speakers.
Did you make burn this disc? I have used Itunes and some sound just fine at normal volume, others (R&R) played loud were a bit grated. I purchased a SACD of Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" and played it back in stereo.. WOW this one was recorded Great.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you make burn this disc? I have used Itunes and some sound just fine at normal volume, others (R&R) played loud were a bit grated. I purchased a SACD of Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" and played it back in stereo.. WOW this one was recorded Great.
I downloaded it from hdtracks.com for $17.98. I have the Norah Jones one in vinyl already but may acquire the SACD if I see a good deal.:D

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I downloaded it from hdtracks.com for $17.98. I have the Norah Jones one in vinyl already but may acquire the SACD if I see a good deal.:D
I would like to hear the NJ LP as the SACD thru my Bluray on "Pure Direct" mode ( no eq or processor) is so clear and real sounding. Like she is standing in front of you. The L to R seperation is great.

I am new at burning CD's and need to learn more about FLAC etc. as I am not very good with PC. Old Grand Dad that has been analog for years, love my old Revox R2R.

J

josko

Audioholic
A very topical post Peng.

This BD, I recently got, recorded on a label I have never heard of before, is stunning. I would say absolutely as good as live, and probably better then other than the best seats in the hall. I actually just can't believe it. It has told me my rig is better than most media, which is interesting.

Apart from everything being correct, it is the first recording that actually captures a hard crash of big cymbals, just like you hear live. The body of the crash is full and powerful as well as the HF, just like live. I think the reason for this is the huge dynamic range. The energy and spl, in a massive crash of symbols is enormous. BD can deliver the goods, if you have enough fire power in your speaks and amps. There is no part of the frequency spectrum that is not spot on in this recording. It is stunning and the best recording I have heard to date anywhere any time. The performance is wonderful also.
I bought the disk based on the quoted post. I agreee that it's a recording masterpiece. It has restored my faith in the belief that recording excellence is not dead. I'm off to order the rest of Abbado Mahler symphonies.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I bought the disk based on the quoted post. I agreee that it's a recording masterpiece. It has restored my faith in the belief that recording excellence is not dead. I'm off to order the rest of Abbado Mahler symphonies.
Glad you enjoyed it. This is now my reference recording for demonstrating this rig. I have not failed yet to absolutely amaze all visitors, including those with life long experience in professional audio.

The Met are releasing their Live in HD productions on BD now. I will report more on this at a later date.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
I really hope that the Mylo Xyloto mention was a joke. That is one of the worst recorded albums in a long time. It's absolutely awful. Totally compressed, and clips everywhere.

Now, good stuff!
Cat Power - The Greatest. Specifically the vinyl pressings, but even the digital copies are beautifully recorded. The vinyl is fantastic though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis